NCL One Day Sale

d man

I'm a real newbie at this so help me understand what is SOP in the cruise industry.

We booked an Alaska cruise on the Pearl for May 17 (through a TA) in February (our first). I received an e-mail from NCL yesterday or the day before telling me about the one-day sale. I went on-line and looked at the current quotes for the class of cabin that we already have reserved (BA) and the quote came back $640 less than we already paid. I don't know if this is the "one-day" sale price or not. I sent the info to my TA and asked her to see what see could do. She called NCL and after an extended wait on the phone was told that we could get an upgrade to a mini-suite but nothing could be done about the fare.

I travel by air a lot so I understand that the guy sitting next to me on the plane may have paid 1/2 of what I paid or 2X. I also understand that NCL isn't obligated to do anything. However, I do find it more than a little annoying that NCL takes the time to send me an e-mail for something that they are not willing to sell me. It seems like a bad bit of PR to wave this in front of passengers that have already paid 20% more. What I think this tells me is that I should never book a cruise early? Or is this SOP for this type of vacation?

The mailing lists for specials have nothing to do with whether you are currently booked or not. It's not as though one is cross checked against the other. To give you an example, every week I get e-mails about fare specials from American Airlines and Continental. I could have very well paid much more for a flight that is now popping up in an e-mail at a much cheaper rate.

The travel industry uses pricing formulas that continually adjust prices based on the level of bookings. There is no set booking time that guarantees the best fares...early, late, or somewhere in between. If a flight or a cruise is not filling, the carrier will adjust the fares in an attempt to attract passengers. If a flight or cruise is booking well and approaching capacity, you're not going to get any late booking bargains.

I'm a real newbie at this so help me understand what is SOP in the cruise industry.

We booked an Alaska cruise on the Pearl for May 17 (through a TA) in February (our first). I received an e-mail from NCL yesterday or the day before telling me about the one-day sale. I went on-line and looked at the current quotes for the class of cabin that we already have reserved (BA) and the quote came back $640 less than we already paid. I don't know if this is the "one-day" sale price or not. I sent the info to my TA and asked her to see what see could do. She called NCL and after an extended wait on the phone was told that we could get an upgrade to a mini-suite but nothing could be done about the fare.

I travel by air a lot so I understand that the guy sitting next to me on the plane may have paid 1/2 of what I paid or 2X. I also understand that NCL isn't obligated to do anything. However, I do find it more than a little annoying that NCL takes the time to send me an e-mail for something that they are not willing to sell me. It seems like a bad bit of PR to wave this in front of passengers that have already paid 20% more. What I think this tells me is that I should never book a cruise early? Or is this SOP for this type of vacation?

I replied earlier about just this. Not getting a credit after final payment has been made. Royal Caribbean does this (for now anyway). If you don't take the upgrade did they offer you an onboard credit? Is the difference between a BA and a mini-suite $640 like the price drop? I'd be looking for a BIG upgrade or a BIG OBC. Good luck, you're TA should be going to bat for you!

Wish I could...but need to book an early Sept cruise...DD is having a baby in October...thus canceling my Bermuda cruise.

Totally understandable, jaja. We wish your DD the very best and healthy delivery possible!! Enjoy your cruise!! :)

DT

If NCL can't figure out how to filter an e-mail list i.e. send to "All NOT CURRENTLY BOOKED" in this day and age they need a new database and/or IT department - it is not ver hard.

If NCL sends an e-mail marketing to you specifically a lower fare than you have already paid them then they are obligated (logically if not legally) to offer you something in return for a) wasting your time b) dashing your hopes... whether it be the difference in fare or some kind of perk/upgrade. Just my opinion.

If NCL can't figure out how to filter an e-mail list i.e. send to "All NOT CURRENTLY BOOKED" in this day and age they need a new database and/or IT department - it is not ver hard.

If NCL sends an e-mail marketing to you specifically a lower fare than you have already paid them then they are obligated (logically if not legally) to offer you something in return for a) wasting your time b) dashing your hopes... whether it be the difference in fare or some kind of perk/upgrade. Just my opinion.

You gave me a good laugh. of course they don't want to not send them to everyone. Maybe someone already booked will forward it. It doesn't say your fare will be lower...the ones on my booked cruises aren't. It says its a one day sale... YOU signed up to receive these. Boy I would like to get paid for every email advertising something I wasn't eligible for for some reason!

Lots of people have multiple cruises booked at the same time. Are you saying they would not want to receive notice of a sale just because they already have one booked? There is ALWAYS the next cruise, if we are fortunate. :D

Since what you're asking probably won't happen, just ad them to your spam filter. And take them back out after your cruise (if you want to see their advertisment then)

Had 3 cabins booked for August POA - was able to move one category H (lowest oceanview) up to a balcony for the same price and was able to move two Hs to EEs and get refunds of over $200/cabin. Had only booked a month ago, so I was really happy with this outcome!

Did you all notice how Hawaii has been a big loser for NCL on Cruise Inc. tonight? They've already removed two ships from the Hawaii fleet. I hope they don't do the same with PoA! That would be really sad. :( We so much want to do this in 2011 on our 40th anniversary.

DT

Archived