Amsterdam-Budapest...Help on Cruise Line

ballfamily

We are considering an amsterdam-Budapest trip in Sep 2010. Any suggestions on which tour company to look at? we dont want to pay for a "luxury" cruise, but we don't want to take "bottom of the barrell" either. Any help is appreciated!

Dh and I cruised Budapest to Amsterdam on Avalon in 2007. We went to Budapest a few days early as we had not been there before. What a beautiful city. I know some will disagree but we do not like Amsterdam at all. We loved Avalon and had no complaints at all. We chose Avalon as we had done several Globus land tours and Globus owns Avalon. Think about Budapest to Amsterdam instead of reverse as you would cruise right thru any bad weather instead of it following you the whole way. Most of the cruise companies do this route so you should be able to compare them. With Avalon you have the largest standard cabins at 172 sq ft and French balconys. Also included is your touring in every city and wine is served with dinner.

I would check for last minute deals this year as cruising is down a lot from the last few years probably due to the economy. I've received offers from Viking,Grand Circle and Avalon for 1/2 price or 2 for 1 deals this year.

Hi ball.......... I know that you would enjoy Uniworld's River Princess doing that itinerary.

I have done 2 Uniworld cruises on other ships and my colleague did Budapest to Amsterdam on River Princess. After her doing 25 Princess cruises, she wanted to prove me wrong and not enjoy river cruising, but finally had to admit that that trip was her favorite cruise ever.

• 1 month later...

Hello Ball Family:

We did Budapest to Amsterdam with Vantage and it was great. We upgraded to A-2 cabin, which is on the top deck and has a french balcony. Cabins were large and comfortable and while you can't sit on the balcony it is nice to be able to open the sliding door and lean out. I agree budapest to Amsterdam is better route. I researched many river cruise lines including Viking and only difference I found was that Vantage included air fare from NY in the price. Most companies do not. Vantage also included tour of Schoenbrun Palace, which was on my must see list and others either did not include it at all or offered it as an optional. One thing Viking had that Vantage does not is a swimming pool. We went in late Sept. so that wasn't an issue but if you're planning a trip in summer it could be a deal maker.

No matter which company you choose....it's a wonderful trip. ;)

We are considering an amsterdam-Budapest trip in Sep 2010. Any suggestions on which tour company to look at? we dont want to pay for a "luxury" cruise, but we don't want to take "bottom of the barrell" either. Any help is appreciated!

In Aug, we are doing budapest-amsterdam on viking's brand new ship the legend. we have priced and compared the lines and ships and experiences of other posters and viking made sense to us. we have been fans of ocean cruising and this will be our first river cruise. if we are pleased with the viking experience we plan to do china and Russia with them. also thinking of a barge in France. the only draw back we have found so far with viking is the wine package (unless you want to count our june cruise being canceled--the legend was delayed). our t.a. who has been on over 100 cruises recommends viking.....so we will post and review our aug. cruise.:)

Dean

Dean - we are also thinking of a barge in France. Do you know of anyone who has taken a any? Also for 2010, all of Viking's cruises are half price including the wine package. We have taken two cruises with Viking and they were very good. One of the bartenders that we had on Viking Sun told me he was beinf transferred to the new Legend. His name Jochen.

Dave

Dean - we are also thinking of a barge in France. Do you know of anyone who has taken a any? Also for 2010, all of Viking's cruises are half price including the wine package. We have taken two cruises with Viking and they were very good. One of the bartenders that we had on Viking Sun told me he was beinf transferred to the new Legend. His name Jochen.

Dave

Dave, thanks ill look him up. for the record the wine package has not been reduced, just called. the only draw back to a barge is that all of them are short.. a week to 9 days!! we prefer longer adventures. however, the experience, from what i have researched is fantastic!

Dean

Hi Dean - I know you said the wine pkg has not been reduced but if you go to the Viking web site , 2010 itinerary, dates and prices, it states 2 for 1, $1000 off air and complimentary wine pkg in the red block payable by May 31.

Archived