Prince Albert to the Arctic

floridaphilly

We are considering a July Prince Albert expedition to the Arctic. At first we had considered just during the fjords. Can I please hear some reactions from anyone who has taken the Arctic Itinerary. Also if we book the Adventure Class with portholes only will we be making a mistake. My guess is that we will be on Zodiacs all day and not in the room. There are no sea days. All input would be greatly appreciated

We are considering a July Prince Albert expedition to the Arctic. At first we had considered just during the fjords. Can I please hear some reactions from anyone who has taken the Arctic Itinerary. Also if we book the Adventure Class with portholes only will we be making a mistake. My guess is that we will be on Zodiacs all day and not in the room. There are no sea days. All input would be greatly appreciated

Floridaphilly, we just booked the PAII for July Arctic and with a porthole. I can't speak for PAII, but we just got back from Minerva in the Antarctic and in a porthole. I can also tell you when we went to Galapagos a number of years ago we had the most expensive largest Master Suite (one of only two on Santa Cruz that had a balcony). We were never in our cabin in any of these expedition adventures. I hope this helps. It never bothered us and the only way I could go to the Antarctic and Arctic the same year.

One thing I do want to tell you is that I hope if you are considering one of these cruises that you call SilverSeas and request the 7 day hold (while you figure out the air). I did not do that (didn't know they would hold anything without a deposit because no other cruiseline has done that) and within a day the stateroom was not available on the Greenland expedition that was my first choice (better dates for us). Also, I was a little ticked with SilverSeas because their website makes it look like all these category staterooms are available and then you call and find out many are sold out. Their website is not in real time. They actually took money from me for a cruise, told me I was on a wait list ("but it shouldn't be a problem to get a stateroom released within a day")and when I had a TA call found out I was #7 and was told "o" chance to get off the wait list. So, I don't like the way that was handled, but now we are going to Arctic Norway...

July 4, 2009

That is the cruise we are on. Note that there is a sea day the first day per the itinerary. My experience is that that day will probably be spent with 4 lectures if its anything like Minerva. We had the mammal expert, the bird expert, the geologist and a photo coach. The morning would likely be spent with a boot fitting if you are borrowing boots.

We are coming into Tromso the night before, and there is a forced overnight in Oslo on the way back to the US (unless you are planning on stopping there). I am only sorry that we do not have time to spend in Oslo. I guess I'll have to find out if there is anything to do at night on the 14th.

I was always interested in the Coastal Voyage but could not justify Hurtigrutens price (at least right now) for the accommodations and for 6 or 7 nights. We also do not eat fish and they have one set meal each night without options (I understand it is a working ship) and also charge for bottles water. But anyway the Fjords aren't going anywhere.

• 4 weeks later...
Jade13: thanks for the good advice about what sort of cabin to take.

We've always gone for a Veranda, but have now booked a Vista: for this same one as you and Floridaphilly are on.

Oh great, I started a roll call. It's on this same page a few rows down. Let me know what you are doing, if anything, pre/post cruise. I don't know if Floridaphilly booked because she has not been back.

Can someone advise as to what level of fitness would be necessary for this cruise?

Thank you,

Basedow

Basedow, I can only speak of my experience on an Antarctic expedition with A & K on Minerva. Many of the same expedition staff is also listed on SilverSeas web site, and A&K had a trip on PAII recently - so many of the same expedition leaders. You go on zodiacs either exploring the area or for landings. Those who are more fit would do the longer hikes, and those who were not, or not interested, could just stay in the landing area. One thing with expeditions is that we do not know exactly where we are landing or what might be there. But, we do have the list of possible landings that I posted. You might want to google to see what you can find. I have not had a chance yet.

Archived