Baltic info please

Cabinboy1943

Hi All

We have never cruised the Baltic before but are booked on x909 Oriana in June. We would be grateful for a bit of info. This relates to two of the ports. Is there anything worth seeing in Gdynia, if not how far is it to Gdansk? The other one is how far to Bruges from Zeebrugge. Also are there duty free shops in Zeebrugge? Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Cabinboy.

Hi Cabinboy,

I would highly recommend taking a trip into Gdansk, very interesting city with some wonderful architecture. We did a combined tour of Gdansk with a visit to Stutthof concentration camp. The camp tour was very moving and made you realise how fortunate we are.

When you get to Zeebrugge you will find local buses at the port that take you right into the centre of Bruges, it's a short trip and a must do as Bruge is an astounding place.

Have a great time.

I have been to Bruges 3 times in last 3 years (3 different weekender cruises on Aurora and Ventura)

Bruges is wonderful and well worth a visit Cabinboy, lot of quaint shops, or go for a boat trip through the little canals. Bruges is about 3/4hr from Zeebrugge port by coach, we take the easy carefree option -do the 'Bruges on your own' tour, coach from ship to centre of Bruges, a map and a free chocolate! The nearest town from Zeebrugge is BLANKENBURG, I believe a free shuttle bus runs from ship to the town, where you can also get a train to Bruges (too much hassle for us, but lots do it to save a few pennies/pounds). Blakenburg is said to be very pleasant , also with chocolate shops and duty free shops.

A few photos of bruges in this album, click link, also in another album 'Amsterdam and Bruges on Aurora...

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AuroraWeekenderCruiseDec06#5088431316256823778

Hi All

Thank you for your replies and advice it is much appreciated. I looked at Gdynia on Google earth and can see why folks go to Gdansk. Bruges looks wonderful and thankyou for the photos Libralass. I could feel the calories going on just looking at the chocs etc. I always feel a bit nervous using local transport if where we are going is a bit of a distance from the ship, so we are going to do Gdansk and Bruges on your own tours. More expensive but cheaper than missing the ship when you get back. Once again thank you all.

regards

cabinboy

Speaking of Bruges as anyone seen the film In Bruges, it came out last year a black comedy set in Bruges. Stars Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson as two hit men who get banished to Bruges by boss Ralph Fiennes after Farrell screws up a job. Gleeson is enchanted by Bruges while its Farrells worst nightmare, comedy and tragedy follow the two of them in equal measures. I can highly recomend the film in which Farrell gives a career defineing performance.

Cabinboy

good choice, i choose 'on your own Bruges tour' for exactly the same reasons... PLENTY TO DO FOR 5 HOURS.

We choose the tour in the afternoon starting at 12.30pm, we get a lie-in, a lazy waiter served breakfast, and a look around the ship before we go - we do weekenders to see new ships. :)

• 1 month later...

We are new to cruising on a big boat. We are on the Oriana Baltic Cruise on June 15.

How easy is it to go ashore without an organised tour? We have booked organised trips in St Petersburg but would quite like to explore on our own in places like Helsinki

Oslo and Stockholm. We would welcome any advice. (this is a great site ! ):)

There are shuttle buses in Helsinki, Oslo and Stockholm to take you into the town. It depends on what you like doing from there. In Helsinki we took a boat trip around the islands which was very interesting but it depends on the weather. We picked it up in the harbour near the market not far from the shuttle bus drop point.

Brian

There are no duty-free shops in Zeebrugge, or any other for that matter. Blankenberg has a fair shoping centre and plenty for the chocaholic but it lacks the charm of Bruge.

Don't be put off the idea of doing Bruge yourself. The shuttle bus from the ship takes you passed the station and there will be a guide at the bus to tell you about the train.

For the over 60s the fare was €5 return. In Bruge you are just outside the town. It is a short walk into the centre; just follow the crowd. DIY gives you far more cash to coffee and chocolates. The walk also burns off a few calories :)

There is one train per hour.

We found all the baltic capitals with the exception of St. Petersburg very easy to get around by yourself.

Helsinki the HOHO Bus was waiting right by the dock and this was good value enabling us to see all the major sites, Rock Church, Sibelius park etc.

Olso also has a good HOHO bus service which covers Viglen park, museums etc.

Copenhagen & Stockholm are very easy to walk around and we also did a river boat trip at each.

Seach the extensive destination/ports info on Cruise Critic and you will lots of good advice on the porrts you are visiting.

We have done the Baltic twice and really enjoyed it both times, have a great cruise.

Adrian.

One train per hour to Bruges? We were there on a Sunday too, what if it was full, late or cancelled...sorry not for me, I don't want to miss the ship, much rather take the pando tour coach in direct from the ship and know that the ship won't leave without me if there are traffic jams en-route- which here have been...ok it costs more, but for me its worth it for peace of mind...

Very easy to explore the Baltic ports by yourself.Easy bus trips into town or walking distance.

Would definitely recommend the Fram museum in Oslo,amazing to be able to stand on Amundson's ship,also the Kon-tiki museum right next door.Easy boat trip across the harbour to the museums,buy tickets at a kiosk few minutes walk from the cruise ship dock.

Other highlights, boat trip in Copenhagen and Crown jewels at the Rosenborg Palace,you can get really close up to them unlike London!

Gamla Stan,interesting shops to look around in Stockholm and the changing of the guard.

We found Oslo the most expensive.

Helsinki possibly the least interesting,we walked about 30 mins from boat to see Sibelius monument but there is nothing else in the park,not even and ice cream van! Rock church worth a visit but very crowded with tour buses. An interesting market on the quayside.

Great trip,enjoy. St Petersburg is amazing.

One train per hour to Bruges? We were there on a Sunday too, what if it was full, late or cancelled.

Cancelled! Cancelled, this isn't Britain plc.

In fairness we were there on a Monday and the train in to Brugge was a double decker inter-city. When it arrived at Blankenburg it was FULL. When we left it was FULL.

When we came back it was a single decker and it was FULL. That said, it didn't leave anyone behind.

Archived