Suggestions post cruise Athens 6 nights

We have 6 nights in early October after a cruise which ends in Pireaus. We've seen Athens, Santorini, Mykonos, Crete and Corfu. We're interested in perhaps taking a ferry out of Pireaus to a different type of Greek Island - one a little more lush and quieter than the normal touristy ones. Can anyone suggest an island within 10 hours ferry distance of Pireaus that we could spend five or six nights? If so, can you tell me the exact name of the port we would have to catch the ferry to? I have found the Greek ferry website fine if you know the myriad of names of these small places but extremely confusing for those of us who are clueless.

Some of us like to explore a place in some detail, folks. While going to a new place is enjoyable, so is digging a little deeper into a familiar area.

At any rate, you might consider Naxos (name of the island and also the port). Largest of the Cycladic and good connections for day trips to its sister islands.

Some of us like to explore a place in some detail, folks. While going to a new place is enjoyable, so is digging a little deeper into a familiar area.

At any rate, you might consider Naxos (name of the island and also the port). Largest of the Cycladic and good connections for day trips to its sister islands.

We've actually been to Istanbul as well. Thanks for the suggestions (Turkey/Italy/France) but we're trying to avoid having to fly anywhere else. Being from Oz, we have enough long-haul flights as it is!

Naxos is one we've been considering and we could get off the cruiseship then get onto a ferry at Pireaus on the same day. Day trips from there are a good thought and worth exploring, thanks :)

We've actually been to Istanbul as well. Thanks for the suggestions (Turkey/Italy/France) but we're trying to avoid having to fly anywhere else. Being from Oz, we have enough long-haul flights as it is!

Naxos is one we've been considering and we could get off the cruiseship then get onto a ferry at Pireaus on the same day. Day trips from there are a good thought and worth exploring, thanks :)

Enjoy the trip where ever you end up. BTW, I am in love with Istanbul and was not arguing against it.. just answering request for suggests on Greek Island.

Interesting election results coming out of Queensland!

Interesting election results coming out of Queensland!

Aussie Aussie Aussie?

Yeah, Anna Bligh's back in. First Premier ever elected in her own right in Oz. She's alright - better than the alternative anyway.

Any other info on Greek Islands would be welcome.

Aussie Aussie Aussie?

Yeah, Anna Bligh's back in. First Premier ever elected in her own right in Oz. She's alright - better than the alternative anyway.

Any other info on Greek Islands would be welcome.

No, I'm an American.. might be the only such creature with Sydney Swans hat and a copy of the DVD of their Grand Finals victory a few years ago. I support Oz in cricket, Fiji in Rugby 7s, anyone other than France in standard Union and refuse to watch League. :)

I am not sure what interests you. I must admit I have a hard time believing you are going for a beach holiday as it is impossible to beat your home waters for that. If interested in ancient history/archeology then Crete would be the best, but any of the islands (Naxos most certainly included) have places of interest.

I suggested Naxos as a compromise.. it is large enough so that different interests can be satisfied and if yo like to wander, it's links to other islands is excellent. On the downside, it is 7 hours away by standard ferry and 3 by hydrofoil.

No, I'm an American..

I'm impressed - sounds like you understand us - not always easy for Americans.

might be the only such creature with Sydney Swans hat and a copy of the DVD of their Grand Finals victory a few years ago. I support Oz in cricket, Fiji in Rugby 7s, anyone other than France in standard Union and refuse to watch League. :)

You've obviously never watched a State of Origin game between Queensland and New South Wales - try it sometime. Even Tina Turner loves Australian Rugby League.

I am not sure what interests you. I must admit I have a hard time believing you are going for a beach holiday as it is impossible to beat your home waters for that.

I must totally agree with you on that one - especially as we walk along our beach on a daily basis. Beautiful one day....perfect the next.

If interested in ancient history/archeology then Crete would be the best, but any of the islands (Naxos most certainly included) have places of interest.

It's more that we thought we'd need a bit of time to chill out before returning home and that we could immerse ourselves in traditional Greek culture for a while. So, no, beaches (or even history) aren't the major part of it. Just quiet relaxation/cultural experience. I've heard of Chania in Crete which is supposed to be nice.

Come to think of it - maybe we don't have to go to an island. I'm already finding that the ferries are booking up very fast. Perhaps we could find a nice place outside of Athens in the countryside for a nice 'tree change'. I'll have to check that out.

BTW - Tour de France is one of our favourites too. We stayed up night after night last year but really enjoyed the whole experience.

Archived