Another question on soda cards

My guess is that this has been discussed before, but I'm relatively knew to this board...

Anyway, I noticed that soda cards on RCI ships are somewhat expensive (I remember that on our last cruise - on Sea Princess - in March 2003 we were charged $20/7 days). If there are two of us traveling, anything to prevent us from getting one card and then let that card holder get the drinks for both of us (even if it means stopping at two different bars)? Thanks in advance for your replies.

With a Coke card you can only get one drink at a time. But if you play it right, you can get a drink for yourself, leave the bar and then go back or to another bar and get one for your partner. I was the only one in our group of 4 with a Coke Card and we really didn't do this more than a couple times by the pool so please don't flame me for cheating, but when I told our asst waiter I had a Coke card and would like a Coke with dinner and my MIL didn't have a card, but wanted a Coke too, she winked at me and brought her a Coke (tap, not can) every night and didn't charge us.

[ If there are two of us traveling, anything to prevent us from getting one card and then let that card holder get the drinks for both of us (even if it means stopping at two different bars)? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Yes, there is something from preventing you from using a soda card for two or more people. Good manners, and honesty. I am willing to bet that when the RCI powers decided to offer an all you can drink card for one price, they didn't mean all you and your friends can drink. Just because you "can" do something doesn't mean you should! Each time someone chooses to abuse a system, that system is in jeopardy for everyone else. I have read many, many justifications for this practice, i.e. 1) the crew doesn't mind; 2) the price is too high and I don't get my money's worth; 3) it's more convenient; 4) we only do it once or twice and on and on. There is a saying, if you can't pay don't play! There are many beverages for free. If you want a soda, juts buy it; you are after all on a Cruise, not a bargain basement tour of a discount store.

I am NOT trying to flame you. I just truly believe we all need to think about are behaviors. And I will say it again - Just because you can (or can get away with) doesn't mean you should!

Bon Voyage!

I have a question about soda at meals. Without the card, is the drink situation like Applebees or such where you pay for the Coke and they keep refilling it. Or, is a Coke "A" Coke and if you finish it you pony up the cost for a second soda?

From my experience, it's "A" coke. At least at the bars. Not sure about the dining room. Anyone know?

JH: Talking to some folks about integrity is a bit like talking to some folks about tolerance -- it's an expectation they place only on others, not on themselves. I believe that most folks, however, don't think about the integrity aspect of this scenario until someone like you raises the issue and helps them understand it.

JH: Talking to some folks about integrity is a bit like talking to some folks about tolerance -- it's an expectation they place only on others, not on themselves. I believe that most folks, however, don't think about the integrity aspect of this scenario until someone like you raises the issue and helps them understand it.

Apparently from an earlier response you are so right! How sad is it that taking short cuts and cheating systems is becoming a norm? Thank You for your support.

By the way I very much like your Sagen quote.

Archived