Vegan Options On Celebrity?

librahi

My wife and I are looking to cruise in northern Europe in June or July and have heard many mixed reviews of which lines offer the best options for vegan meals. I am 6'1" and weight 170 pounds, but I eat like I weight 300 pounds, always have (even before becoming vegan 4 years ago). Anyway, I need options and not just salad, potatoes, fruit, pasta.... Anyone that can help, it would be very appreciated! Does CCL offer good options or take care of vegans? I heard they used to have a separate menu but now that has changed?

My wife and I are looking to cruise in northern Europe in June or July and have heard many mixed reviews of which lines offer the best options for vegan meals. I am 6'1" and weight 170 pounds, but I eat like I weight 300 pounds, always have (even before becoming vegan 4 years ago). Anyway, I need options and not just salad, potatoes, fruit, pasta.... Anyone that can help, it would be very appreciated! Does CCL offer good options or take care of vegans? I heard they used to have a separate menu but now that has changed?

Hi.

I just got off the Constellation this past Monday and have been on other M-class Celebrity ships as well. I am a vegetarian, although not vegan. It is my sense that everyone will try exceedingly hard to meet your dietary needs. At the AquaSpa Cafe last week I was eating tempeh tacos! That was impressive. And I had a homemade pasta with mushroom dish that had to be vegan, I think, in the main dining room. You have to work at it but it can be made available. There's always curry for the asking and it was on the mdr menu one evening on our ten day trip as well. There are couscous and polenta dishes.

I think it's doable but, as well you know, takes effort. I find Celebrity to be very good with dietary concerns.

If I can be more helpful, ask away.

fern

They will try their best to cater to your needs, but they've never offered a vegan menu that I'm aware of (vegetarian, yes). I think they treat requests for vegan diets much like they do medical diets (diabetic, food allergy, etc). You'll probably want to notify Celebrity prior to sailing. Based on personal experience, I'd be wary of relying on the advice of any dining room staff when it comes to ingredients in any specific dishes.

Their FAQ in regards to specific dietary needs can be found here.

nice, thanks for the info. fernem, that's a great help. thank you. i've heard from many people that it's easy and that everyone tries to accomodate you and other websites tell you that they will accomodate most dietary needs but will NOT for vegan. that's crazy....

They will try their best to cater to your needs, but they've never offered a vegan menu that I'm aware of (vegetarian, yes). I think they treat requests for vegan diets much like they do medical diets (diabetic, food allergy, etc). You'll probably want to notify Celebrity prior to sailing. Based on personal experience, I'd be wary of relying on the advice of any dining room staff when it comes to ingredients in any specific dishes.

Their FAQ in regards to specific dietary needs can be found here.

Actually, there old vegetarian menus included at least two options per course, one of which was always vegan...

Oh, yeah ... I forgot the obvious ... the sushi. Every evening at five thirty (I think) they put out ceramic boat bowls, soy sauce and ginger and wasabi, chopsticks, and a lot of tasty sushi. There are always veggie rolls and miso soup with cubes of tofu, scallions, and nori to throw in.

It makes for a lovely outdoor with white wine snack if you have late seating for dinner!

fern

My diet is more restrictive than vegan: absolutely no animal protein, but also no nuts and absolutely no added oil. (It is the most effective cardiac diet known; Google 'Caldwell Esselstyn' for info) The added oil part is especially difficult. It pretty much allows just grains, veggies, legumes and fruit.

I returned in January from a 2 week Canal cruise with Princess, and arranged with the Head Waiter to view each evening the following day's menu. In most cases, the vegetarian meal was not allowed on my diet, but the kitchen seemed willing to make anything I suggested instead. In practice what I did was find some great dishes in the lunch buffet, and chose from them to suggest for dinner. For example, early in the cruise they served a scrumptious vegetable curry and a great Gazpacho soup. Afterwards, when nothing better occurred to me, I would order the vegetable curry and Gazpacho and next evening there were big bowls of both. After a while, the Head Waiter caught on, and would add various dishes on his own. I could not have asked for better service.

Next month I will be on Xpedition, and I am certain Celebrity will do equally well in accommodating my difficult diet.

Bill

Archived