Insurance, yes or no?

MikeNBec

Do you buy cruise insurance when you cruise?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy cruise insurance when you cruise?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on the length/price of the cruise

Well when we checked prices we looked at 2 cruise agencies-cruise.com and anchors away. Cruise.com used Travelguard-Anchors away used I Travel Insured. Travelguard was a little more expensive but cruise.com charges a little less for the cruise itself so the two agencies were within like $10 a person for cost of the cruise with insurance.

We went with Anchors Away because I Travel Insured does cover pre-existing conditions as long as you are under 70 years old. Travelguard does not cover pre-existing conditions.

I Ttravel Insured only covers up to $20,000 for evacuation. Travelguard covers up to $30,000 but I figured if it ever happened to me it would have to do with my diabetes so I felt safer with the I travel Insured. So yep we might still have to fork out some dollars if that happened but at least not the whole price.

Anyway I had both agencies send me information on the travel insurance so I could make the best choice for me. I guess all the travel insurance companies differ on things so it is best to find out about what they do and do not cover before making your choice.

• 5 weeks later...
YES! God, yes!

My husband and I were booked on a transatlantic cruise (Golden Princess September 2003). The cruise originated in London and sailed to a port in Florida. So we flew all the way to London, checked into our lovely hotel, went to dinner and came back to our room to half a dozen frantic messages from our live-in babysitter and my mother telling us that our 11-year-old daughter was in emergency surgery because she had jumped off of our trampoline and broke her arm in eight places. We were only 12 hours away from boarding that cruise ship. Needless to say, we flew home early the next morning.

We were wise enough to have insured that trip through Princess Care.

Always insure your cruise vacations, or any other pricey vacation for that matter.

PS - The trampoline is long gone. (Took a second surgery to correct the nerve damage, but the scar is big and fat on my slender daughter (boo-hoo)).
PSS - Still haven't made up that transatlantic crossing.

Initially we weren't planning on buying insurance. But after reading all of these posts, we changed our minds in a hurry! We didn't take the insurance offered by Carnival or the airline and went to site suggessted: [url="http://www.insuremytrip.com"]www.insuremytrip.com[/url]

What a nice site! We were able to compare offerings and went with the Travelex Lite policy. My wife liked the baggage and baggage delay items. Plus, we now have coverage for the entire trip. Our policy came to $87 for my wife and I compared to $129 per person just for the Carnival insurance.

I just don't buy the logic that some posters have made about not needing the insurance. Perhaps they have the funds to cover the expenses one might incur, should they arise. But I would imagine most people are in the same boat (pardon the pun) and would rather spend a few extra dollars for some extra peace of mind.

As we get older, the "what if's" seem to become more of a reality.

Archived