Getting from Messina to Taormina by bus.

We will be calling at Messina in August on Solstice. I'm keen to visit Taormina having spent a couple of weeks in that area over 20 years ago.

We'd like to travel to Taormina by public transport and then do our own thing including a nice lunch. The ships tour is very expensive and doesn't give enough free time . I'm sort of ruling out the train because of the need to then catch the bus.

I'd really like to hear from anyone whose made the bus trip to Taormina( and to Castel Mola?). How easy was it ? Were there too many people for the bus? Where is the bus station in Messina? etc

Thanks in anticipation.

We will be calling at Messina in August on Solstice. I'm keen to visit Taormina having spent a couple of weeks in that area over 20 years ago.

We'd like to travel to Taormina by public transport and then do our own thing including a nice lunch. The ships tour is very expensive and doesn't give enough free time . I'm sort of ruling out the train because of the need to then catch the bus.

I'd really like to hear from anyone whose made the bus trip to Taormina( and to Castel Mola?). How easy was it ? Were there too many people for the bus? Where is the bus station in Messina? etc

Thanks in anticipation.

Read the trip review in our Italy-Croatia cruise listed in the sig line below. Complete details on the bus to Taormina. Easy and fun trip.

Neglected to answer part of your original question. Was the bus crowded? No, not at all. When we departed Messina there were 6 of us from the ship and 2 local folks. Added and subtracted people along the route. It was really interesting because you could tell we were picking up regular locals along the way and then dropping them off near their market area. They knew the driver and he knew them (even waited a couple of minutes because one lady was running behind schedule.) You just don't see things like that on a tour bus!

Neglected to answer part of your original question. Was the bus crowded? No, not at all. When we departed Messina there were 6 of us from the ship and 2 local folks. Added and subtracted people along the route. It was really interesting because you could tell we were picking up regular locals along the way and then dropping them off near their market area. They knew the driver and he knew them (even waited a couple of minutes because one lady was running behind schedule.) You just don't see things like that on a tour bus!

Is the bus waiting in front of the ship or somewhere else? Do we have to make an advanced reservation or we can buy the tkts on board?

Tks a lot..

Is the bus waiting in front of the ship or somewhere else? Do we have to make an advanced reservation or we can buy the tkts on board?

Tks a lot..

You must walk to the bus stop by the train station. Details are on our Messina review page at http://www.ftroute.com/ITCR/Messina.cfm . Very easy walk. No advanced reservation and you should purchase tickets before you board.

Archived