Cruising solo on the transatlantics?

robynindc

Hi there -

Like the other transatlantic poster, I've never been on Sea Dream and am considering a transatlantic in May -- without my husband! Just some time for me away from the blackberry. Will it be strange for me to be traveling alone, or are there often other singletons? Also, what's the weather like on a spring transatlantic?

Thanks for any info!

Robyn

I only do the fall crossings - hate losing an hour every other day, but I've done 3 solo and there have always been several people going solo. I know one of of our merry band from fall of 07 and 08 is doing SD II this spring (solo). With no pressure to make ports, the Captain can usually skirt around most storms. Captain T just reiterated on SD II week before last how so smooth the spring of 07 crossing was. Of the 3 fall crossings I've been on, none of the seas have been as rough as the Caribbean a couple of weeks ago, that's why I've signed up for my 4th.

FT

Thanks for your reply! I am nearly convinced of going this spring - hadn't thought about losing an hour, but I think I can get myself to adjust. One other question -- is there any way to communicate with home from the ship? I have a blackberry (which I'm actually trying to use this cruise to escape from) but i'm sure there's no signal in the middle of the ocean! While that's fine for work, I definitely want to make sure I can keep in touch with my husband. Thanks for any info!

Robyn

You can bring your laptop and connect it to the internet for $35/day. If you don't want to carry your laptop, you can borrow one from the ship for the same charge. The connection speed is decent but not like cable or dsl but it's certainly a good way to stay in touch with family and/or work from the middle of the Atlantic.

You can bring your laptop and connect it to the internet for $35/day. If you don't want to carry your laptop, you can borrow one from the ship for the same charge. The connection speed is decent but not like cable or dsl but it's certainly a good way to stay in touch with family and/or work from the middle of the Atlantic.

or you can get an internet card and use the computers in the library, I did that the first two crossings since I only needed to e-mail family. I don't remember the cost -- something like $70 for half an hour of time or so. Usually what I did was type my e-mail in word, then cut and paste in the e-mail since the library computer was slow -- but if ever hung up or froze, the concierge was really good about adding time. And one of the best things about being in the middle of the Atlantic, while the office can find you (via the ship's e-mail or satellite phone) - it takes a lot of work and with no crackberry access, its definitely a good way to turn off the office. I definitely recommend it.

Go, you will enjoy. :)

FT

FT, thanks for the reminder of the computers in the Library. Don't know why I didn't remember them. In fact, I just used one on Sunday morning to print out boarding passes.

However, as I recall the cost for accessing the internet via those computers is $20 for 70 minutes.

Archived