What RCCL ship cruised Bermuda in August,1988

C-sea

In doing a bit of research, I see the Sovreign OTS debuted in 1988 but it doesn't say what the itinerary was. Could that have been your ship?

Oh crap, check out this sentence. I think I found your answer:

The Song of America debuted in 1982. Weighing 37,584 tons and with 1,402 berths, it was the largest cruise ship built in 20 years. The new ship enabled Royal Caribbean to expand its itineraries, and in 1985 it moved outside the Caribbean for the first time, offering summer cruises to Bermuda from New York City.

This was from answers.com. A whole bio on RCCL.

Sovereign was way to big for Bermuda. Back then, the ships went to St. George & Hamilton and Sovereign was way too big. Now they have a pier at King's Warf for the big ships.

Hard to believe today that the Sovereign was "too big"

Sovereign was way to big for Bermuda. Back then, the ships went to St. George & Hamilton and Sovereign was way too big. Now they have a pier at King's Warf for the big ships.

Hard to believe today that the Sovereign was "too big"

Hard to believe indeed!

So are you saying the article I quoted is completely wrong???

I can't imagine it's not the Sovreign, since it says in 1985 it started doing NY-Bermuda cruises.

The article briefly mentions the Viking Seranade but nothing about its itinerary.

Ahhhhh I typed "I can't imagine it's not the Sovreign..." and meant to say Song...

Too many Ses. Thanks for clearing me up!

Nordic Prince I believe

Hi All,

I'm loving this dialog back and forth! I believe mudslide mama is right. We sailed the next summer in the caribbean on Sovereign and it was our first time on that ship.

One more riddle... we cruised Alaska in August, 1990...What ship???

Thanks All,:o

Cheri

In doing a bit of research, I see the Sovreign OTS debuted in 1988 but it doesn't say what the itinerary was. Could that have been your ship?

Oh crap, check out this sentence. I think I found your answer:

The Song of America debuted in 1982. Weighing 37,584 tons and with 1,402 berths, it was the largest cruise ship built in 20 years. The new ship enabled Royal Caribbean to expand its itineraries, and in 1985 it moved outside the Caribbean for the first time, offering summer cruises to Bermuda from New York City.

This was from answers.com. A whole bio on RCCL.

I saw this info also, but I took it to mean the co. started service in Bermuda not any particular ship.

1990 Alaska Sun Viking out of Vancouver possible?

No,Not SunViking, we cruised on her in August 1979 for 2 weeks on our honeymoon ( in the caribbean) and I would have remembered if it was the same ship.

This is an interesting thread to me. My first sighting of a cruise ship was at sea off Bermuda and it was an RCCL ship I first saw. Back then I said to a co-worker no way I'll ever pay to go on a cruise when I can get paid to ride the seas....boy do times change. Now it is one of my favorite kinds of vacation...

Of course now the new ships are 100K Tons bigger than back then, but that allows for the addition of so many more new activities that I like which is one reason I am now an avid cruiser.

I would agree with the Song of America.

That was the 1st Ship I sailed on in 1995.

I did a land vacation in Bermuda in 1985 and remember the Song of America docked in Hamilton. At that time they allowed civilians to go on the ship and take sneak peaks. We did and decided the next time we wanted to go to Bermuda would be a Cruise.

That started the whole Ball rolling with cruising for us!:D

I saw this info also, but I took it to mean the co. started service in Bermuda not any particular ship.

The article definitely meant the Song because it said, "and in 1985 it moved outside the Caribbean for the first time, offering summer cruises to Bermuda from New York City."

We sailed from NY to Bermuda in 1991 and it was on the Nordic Prince, that ship changed names at least 3 times, from Nordic Prince to Nordic Empress to Empress of the Seas before it was retired to Azamara a few years ago.

Just want to clarify a bit for you here. The Nordic Prince and Nordic Empress

were 2 different ships. The Nordic Prince kept the same name until being sold back in the 90's. Neither ship was ever transferred to Azamara.

To the OP: Other posters are correct, its was the Nordic Prince back in 1988.

We sailed from NY to Bermuda in 1991 and it was on the Nordic Prince, that ship changed names at least 3 times, from Nordic Prince to Nordic Empress to Empress of the Seas before it was retired to Azamara a few years ago.

TheMS Empress is a cruise ship operated by Pullmantur Cruises . She was formerly operating for Royal Caribbean International as Empress of the Seas. The ship was ordered by Admiral Cruise Lines and was intended to be called Future Seas and join the other Admiral Ships Azure Seas and Emerald Seas. However, Royal Caribbean merged with Admiral in 1987, the Admiral brand was dissolved and the newbuild (still under construction) was incorporated into the Royal Caribbean fleet. A few signature Royal Caribbean brand elements were added, including the Viking Crown and Windjammer Cafe. The ship was originally named Nordic Empress and was the final RCI ship whose name did not end with "of the Seas". The name was changed to match the rest of the fleet following an extensive rebuilding that ended on 8 May 2004. Nordic Prince was not the Nordic Empress, see below:

Hi folks,

We did our first cruise in August 1988 from NYC to Bermuda. There were two ships sailing that route (actually exchanged entertainers for the trip back to NY). The ships were the Song of Norway and the Nordic Prince.

Hi folks,

We did our first cruise in August 1988 from NYC to Bermuda. There were two ships sailing that route (actually exchanged entertainers for the trip back to NY). The ships were the Song of Norway and the Nordic Prince.

I thought it might have been the Song of Norway and not The Nordic Prince so I'll go with that!

Thanks!

Archived