New to HAL

rhinog

Hello Everyone

We've booked to go on a Baltic Cruise from Copenhagen on June 12th on the Rotterdam. I've been "lurking" around the boards for a while. I've found the postings very helpful and picked up a lot of useful tips. Am I right in thinking that that the passengers will be mostly American? We are from the UK. We have cruised a few times before but never on HAL. We are really looking forward to it.

We've toured a lot of the Western States and I thought I was getting a hang of most of the language differences. But I've got to know. What's a "Yum Yum man" and should I be worried :)

Regards

Phil

Yes, most pax will be North American (including Canadians.) The Rotterdam is my favorite Holland America ship overall. She's lovely, with understated elegance, and is just the right size. I think you'll really enjoy cruising the Baltic on her.

Thanks for the replies. I did perhaps think that Pipedreams would find an image for that. Not sure about sweets after dinner though. I usually have to be wheeled out of the dining room! Hope the foods going to be good it certainly looks interesting.

Here's another thread, with some pictures. Photo posted by Jim in #5 (click on it, to enlarge) and by Copper in #14. That later phto shows the tray of sweets.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=704289

As for the nickname, most of the staff who fill this position seem to greet departing diners, asking "Yum yum?" NOt sure if that, or the nickname came first. I understand the position is officially titled "doorman".

rhinog, you will love your Baltic cruise on the Rotterdam. One of the most memorable times for us was the early-evening transit of the Baltic Sea towards Estonia. We enjoyed the Crow's Nest-view of many other ships, of all types, headed in the same direction as the light faded.

Mrs Muir

Archived