Galveston/Grand Princess

westcliffebob

Which ports are you going to?

Your best bets would probably be to visit the following forums to look for information, and if you can't find any, then asking a question:-

Princess Roll Calls to look for a roll call for your cruise

The ports of call main index, to go to the forums for your ports of call

The main Princess forum

Going to Belize, Majahual, Gran Cayman and Cozumel. I've been to suggested pages on Princess sites but looking for unbiased opinions. Also seems as though there is not much time in Belize to do anything other than a walking tour or something that is only several hours long.

Bob

Well, as you probably already know these are the forums for Belize, Majahual, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

You can't really do better than going to these boards if you don't entirely trust what you're being told on the Princess boards. You'll find people who have been on many different lines posting on the ports boards.

I think that's about as much as I can think of to help you navigate around CC. Hope it helps.

Hi Westcliff Bob,

My husband John and I will be on the same cruise as you. I have searched the boards, and no one has started a thread about this sailing, other than you. I have started a thread in the Roll Call - Princess, and perhaps we can get some others involved as well.

We chose this cruise as it seemed to have a very interesting itinerary, however on reading many of the posts throughout, it seems that some of them may be very commercial. We are looking for snorkeling and ruins as our favorite destinations, as well as any jungle type tours. There are tons of websites that I need to explore to figure out what we want to do. We have taken excursions in the past from the ship, and while they were well run and provided comprehensive information, it seems that there were too many people. This time I will probably schedule things in advance from smaller companies.

Where are you from? We are from Philadelphia, and you can imagine how much we are looking forward to the warm weather.

Judi

Bob P - I was just on the Grand for her Nov. 8th sailing. We were only a 5 day trip so we didn't do Belize or Grand Cayman. I can tell you, that Cozumel has some great snorkeling. The trick is to book an independent tour so you aren't with the HUGE cruise ship crowds. We've used Shoretrips.com in the past and were happy with them and their service. They actually have excursions all throughout the Caribbean. Eagle Ray Divers is also excellent in Cozumel; we used them a couple of years ago.

The Costa Maya day is a great "hang out at the beach" kind of day. We rented a golf cart and took it to the town of Majahual and "hung out" at one of the places on the beach. Cheap beers, great food and great beach.

Sorry I can't help with the other places. Good luck to you!

Haven't sailed Princess, but have been to Belize and Costa Maya (Mahahual).

In Belize, we did the Zoo excursion. This is different than any other zoo you will experience. You are on the other side of a simple fence from the animals and no walls or big barriers.

In Costa Maya, after a morning of shopping, we rented a gas powered golf cart and drove about 15 minutes to the village of Mahahual. We sat at a little beach side bar and drank Sol beer. Just had a blast.

Cozumel, went to Paradise Beach and laid out there. You can take your snorkel gear and do some snorkeling about 50 feet from the shore. You can also float in the water and climb on a trampoline in the water....

Check out the link in our signature for pics.....

My inlaws are taking your cruise, and we're on the one the very next week! Maybe we'll see you getting off as we get on! :) We're doing the cave tubing through Marvin's Wet and wild while in belize. also the stingray city in grand cayman. Haven't decided on the other ports, would like to see some mayan ruins but figured we'd need to go through the princess excursions due to the late arrival times.

Belize is good for ruins because it is a short trip out there and the ruins are large and recently excavated. We booked with the "registered Belizean tour guide" among the many who will greet you as the tender pulls up. It is world renowned for diving, which we have not done there, although my friends who have have said it is good for coral, but not so much for fish. We snorkled at one of the Cayes (booking desk right inside the building you have to go through when you get off the tender) and it was not a lot of marine life.

Cozumel is good for snorkeling and diving with lots of pretty fish. Ditto on the private boat unless you like the 300 fins of your 150 closest friends in your face on the ship's tour.

Cayman was also good for snorkling when we went 13 years ago. I don't know the effect of the recent storms. We just walked from the end of the pier to the first dive shop we saw and got in there and it was fine. People say Stingray City is a blast, but we haven't done it. Hope to on the next cruise.

If you haven't snorkeled before, you might feel more comfortable if you did it with the ship for the first time out. It isn't hard, but it's a little something to get used to putting your face in the water and breathing.

Cozumel is good for some kinds of shopping, Cayman is a more upscale shopping experience, complete with more upscale prices. Belize was good for some handicrafts, but beyond that, I'd save my money. There is a "tourism village" right where the tender lets you out.

*This is our opinions only. Your mileage may vary!*

CAD

Archived