Member information on Naples excursions

tejmar

My wife and I are trying to choose between two excursions in Naples. They are:

Taste of Sorrento and Pompeii and Almalfi Coast and Pompeii.

We would really like to travel around the entire peninsula to see the views. Do either of these two travel the entire peninsula and if not which would come closest to what we want?

We would really like to travel around the entire peninsula to see the views. Do either of these two travel the entire peninsula and if not which would come closest to what we want?

My DW and I took the exclusive tour that went to Pompei, Sorrento and Positano along Almaphi coast. Positano was awesome and you can't get there with reg. large buses. Well worth it. To me, Sorrento was not great. Pompeii and the Almalfi coast were amazing. Watch for pickpockets in Pompeii - a women in our group had her wallet taken out of her napsack.

Hubby and I did the Amalfi coast and Pompeii in 2005. It was not our thing although we really enjoyed Pompeii. The bus ride takes you all the way around the penninsula but it is a long bus ride. We had a problem with traffic and were stuck for over an hour. Listening to the Italians yell and make gestures at each other became entertaining. Personally, I thought the coastline looked exactly like California and Oregon plus after the 3rd village, they all look alike. Our lunch stop was good, but because of the delays, we didn't make it until after 2 PM. Initially we were told that Pompeii would be canceled because of the traffic delays but we had an angry group outpouring on the bus. The guide called RC and got permission to bring us back later than scheduled. We made our Pompeii stop but it was shortened.

Have you posted on the Naples port-of-call board? Hopefully, someone there will have the answer.

Since we will be on RCCL excursions I thought it would be better to post here.

Thanks you all for your replies. It looks like the Amalfi Coast excursion is what we are looking for.

DH & I took the Taste of Sorrento & Pompeii excursion and I'm not sure I would recommend it for the views. A good proportion of the morning is spent in a farm which although is lovely is a fair way off the beaten track.

You have an hour or so in Sorrento (where I would have quite happily spent the time in the ice cream parlour - nothing quite like Italian ice cream :D) then on to Pompeii.

I also feel I should point out that they insisted we visit a marquetry shop (in order to park the coach in their carpark) and a Cameo factory, both of which delivered a hard sell :( not enough to ruin the day but it took up a good hour of the excursion

Hope this helps

Thanks again, it would seem that the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii excursion is more of what we are looking for although both take you to the Cameo Factory.

That's one of the things I am trying to get through to my family. When you use the ship tours, they are crowded and often take you to places like the Cameo Factory to generate income. I wanted to book some private excursions in which we would have more control over the tour, but I haven't been successful.

Archived