Stroller or baby carrier (or both)?

displaced

Hello fellow families! We're going to Alaska on NCL Pearl in early May this year. Our DS will be 9 months old by then, and probably 18 pounds or less. I almost Never use our regular stroller but instead put DS in a carrier when we're out and about. But usually I carry him on short errands (carrying him less than an hour or so at a time). If it's a long walking-type trip (long mall day or outside zoo activities), I'll bring the stroller and the carrier and use both as I get tired or if he gets fussy and wants to be held. Even then I would use the stroller much less than 50% of the time we're out. I do get tired on those trips from carrying him so much. On our cruise DH will also be there to help carry DS at ports, on the ship, etc.

I had never even considered bringing the stroller on our cruise because of the space it will take up, but after some searching here, a lot of families felt it was a must have item (if not for strolling then for sleeping while at dinner, etc). DS will sleep on my lap as of now when we're out at night and he's tired. Do you think we need a stroller or can we get away without one? FWIW we'll also likely bring the carseat and that will take up quite a bit of space on board, so would a stroller on top of that take up too much space?. I want to hear all the opinions on the matter. :D TIA!

I wouldn't be without a stroller for my 7 mo. She feel asleep in it almost every night at dinner and she is so heavy to carry around all the time. I got a Combi stroller that was very lightweight (13 lbs). and folded up nicely. We actually had two of them in the cabin (one for 3 yo.) and they fit in the closet (we had a junior suite with a walk-in).

I had both a wrap and a sling. My kids were not big "stroller" babies but I was glad I brought one for the cruise! Turns out we were far from the kids' club and she was just too tired to walk after a long day...

You might also need a stroller to transport the car seat, in the airport, on and off the ship. It might be helpful for that.

I can't imagine traveling without our stroller. At 6 and 7 mo we used the stoller a lot for naps during dinner or while by the pool. Plus, I imagine you will go on some excursions in Alaska that will require a lot of walking so the stoller would be good for that too. It sounds like you use your stoller at lot less than we do in general but I would stil say it is better to have it and not need it than the other way around. We brought a McClaren Quest when folded up easily and fit in our closet.

Like the 3 previous posters, I agree. I think a stroller is an essential. I wear my younger son in a mei tai for most outings, but want the option of putting him down sometimes. So I say, bring both! :)

When are you traveling on the Pearl? We're going May 17th with two little ones.

We always brought both, the stroller and the baby bjorn when ahe was an infant. I would carry her sometimes in the bjorn and use the stroller to carry stuff (great for embarkation/debarkation) when you have a ton of baby stuff with you. On ship and in ports we used the stroller a ton, walking around the ship, at dinner, in the evenings for shows etc. We have a peg perego aria. Fit perfectly folded up in the closet on both Carnival and RCCL cabins.

Like the 3 previous posters, I agree. I think a stroller is an essential. I wear my younger son in a mei tai for most outings, but want the option of putting him down sometimes. So I say, bring both! :)

When are you traveling on the Pearl? We're going May 17th with two little ones.

Ahhh! We're leaving May 10th. Wanna switch and travel with us? ;)

I guess everyone is voting to bring the stroller. I'm just dreading travelling with it. Maybe I'll pick up a cheap one for the trip instead?

When my kids were little I used the carrier exclusively until they were about 22 lbs (the limit of the Bjorn). I did have back muscles of steel though. They easily fell asleep in the carrier, so a stroller was just never a consideration for me on that front.

If you're only considering a stroller because other people listed it as a "must have", they probably use them at home too. If you think you can handle the hikes or any sight seeing or excursions you have planned, then I don't think there's any need for a stroller.

BUT if you think you would welcome a chance to un-strap and push your son for a while on longer treks, get an umbrella stroller.

My daughter bought a Graco umbrella stroller for our last cruise and it was great. It folded up very small. One night the little one fell asleep at the dinner table and she moved him to the stroller to sleep.

My daughter bought a Graco umbrella stroller for our last cruise and it was great. It folded up very small. One night the little one fell asleep at the dinner table and she moved him to the stroller to sleep.

I didn't know kids could sleep in the little umbrella strollers. They look less comfortable and don't lie flat. I don't think I could carry around DS all day in a carrier by myself, but my husband will be there to carry DS around as needed. Even one day on the weekend carrying around DS most of the day leaves me sore the next day (and wanting to hit the gym!).

Now I'm on the fence again, especially with lugging around the carseat too... :rolleyes:

Check out the Graco umbrella stroller, she got it on sale for $70, not one of the cheap ones and the 2 year old was in it a lot. There's a lot of walking on a ship and in port. It also had a sun shade and a storage place underneath, yet folded up very compact for storage, and it did recline enough for sleeping.

My daughter was 9 months when we took our last cruise. I just rented a stroller from Carnival ( I assume other lines do that as well). The thought of taking our own the stroller or infant carrier is too daunting. For me, the rented stroller and sling was adequate for our needs.

I think you'll need a stroller though- a 9 month old isn't likely to be content sitting in mommy's lap for very long. At least mine wasn't. It's a big exploring age. I would definitely NOT take the infant carrier though- that's too big and bulky and he'll be old enough to no need it anymore.

If you are bringing the car seat anyway, I would get one of the stroller frames that the car seat can snap onto. We have a graco snugride car seat and use the Graco Snugrider stroller frame. It is fabulous in airports, folds up nicely, and does not require all that much space. They sell for around $59. We are cruising in Alaska in May as well and that stroller plus the car seat will be with us. I also use a sling, but I cannot imagine trying to do a week long trip without a stroller of some type.

I think I'll call the cruiseline to see if they have any strollers we can rent as needed. We don't have an infant seat so those options don't apply. Actually we're likely going to have to buy a new carseat that's lightweight and easy to travel with (like Costco Scenera). I'm thinking of doing the same for an umbrella stroller.

I think I'm just overthinking this! :D I used to never be a planner until I had a child. :rolleyes:

If you are bringing the car seat anyway, I would get one of the stroller frames that the car seat can snap onto. We have a graco snugride car seat and use the Graco Snugrider stroller frame. It is fabulous in airports, folds up nicely, and does not require all that much space. They sell for around $59. We are cruising in Alaska in May as well and that stroller plus the car seat will be with us. I also use a sling, but I cannot imagine trying to do a week long trip without a stroller of some type.

I agree, if you are bringing the carseat anyway, use the carseat "frame", not the full stroller that it can snap into. The frame is small, plus the baby will be a lot more comfortable in the seat sleeping than on your lap or carrier. Plus you will enjoy the freedom to move around easier.

Have fun!

I've seen those carseat frames but I thought they were just for the infant seats. (I've never seen one in use). That sounds like a good idea, and probably would take up less room than a regular stroller? I guess they're pretty safe too? DS does fall asleep in 5 minutes in his regular carseat but almost never in the stroller.

I love this board! You are all so helpful! :)

ETA -- All I see on the Internet are those frames that are for infant seats. We only have convertable seats. Do they have frames just for the convertable seats to lock onto? Sigh...

Definitely take the stroller!!! We cruised with our son at that age and took our stroller (with the big wheels). We will never regret it. If the carrier is small, take it too. But if you have to choose, take the stroller.

Archived