Vegan options on NCL?

librahi

Please note: I made no disparaging comment regarding anyone's choice of diet. It is not widely known that many kinds of beer are not vegan-friendly. I drink a lot of different kinds of beer, so I'm in that loop.

There is no soy milk, it is soy juice. Semantics, but still.....

i caught it too, didn't mean to quote yours, sorry! and yes, beer is not all vegan. actually, most wine isn't either. Egg whites, casein (a milk protein) and isinglass (a product made from fish bladders) are commonly used in the wine industry during production to clarify wine. i know guiness isn't vegan either, never cared for it to begin with. plus i just feel like crap when i drink so i don't do it too often. boy did i when i was in college..... i did enough for 10 years, so i'm almost caught up...

I certainly can respect your choice. And I know how tiresome it can be to always have to explain it, defend it, rationalize it to a lot of people. My DH is a vegetarian (no meat or seafood), but once a year or so (like on a cruise) he'll have beef. I am mostly a vegetarian but eat chicken and some seafood. I've reached a point where I just don't really expend a lot of energy trying to explain it! We all have our reasons and preferances when it comes to food, period. And probably very few of us are particularly logical where food is concerned. We just ... eat what we eat.

Simple curiosity is one thing, but I am asked over and over again by people who aren't vegetarians WHY my husband is. And--since I only eat chicken (meat-wise)-- why I am! I eat CHICKEN, how can I be a vegetarian?! :confused: I do see the humor in it all (sometimes), though. :D People are funny creatures.

i guess i don't defend it that much anymore, was just looking for help on the board, not people popping in to talk about eating beef. but then again, who cares. maybe i was just in a cranky mood cause i can't figure out where to go on my vacation this year! and i do think it's funny that people think chicken or fish are vegetarian. cracks me up. people have choices and can do as they wish and i do what i wish and feel is the right thing to do. i wake up every morning and feel great about my life's choices and that's what matters. i do all i can to help other people and other living beings. i don't litter, i try to be as "green" as possible, so i do what i can to help the planet as well. then again, i want to fly all over the earth and take cruises that produce tons of .... well, whatever, but you know what i mean. i love traveling! :)

Most cruise lines offer you the option of requesting certain types of food, if you let them know early enough. WE did try the Kosher food on one cruise. UGH, I can still taste that in my mouth. If you contact NCL, they might be able to have something for you when you are ready to dine.

A LOT of beer isn't vegan. But then of course, I don't care:)

There is no such thing as soy milk. Milk comes from mammals.

From Websters:

1 a: a fluid secreted by the mammary glands of females for the nourishment of their young ; especially : cow's milk used as a food by humans b: lactation <cows in milk>

2: a liquid resembling milk in appearance: as a: the latex of a plant b: the juice of a coconut composed of liquid endosperm c: the contents of an unripe kernel of grain

From Websters:

1 a: a fluid secreted by the mammary glands of females for the nourishment of their young ; especially : cow's milk used as a food by humans b: lactation <cows in milk>

2: a liquid resembling milk in appearance: as a: the latex of a plant b: the juice of a coconut composed of liquid endosperm c: the contents of an unripe kernel of grain

ooh, busted...

As an aside, while I could never adhere to a vegan diet, I admire those who can. I just don't have that kind of will power, I suppose.

That being said, while NCL cannot specifically cater to Vegan vegetarians, most if not all of the vegetarian selections on the menus can be altered (not sure that is exactly the correct word, I hope you understand) to accommodate the needs of a vegan diet. Once you board the ship, arrange a meeting with the restaurant manager so that you can let them know. Also, I would call your TA, or NCL (depending on how you booked) and let them know you are vegetarian, so at least they have some kind of advance notice.

I hope this is helpful to you. Have a great trip.

Archived