America's Cup 12 Metre Challenge Review

J Cruise

We just returned from the QM2 11-16 to 11-26 trip. After reading these boards, we decided to do the 8:30 trip. The America's Cup operator actually does 4 trips a day. However, be advised that different cruise lines reserve different times, and they are not necessarily the same time from week to week. I inquired of the operator, and the tour operator will not let you reserve with them direct if they know you are on a cruise ship, as it violates their agreement with the cruise lines. On our cruise, Cunard only had the 11:45 time reserved, but for this current week, Cunard had a 10:00 time reserved. We did the 11:45 trip and it was great. Plenty of wind and an authentic race with an enthusiastic crew of 3 pros and about 14 of the rest of us. If you want to work hard, be a main grinder. I was a grinder and my wife was a winch - a great combination. We were on the Stars and Stripes boat that actually won the America's Cup. We came in a close second to the other Stars and Stripes boat, but both of us beat Canada. Plenty of free beer, sodas and water on board. No toilet. Before getting on the boat, you get a good, and humorous, lecture on the history of the America'a Cup. We still had plenty of time to walk around town and shop, and have spent plenty of time in St. Maarten before. Take sunscreen. If you wear a hat, have a way to tie it on. If for planning purposes you want to know for sure what time your cruise line has reserved, contact the tour operator: St. Maarten 12 Metre Challenge, P.O. Box 820, Sint Maarten, N.A., Telephone 599-542-6419, Fax 599-542-0045/46,

http://www.12metre.com, info@12metre.com

As a follow up to my review on the America's Cup 12 Metre Challenge, let me add the following additional information. We anchored and tendered in St. Maarten. The tender let us off at the dock in the middle of downtown. There is no restroom on the dock - you need to use one at a restaurant or shop near the center of town before gathering as it will be 3 hours before you are back. The America's Cup 12 Metre Challenge assembles and departs from the same place on the main pier downtown. You get a good lecture on the history of the America's Cup on the dock and are divided into teams that are to be on the different boats. All teams get on a transport boat together to take you out to your respective racing boats, and you are transferred to your boat out in the water. While going to the racing boats, you are assigned a job, depending on whether you wish to be very active, medium active or passive. Once on the racing boats, you place the stuff you want to keep dry below. Wear clothes you don't mind getting drenched, such as a bathing suit. It is a wet sport. Once on your boat, you get instuctions from your crew as to how to do your assigned jobs, and safety instructions. Having owned a sailboat for many years, I would say that the "race" is realish. The tactics of the race are explained by the crew. After the "race" is over, you cruise around for a good bit, and then are transferred back to the transport boat to take you back to shore. Instead of going back to the dock in the center of town, you are first taken to the tour operator's shop on the waterfront half way between where the cruise ships dock and the dock at the center of town. There, you get free rum punch and are able to purchase tee shirts, hats, etc. The transfer boat is supposed to take you back to the main dock in the center of town, but most people seem to choose to walk. If you walk, be sure to say hello at the little hut of the "Beer Man." All brands of bottle beers, very cold, for $1.00 per bottle. If you do not have reservations through your cruise line, or if you wish to go at a different time than your cruise line has reserved, stop by the tour operator's shop which is on the docks about halfway between where the cruise ships dock and the downtown pier.

My husband and I did this excursion with some friends years ago and loved it, even though we raced in high winds and torrential downpouring rain. It was exhilirating, and the best shore excursion we've ever done. We would love to do it in January with our sons who will be with us on a cruise, but our youngest son is 10 years old, and he must be 12 for us to book it through the cruise line. Do you think it's possible if we stop at the tour operator's shop that you mentioned that he might be allowed to go if we book it there?

Don't know the answer. I checked our pre-cruise docs for the description and they also stated age 12 or above. Don't know if that was a restriction of the cruise line or the tour operator. I would suggest calling or emailing the tour operator and asking the question. Don't tell them you are on a cruise ship - just let them know you will be on the island and are interested in doing the race. Good luck.

We would love to do it in January with our sons who will be with us on a cruise, but our youngest son is 10 years old, and he must be 12 for us to book it through the cruise line. Do you think it's possible if we stop at the tour operator's shop that you mentioned that he might be allowed to go if we book it there?
The real minimum age limit for children (with parents) experienced with sailing is 7. The question would be if there are still any slots open on the day you visit. The number of boats put into service on any given day depends largely on the number of cruise ships in port and the number of advance bookings. They regularly book full.

Gary

• 1 month later...

Archived