Vegan options on Holland America?

librahi

My wife and I are looking to cruise in northern Europe in June or July and have heard many mixed reviews of which lines offer the best options for vegan meals. I am 6'1" and weight 170 pounds, but I eat like I weight 300 pounds, always have (even before becoming vegan 4 years ago). Anyway, I need options and not just salad, potatoes, fruit, pasta.... Anyone that can help, it would be very appreciated! Does HAl=L offer good options or take care of vegans?

HAL has one vegetarian dinner entree each day. It may or may not be vegan. They also have a separate vegetarian menu which I think contains some vegan items. Orders have to be placed the previous day. We didn't seen the veg menu on our Feb. cruise, but I didn't ask. We are ovo-lacto and find the regular menu veg entree usually to our liking. The evenings appetizer and soup/salad choices usually contain one vegetarian item each which again may or may not be vegan. I don't think any of the soups are vegan.

Breakfast buffet should have enough choices for you. The lunch buffet would be doable for a vegan, but you'd need to be creative.

HAL's dinner vegetarian entrees are often very short on protein. No doubt created by someone who thinks vegetable and low calaries = vegetarian. They do usually have tofu one night.

It is actually better than many restaurants.

I've also sailed on Carnival and Princess and don't think they have any more choice; possibly less.

Also the dining stewards are usually very helpful and will check on something if you ask. We sometimes ask if a soup is vegetarian, so you might be able to ask if it is vegan. I've also found them helpful in the lido buffet.

I am not vegan but a member of my family is. She often found when travelling (ships or land based) that a lot of places did not understand the concept of vegan. Some did not even really understand vegetarian.

I think you need to speak to your head waiter at the start of the cruise and explain what you can and cannot eat.

As someone else said, you may need to order your meals in advance.

I am not vegan so I have never confronted the issue on board....but....my advice would be to contact HAL directly in Seattle before you book and talk with them about a vegan menu offering.

Someone made a good point earlier that many folks have trouble even understanding a vegetarian concept let alone a vegan one...and that includes a number of Chefs I know!!!

It won't enhance your cruise experience getting on the ship only to find out that the galley crew cannot provide you exciting and interesting vegan options.

Just my thoughts.

Good luck with it.

Gee...I thought that is what posts 2,3 and 4 did!

If you want vegan meals on a HAL ship....call HAL BEFORE you book to make sure the galley can even 1) prepare vegan meals, 2)get the ingredients for vegan meals, and 3) are willing to prepare a vegan meal for one of two passengers.!

To do that you call HAL in Seattle and ask to speak to food services and ask them what they can do....and are willing to do....then decide if you want to sail with the.

The fact that this thread was no immediately filled with vegan eaters should give you an indication as to how much experience HAL gallies have in preparing food in this style!!! Sorry we couldn't have been more help!

Gee...I thought that is what posts 2,3 and 4 did!

If you want vegan meals on a HAL ship....call HAL BEFORE you book to make sure the galley can even 1) prepare vegan meals, 2)get the ingredients for vegan meals, and 3) are willing to prepare a vegan meal for one of two passengers.!

To do that you call HAL in Seattle and ask to speak to food services and ask them what they can do....and are willing to do....then decide if you want to sail with the.

The fact that this thread was no immediately filled with vegan eaters should give you an indication as to how much experience HAL gallies have in preparing food in this style!!! Sorry we couldn't have been more help!

thank you! i've been asking around on different cruise lines and inadvertently posted that here (the wording of my last question). but all that i have been told is very helpful. thank you very much. i'm amazed even anyone answered...

From HAL's website:

"Dietary Needs

Special dietary needs, such as vegetarian, diabetic or gluten-free meals, are easily accommodated with advance requests. Kosher meals and a Health Conscious Dining option are also available. To arrange special meals, please contact the Ship Services Department at 800-541-1576 at least 60 days prior to departure."

Hi Librahi,

I'm sorry to have to tell you that, judging from my daughter's experience, you're going to be "swimming against the current". We went on a family cruise to Alaska on the Zaandam in June 2007. My daughter is a zealous vegan who will eat no animal products whatsoever.

A poster above quoted from the HAL website about special food requests. She saw the same information, got in touch with them, and filled out the required form. It asked about her dietary requirements and any products that they should get special for her. She asked for a few things including Earth Balance brand buttery spread, vegan cream cheese, and tofu-based yogurt. After she submitted the form, they didn't get back to her to acknowledge it, so she got it touch again and was told that if she sent it then they must have received it, and they would take care of her needs. It seems that the customer service people at HAL will tell you whatever it is you want to hear, true or not.

When she got aboard, the dining staff had not heard about her requests. Nothing had been done. The head waiter was fantastic. He did everything in his power to help, but he came into it thinking that vegan meant vegetarian, so she was definitely going against the current. When he proudly brought her some Jello salad, he was surprised to find out that gelatin is an animal product. That's the way it went.

At the first stop, in Juneau, she found a health food store, bought the things that she had asked for originally, and brought them aboard. The dining room staff kept them refrigerated for her and brought them out on request.

Every night, the head waiter brought the next day's vegetarian menu and they went over it so that she could figure out something suitable for the next night. The choices were limited, mostly vegetables, starch, and salad. Not much in the way of protein.

All in all, she got by, but it wasn't really her idea of a satisfactory dining experience.

Marc

Hi Librahi,

I'm sorry to have to tell you that, judging from my daughter's experience, you're going to be "swimming against the current". We went on a family cruise to Alaska on the Zaandam in June 2007. My daughter is a zealous vegan who will eat no animal products whatsoever.

A poster above quoted from the HAL website about special food requests. She saw the same information, got in touch with them, and filled out the required form. It asked about her dietary requirements and any products that they should get special for her. She asked for a few things including Earth Balance brand buttery spread, vegan cream cheese, and tofu-based yogurt. After she submitted the form, they didn't get back to her to acknowledge it, so she got it touch again and was told that if she sent it then they must have received it, and they would take care of her needs. It seems that the customer service people at HAL will tell you whatever it is you want to hear, true or not.

When she got aboard, the dining staff had not heard about her requests. Nothing had been done. The head waiter was fantastic. He did everything in his power to help, but he came into it thinking that vegan meant vegetarian, so she was definitely going against the current. When he proudly brought her some Jello salad, he was surprised to find out that gelatin is an animal product. That's the way it went.

At the first stop, in Juneau, she found a health food store, bought the things that she had asked for originally, and brought them aboard. The dining room staff kept them refrigerated for her and brought them out on request.

Every night, the head waiter brought the next day's vegetarian menu and they went over it so that she could figure out something suitable for the next night. The choices were limited, mostly vegetables, starch, and salad. Not much in the way of protein.

All in all, she got by, but it wasn't really her idea of a satisfactory dining experience.

Marc

now that's the experience i was looking to hear. check HAL off the list... just kidding, but that's great help, many million thanks!

Archived