What is going on with RCCL Customer Service.

I too have had bad experiences getting a response via e-mail. It seems to me that most companies prefer having their customers contact them via e-mail, so I don't understand why RCCL doesn't work this way. A couple of weeks before one cruise, I e-mailed them with some questions which weren't answered until after I got back! Another time, I e-mailed to let them know that I had had no luck getting ANY spa appointment and wanted them to know that they should expand their services on the 5-day Enchantment Western Carib. Weeks later I got a response that was totally lame; they just stated that their spas were run by Steiner. That's it. Apparently they don't care what Steiner does on their ships, is the message I was getting. Very lame.

My experience is that most companies do not prefer to be contacted by email. Online presence is considered by most companies to be a necessary evil. There are some stand-outs, though, and it sounds like you mostly do business with them.

I have to say, I think it all depends on who you get on the other line. I called and booked my cruise from RCI directly and the CS Rep, Vanessa, was all sugar and spice UNTIL after my deposit went through. Then whenever I called I got, I'm on the phone, I'll call you back. (She shouldn't answer her other line if she is with a customer). I left a message and never recieved a return call (If it is your scheduled time off change your out of office message or have someone covering).

Finally frustrated I called the number and waited for the first rep to answer, Ygor(sp). I explained I needed to make changes and my first rep was never available. I promptly stated he would help me. After assisting me I asked if they worked on commision and when he said yes, I asked if he would cancell my reservation with her and rebook it. He politley said I did not have to but he would be happy to help me with any other matters on this reservation or future reservations.

I am glad others feel the same way. I am still sailing with RC in March. I will sail in October but still don't know which cruise line. I just feel bad that this is happening. I wish that RC would go back a few years and treat us as if we are of some value to them. It is really a shame. Wonder if the company gets any written complaints about this. Usually people just take their business elsewhere without letting the company know about problems. Do you think this is happening? Hmmm

It is interesting to see that it is just not me that is being treated this way. When I initially posted this, I was nervous that I would be the only one that noticed this, and no one would reply.

I am hoping others have complained as well about the poor service in Reservations, Customer service, and in the air department, because maybe then somthing will be done!

I haven't booked directly with RCCL even once, and don't see that happening other than to get the 'special deal' for Platinum/Diamond members on the new Freedom of the Seas in February.

I have called in the past with simple questions and didn't receive very good service. For one concern, a letter was mailed (requesting return receipt) to both Jack Williams and Richard Fain. While my calls and emails went without response, my letter received a prompt reply and follow-up phone call.

I had a problem with a price quote a few months ago, I e-mailed Mr. Fains office and Margaret called me a day later and resolved my problem. I coudnt have asked for better customer service.

We sailed in September with the hurricane situation and my husband would call Customer Service and would get an answer to a question that I knew wasnt right and I would say call again and he would get a different response. It was a little irritating but I just chalked it up to a difficult situation.

When I called RCCL and spoke to a CSR, I was greeted with some

sort of respect. Remember, I called them, asked about some information

about booking a cruise. That was half of the work. It isn't like they

called me and wanted me to book a cruise or give me the great bargains

that RCCL has to offer like a telemarketer would. Seems like it was

all ok, fine and dandy. IF I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ANY PART OF

THE BOOKING, I AM GOING TO CALL THAT PERSON BACK. There shouldn't be any reason why I should have to call someone else

on a different level of seniority or department to discuss my concerns

about the cruise I booked. Why should I have to repeat anything to this person when the ORIGINAL PERSON I BOOKED WITH

ALREADY KNOWS THE SENARIO. As a matter of fact we spoke

to a supervisor and turns out, he couldn't answer most of the questions

about our booking.

Although we will cruise on RCCL again, something needs to be done

about the way RCCL handles their personel and their communication

ethics.

:(

My experience is that most companies do not prefer to be contacted by email. Online presence is considered by most companies to be a necessary evil. There are some stand-outs, though, and it sounds like you mostly do business with them.

My experience is actually much different. I find more and more companies encouraging the use of their websites and e-mail for support. How many times have you bought something and the manual says go to http://www.website.com for more info? Another one I find popular is to be on hold for telephone support while the recoding keeps going off saying "did you know the answers to many questions can be found at www.website.com?"

I do think several years ago it may have been a necessary evil, but now that they see this is here to stay and are seeing some of the capabilities it has and benefits companies can get from it (if used correctly) they embrace it more.

Personally I think companies that strive for good service will recognize e-mail responses in similar priority as phone calls. It is a direct reflection on how you view the company. Ever been on hold for 30 minutes with someone? How about endless automated phone systems and no live people? You don't forget those experiences. Likewise, if you run in to a rareity like a live person answering the phones, you remember those too. One that stands out to me is my Diners Club charge card. every time I have ever called them I have gotten a live person in the first couple of rings.

There is a big difference between referring to an online help manual and actually engaging in customer service electronically. Furthermore, there is no question that high-tech companies do prefer electronic communications. However, they represent only a small portion of the companies out there. More and more, even high-tech companies are trying to move away from online customer service, because of how uncontrolled the input is, and how difficult it is to achieve customer delight in that medium. Many have noted online customer service as a major source of customer dissatisfaction. "I want to talk to a real person, instead of getting irrelevant, canned responses to my emails."

More and more, even high-tech companies are trying to move away from online customer service, because of how uncontrolled the input is, and how difficult it is to achieve customer delight in that medium. Many have noted online customer service as a major source of customer dissatisfaction. "I want to talk to a real person, instead of getting irrelevant, canned responses to my emails."

It would seen, now, that RCI has a bit of a problem with both online and "real person" communications. RCI on-shore services and "customer delight" do not seem to always go hand and hand. And I am not sure if anyone can top them when it comes to "canned" e-mail responses.

I have booked all my 15+ cruises tru a TA that does only cruises.

They are in Seattle and I never had any trouble.

She always finds the best price. Allways there for questions.

And I allways get GREAT customer service.

There is something to be said about booking tru a TA then going tru the cruise line. The TA wants you back because they work on commision and they will go the extra mile to make sure you are being taken care of.

Well all I can say is that I have booked about 10 rooms for a 8/13 cruise and 2 rooms for a 3/6 cruise, have made many changes and I ask way too many questions and the fellow I am working with at RCCL is great. Guess it's like anything.... luck of the draw.

Mark

It would seen, now, that RCI has a bit of a problem with both online and "real person" communications. RCI on-shore services and "customer delight" do not seem to always go hand and hand. And I am not sure if anyone can top them when it comes to "canned" e-mail responses.
I couldn't agree more! Of course, there's amazon.com, who has always replied to my email questions within 24 hours and has provided nothing but exceptional service. For one of the highest volume e-tailers in the world, that's an amazing feat! They average 450,000 hits to their website hourly...wonder what would happen to RCCL if they experienced that kind of growth/volume? :eek:

We'd have to book cabins TWO years in advance, instead of one!

Hello Bicker,

We just completed our first cruise on Majesty (11/15 - 11/19) and loved it. We are suffering from PCD and are going to book 11/06 cruise to Mexico. I am setting up a group of cruisers from work also to take another cruise after that to Mexico also. I want to book a cruise out of Miami with one of the stops being Jamaica on 11/06 but the brochures only go up to 4/06. How can I book a cruise that far out? HELP... Remember, I am suffering. :D

Archived