Curious about Gdansk, Poland? I can answer your question...

Hello. I would be grateful for some advice on getting from the cruise port in Gdansk to the Old Town on a Sunday. How far is it and do you have any idea of what a taxt would cost (and where to get one?) We will be in Gdansk on Sept 18 for just a few hours - 8am to 2pm - on the Oceania Regatta. Thanks...

Sorry, that date should have been Sunday 13 September...

I was on the Regatta in Gdansk in July. The tram that goes to the old town is about a 10 minute walk from the pier. There will also be numerous cabs right by the ship if you'd rather do that. There will be a local rep on board that morning who can answer questions, give directions and maps.

If you take the tram, beware of pickpockets!!

How might we get to the Solidarity Monument and Shipyard. We have transportation to Gdansk, but will be on our own while there. Is there a bus? Is it possible to walk?

Thanks,

I've asked this question a couple times and I'm hoping someone can provide some advice based on your own experience or perhaps advice from someone living in Gdansk.

Is there an easy way to get to the Solidarity Monument from the major sightseeing areas in Gdasnk? From looking at the map, it doesn't seem like it would be a short walk. Any idea what a cab might cost? We're not opposed to taking a bus either. We will get to Gdansk from Gdynia on a bus provided by Princess. However all of our sightseeing will be on our own. Therefore we would need to get to the monument and then back the area in town where we need to meet the bus for the ride back to the ship.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

The shipyard is a distant place from parking lot neighbouring the Old Town, where your bus most probably will leave you. You will need to ask you guide for further assistance if you want to call the taxi. No buses going there. You might take the tramway but this is another, long walk. Old Town area is a large place that is closed for any traffic at all.

Trying to figure out how far it is, I would say that this will be about 2 km from the parking lot.

The shipyard is a distant place from parking lot neighbouring the Old Town, where your bus most probably will leave you. You will need to ask you guide for further assistance if you want to call the taxi. No buses going there. You might take the tramway but this is another, long walk. Old Town area is a large place that is closed for any traffic at all.

Trying to figure out how far it is, I would say that this will be about 2 km from the parking lot.

Thank-you for the information. I guess we'll ask someone on the bus to Gdansk for their advice.

• 6 months later...
I am living here and will be happy to answer any question about this maginificient, historical town - birth place of Solidarity and Mr Lech Walesa. I am retired now but used to travel a lot. I know that well prepared travel may stay in your memory for your life time:)

Good morning, Polish Pie......I'm hoping you can help with a question. We will be in Gdansk on May 19 with Princess and are looking at a ship's excursion. The following is a description of the walking portion of one of the tours. Since we have moderate mobility issues, I have been trying to get an idea of how much time we would be on our feet but haven't found a map in English to map out the route. Are you able to give us any indication of how widespread this walking tour might be and if the area is relatively flat or quite hilly?

Gdansk Main Town - Your guided walk begins near Golden Gate, an ornamental arch that allowed access through the medieval city's walls. Walk along Long Street, passing Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque buildings to the Town Hall, Long Market and Artus Court, a 15th-century merchant's palace. Pause at Neptune's Fountain, a symbol of Gdansk's Hanseatic Past. Walk to a waterfront canal before turning up St. Mary's Street with its terraced buildings and quaint shops.

Thank you for any assistance that you might be able to provide.

Sandy :)

Good morning, Polish Pie......I'm hoping you can help with a question. We will be in Gdansk on May 19 with Princess and are looking at a ship's excursion. The following is a description of the walking portion of one of the tours. Since we have moderate mobility issues, I have been trying to get an idea of how much time we would be on our feet but haven't found a map in English to map out the route. Are you able to give us any indication of how widespread this walking tour might be and if the area is relatively flat or quite hilly?

Gdansk Main Town - Your guided walk begins near Golden Gate, an ornamental arch that allowed access through the medieval city's walls. Walk along Long Street, passing Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque buildings to the Town Hall, Long Market and Artus Court, a 15th-century merchant's palace. Pause at Neptune's Fountain, a symbol of Gdansk's Hanseatic Past. Walk to a waterfront canal before turning up St. Mary's Street with its terraced buildings and quaint shops.

You will manage, I am sure. Gdansk Old Town area is located in about 1 km area in terms in distance. It includes Motlawa river where your tour starts and spreads about 800 m further. Long Market Square, just by the river, is the place where you may prefer sitting and watching around. You will not miss much as all, must see spots will be around.

You will manage, I am sure. Gdansk Old Town area is located in about 1 km area in terms in distance. It includes Motlawa river where your tour starts and spreads about 800 m further. Long Market Square, just by the river, is the place where you may prefer sitting and watching around. You will not miss much as all, must see spots will be around.

Thank you very much for your quick response. The walking now sounds doable so we can book this tour. My family dr. is from Poland and she has told me that we will enjoy seeing your wonderful country.

Sandy

Thank you for your kind help to us. Do you know which dock the cruise ships use in Gdynia (Princess May 19 in our case) ? How far from there to South Pier and what are the transportation options to there instead of train station? Is the Internet Cafe still in the Gemini or do you know someplace to use WIFI? Thanks again

I checked it as I am not familiar with cruises in our ports. It will be the French pier, about 2,5 km from the South pier. There is only one bus in the port area and it goes to the train station. The South pier is by the sea - the other direction.

There should be taxis about 10 minutes walk from the ship or by the ship. You can also book the transporatation at some tourist agencies. The entrance to the port requires special license and I am not sure how many taxis have one. This may be safter booking in advance using internet sources.

I copied the website of the closest inetrnet cafe in Gdynia

http://www.monte.com.pl/kontakt.htm\ if Gemini doesn't work. You can see on the map KOSCIUSZKO SKWER. This is the South pier. Hope that it will help.

I'm interested in taking the train from the port in Gdyna to Gdansk.

My notes - I've cut and pasted my notes from several sources, and I hope someone can confirm what I have cobbled together so far (can you help me polish pie?):

You will be docking in Gdynia. First thing you will need than is transportation to Old Town of Gdansk. The drive takes at least 1.5+ hours by car (or even more at rush hour) and 40 minutes by train. The port of Gdynia is rather deserted. There are no shops, kiosks, ATM/exchange or other facilities within the port area; just ships.

There is only one public bus going from port of Gdynia to Gdansk; so better to take train.

You can take a bus #137, or taxi from the seaport to the Gdynia train station (Szczecin) at Dworcowa Street, which is about 2 km. Buy tickets from the bus driver (you will need cash to buy tickets - one bus ticket will be 2.50 PLN) and then buy train tickets at the train station.

Bus #137 DEPARTS the port on Saturdays at: 9:32, 10:02, 10:32, 11:04. Bus #137 does not return passengers to the port from the train station??? The bus transport is not expensive here as the prices start from just 2 PLN for a 15 minute journey.

The main Gdynia station is well outfitted with an ATM, currency exchange, tourist information, a hairdresser, a few snack bars and 24-hour internet access. City centre lies right outside the station and the main street, Świetojańska, is a 10 minute walk away by turning right out of the station and following 10-Lutego.

You will need Polish currency to purchase train tickets. The best deal is using Kantor exchange offices located everywhere, also at the train station. Tickets may be bought from a vending machine at the entrance to the platform; remember to validate your ticket before you board the carriage (you can find them on every train station at special yellow automatic ticket machines) as ticket controls checking passengers’ tickets are frequent.

When travelling in the coastal area of the Tricity of Gdansk, Sopot and Gdynia, then look out for the SKM commuter train which connects Gdansk and Gdynia. It is a 40 minute ride which stops at all the in-between smaller stations that the PKP trains do not. The SKM runs very frequently, about every 15 minutes from platform 1. As a rule, tickets are valid for travel by one specific type of train, only. Take the SKM - You will stay on to the last station called GDANSK GLÓWNY. Does the PKP also stop at GDANSK GLÓWNY???? Does the PKP also return to Gdynia????

Pick up free map in Gdansk GLÓWNY train station. The main station in Gdansk is a ten minute walk west of the historic city centre. The station has currency exchange (open 24 hours) is in the hall leading off the main lobby and there are a couple of ATMs. Public phones are either end of this hall.

To get to the town go down the steps opposite McDonald’s and turn right. Pass the old ladies selling flowers and mittens and head straight for the EMPiK bookshop. Then turn right again, and head up the steps leading to ul. Podwale Grodzkie.

Or, from station, take pedestrian underpass by McDonalds, exit to right & follow busy road to LOT air building then left to the brick towers. (From Upland gate up the main street, you’ll see everything from there). Red building across from town hall is tourist office with maps. Heart of the Old Town is Powroznicza Street.

On return from Gdansk to Gdynia (Szczecin station), catch SKM train on tracks 3-5.

Bus #137 does not return to the port, so take taxi back to port from train on the return journey????

I'm interested in taking the train from the port in Gdyna to Gdansk.

My notes - I've cut and pasted my notes from several sources, and I hope someone can confirm what I have cobbled together so far (can you help me polish pie?):

You will be docking in Gdynia. First thing you will need than is transportation to Old Town of Gdansk. The drive takes at least 1.5+ hours by car (or even more at rush hour) and 40 minutes by train. The port of Gdynia is rather deserted. There are no shops, kiosks, ATM/exchange or other facilities within the port area; just ships.

There is only one public bus going from port of Gdynia to Gdansk; so better to take train.

You can take a bus #137, or taxi from the seaport to the Gdynia train station (Szczecin) at Dworcowa Street, which is about 2 km. Buy tickets from the bus driver (you will need cash to buy tickets - one bus ticket will be 2.50 PLN) and then buy train tickets at the train station.

Bus #137 DEPARTS the port on Saturdays at: 9:32, 10:02, 10:32, 11:04. Bus #137 does not return passengers to the port from the train station??? The bus transport is not expensive here as the prices start from just 2 PLN for a 15 minute journey.

The main Gdynia station is well outfitted with an ATM, currency exchange, tourist information, a hairdresser, a few snack bars and 24-hour internet access. City centre lies right outside the station and the main street, Świetojańska, is a 10 minute walk away by turning right out of the station and following 10-Lutego.

You will need Polish currency to purchase train tickets. The best deal is using Kantor exchange offices located everywhere, also at the train station. Tickets may be bought from a vending machine at the entrance to the platform; remember to validate your ticket before you board the carriage (you can find them on every train station at special yellow automatic ticket machines) as ticket controls checking passengers’ tickets are frequent.

When travelling in the coastal area of the Tricity of Gdansk, Sopot and Gdynia, then look out for the SKM commuter train which connects Gdansk and Gdynia. It is a 40 minute ride which stops at all the in-between smaller stations that the PKP trains do not. The SKM runs very frequently, about every 15 minutes from platform 1. As a rule, tickets are valid for travel by one specific type of train, only. Take the SKM - You will stay on to the last station called GDANSK GLÓWNY. Does the PKP also stop at GDANSK GLÓWNY???? Does the PKP also return to Gdynia????

Pick up free map in Gdansk GLÓWNY train station. The main station in Gdansk is a ten minute walk west of the historic city centre. The station has currency exchange (open 24 hours) is in the hall leading off the main lobby and there are a couple of ATMs. Public phones are either end of this hall.

To get to the town go down the steps opposite McDonald’s and turn right. Pass the old ladies selling flowers and mittens and head straight for the EMPiK bookshop. Then turn right again, and head up the steps leading to ul. Podwale Grodzkie.

Or, from station, take pedestrian underpass by McDonalds, exit to right & follow busy road to LOT air building then left to the brick towers. (From Upland gate up the main street, you’ll see everything from there). Red building across from town hall is tourist office with maps. Heart of the Old Town is Powroznicza Street.

On return from Gdansk to Gdynia (Szczecin station), catch SKM train on tracks 3-5.

Bus #137 does not return to the port, so take taxi back to port from train on the return journey????

You should follow not Szczecin but GDANSK GLOWNY sign. The train from Gdynia stops after 40 minutes in GDANSK GLOWNY. And on return you will come to the same station, the same platform and will take return train to GDYNIA GLOWNA - your first stop. Yes, there is no bus going from station - GDYNIA to the port. You will need take taxi. Be carefull - pick pockets happen mainly when you are entering and leaving the train. Three, four guys forming crowd and pushing you in or out.

You should follow not Szczecin but GDANSK GLOWNY sign. The train from Gdynia stops after 40 minutes in GDANSK GLOWNY. And on return you will come to the same station, the same platform and will take return train to GDYNIA GLOWNA - your first stop. Yes, there is no bus going from station - GDYNIA to the port. You will need take taxi. Be carefull - pick pockets happen mainly when you are entering and leaving the train. Three, four guys forming crowd and pushing you in or out.

All clear now...

Thank you!

Good morning, Polish Pie.....we are thinking of explore Gdansk on our own after taking Princess transportation into the city. It would be appreciated if you could answer a few questions.

1. Are we likely to encounter any citizens who can speak English or will language will be issue for us as we wander thru the city, primarily the old town?

2. Are there public washrooms? Will we need Polish currency to use them?

3. Are taxis safe to take? Are there taxis that are more reputable than others? Do drivers speak any English?

4. Finally, are you able to recommend a restaurant for us to grab a quick bite of lunch?

Thanks for your help.

Good morning, Polish Pie.....we are thinking of explore Gdansk on our own after taking Princess transportation into the city. It would be appreciated if you could answer a few questions.

1. Are we likely to encounter any citizens who can speak English or will language will be issue for us as we wander thru the city, primarily the old town?

2. Are there public washrooms? Will we need Polish currency to use them?

3. Are taxis safe to take? Are there taxis that are more reputable than others? Do drivers speak any English?

4. Finally, are you able to recommend a restaurant for us to grab a quick bite of lunch?

Thanks for your help.

Trying to answer:

1/ English will be no issue at all. Being official EU language English is in fact the second, widely learned language in Poland.

2/ There are public washrooms available. There are paid to attendants who accepts most likely Euro coins.

3/ Taxis are save. There are dozen of companies so this is difficult to specify one. These, waiting for cruisers in the port may be very expensive. Always negotiate the price before you start. Taxi drivers speak basic English. I bet they know/understand all figures in English so discussion will be possible.

4/ Grabbing the lunch - this may be an issue. My friends from Baltimore said last year that whoever opens the sandwich shop in Gdansk will be millionaire in one summer. Lunches are only seated lunches here, more early dinners than lunches you may look for. The only place offering sandwiches/pastries that I know within the Old Town area is PELLOWSKI CAFE, right opposite the main Town Hall, in the middle of everythiing. Go there in the morning, before hundreds of hungry tourists discover their lovely sandwiches and pastries /really limited amount/, grab some to your bag for pennies and save it for a lunch unless you want to be seated in one of hundreds of restaurants and cafeterias. Enjoy:)

Hope Sandy that it helps. You will love Old Town of Gdansk!!!

Hello Polish Pie,

I have a question you may think strange, but I'll give it a try.

I have Polish currency: zloty, grosz/grosze/groszy, krolestwo, that are older coins/bills from the communist era. Are these currency legal tender today? Is there a date where a switch was made? The amount I have are mostly leftover currency from family visits to Poland in the 1970's.

Can you help me?

Dzienkuje, Pan!

Andrea

Thank you very much Polish Pie for all the help you have given as we plan our excursion in Gdansk. If you ever come to Toronto, Ontario, Canada, I will be most happy to return the favour and help you in any way I can.

It was my pleasure Sandy:) I visited Hamilton last year:)

Andrea, we all have these left overs at our homes. They are no more legal tender in Poland. The switch was made in 1991 if I remeber well. Old money was converted 10 000 to 1 PLN - Polish New Zloty.

They will be worth something in 100 years, I would say.

Prosze Pania bardzo:)

Dzienkuje, Polish Pie!

I thought something had changed, but before I wrote it off, I wanted to double check. I remember something similar happened back in the 1920's.

The coins I have actually go back to the 1917-18 and 192_, so I'll tuck them away for a hundred years!

• 3 weeks later...
Dear Polish Pie....you have been so good about answering questions and so I just want to offer my condolences for the recent losses your country has suffered.

Take care,

Sandy

Thanks a lot Sandy for you words of comfort.

We have never suffered such a tragedy within the time of peace.

Our top politicians, army generals, priests and other officials were flying to pay tribute to thousand of Polish officers that had been killed in Katyn/Smolensk. The air crash happened just there.

We keep preparing to the funeral ceremony in Cracow, now.

THEY will be burried by Polish kings and poets at historical Wawel hill.

We are pleased to hear that so many friends not only from Europe but US and other countries will be with us in Cracow, on this Sunday.

Archived