Snorkling Question

R&Ronashipagain

I am not a strong swimmer but have always wanted to snorkle. A friend told me that she went on a snorkle trip and the people wore life jackets and basically just had their faces in the water. I had never heard of this, but it would sure work for me. How would I find such a trip as this. Would it say beginner snorkling? I am talking about a Carribean trip, if this helps. Hope this is not a stupid question!!!:(

As long as you are not in a strong current it is easy. You really don't need to be able to swim well. Often boats will have little foam pieces you can use or you can either put the life jacket on backwards or just lay on top of it to hold you up. I am not big on going underwater since I have trouble clearing my snorkel so I just float along viewing what is underneath. The trick is to relax and not fight it. It's like floating on your back but you are on your stomach, if that makes sense. And most excursions have people to be nearby if you are new at it. If you are at a good spot you will become so involved with the sealife that you will forget to worry about the technique. And who cares if it makes you look like a novice- you ARE a novice. Nothing to be ashamed of there!

I am not a strong swimmer but have always wanted to snorkle. A friend told me that she went on a snorkle trip and the people wore life jackets and basically just had their faces in the water. I had never heard of this, but it would sure work for me. How would I find such a trip as this. Would it say beginner snorkling? I am talking about a Carribean trip, if this helps. Hope this is not a stupid question!!!:(

there is a great snorkelling spot at boatyard beach in barbados, where you get taken out about 100 metres and wear lifejackets and can feed the fish and snorkel over shipwrecks. it lasts for about 60 minutes and you get free rum punch from the boat driver! :p

I love to snorkel, and am a poor swimmer, at best. The biggest problem that most have with snorkeling for the first time is getting a mask that is a comfortable fit, and does not leak. Also, for the first time it is usually easier to get in the water from a beach than from a boat. Carol

I'm not a super strong swimmer. Every snorkling trip I have been on gives you inflatable vests to wear. You can inflate them if you need (me), or leave them deflated if you want to dive (my husband, the former swim team member).

Hi There R&R-

Because DH and I love to snorkel so much - we decided to invest in our own gear - you can get a pretty good set at Target - for like $20-$25 - it's easy to pack and you do not have to use gear that someone has used. Most of the tours that we have been on do provide the snorkel, mask, flippers and vest but note they put the snorkels and masks in a big bin with water and some kind of clorox solution and everyone picks from there. Kind of icky:eek:

If you do get your own gear you can practice before hand in a pool, the tub or wherever :-) The first time I snorkeled was in Aruba - it was great and the instructor was wonderful but the current was strong and tying to keep with the current and learn how to breath through the snorkel was somewhat uncomfortable. I think if you practice first you will be much more comfortable when you are in the open sea.

Oh and just some additional advice - don't wear any kind of makeup, face cream or hairspray that just runs down the face into the mask and stings the eyes. Been there done that - just not worth it.

Oh and the rum punch the usually serve - save that for after the snorkel:p Just some thoughts. Have a great time!

I agree with getting your own mask and snorkel and doing a few practice runs in the tub before your cruise. It's horrible to get a mask and find out that is doesn't seal well when it starts to fill up with water. If you buy a snorkel, get one with a purge valve on it so it will drain if it gets water over the top. I don't bring my own flippers when I cruise because they take up too much space. All the snorkel places should be able to give you fins and an inflatable jacket.

If you have a stop with a beach, I'd recommend you trying snorkeling on your own from the beach before you go out to a reef. It's easy - just like floating but breathing from the tube takes some getting used to doing. If you dive down too far, it will fill up and give you a mouthful of water. If you decide to try diving, make sure you get a breath of air first. When you surface, exhale quickly to dislodge any water still in the tube.

Have fun! I'm not a strong swimmer either, but I love to snorkel! Don't forget to bring an underwater camera.

You don't have to be a good swimmer at all to enjoy snorkeling. I agree with everyone who said to get your own well fitting mask. A blow up snorkel vest would hold you afloat with your face in the water comfortably without any effort. If you buy your own, it doesn't take up much space in your suitcase. Also, getting a dry top snorkel makes it much easier. Water does not get in:

http://www.snorkel-mart.com/master.cfm?CategoryID=29

I snorkeled for the first time in Grand Cayman and loved it. I went on a ships sponsored tour, Reef and Wreck I think it was, saw tons of fish but to my disappointment no turtles. I wore the inflatable vest, used their equipment, and could not believe that I waited until I was 54 to try it. Bought my own snorkel set at Costco upon arriving home and finally got to use it in Jamaica in January.:D:D

Hoping my next cruise will be back to the Caribbean, and to snorkel in every port. BTW DH says that the high salt content in the water is what helps me float with virtually no effort. Whatever... I know its not due to my swimming ability lol.

Archived