OT Question for Spleen or SueBee

808lady

I am perplexed. I go to church in Kailua, and come back to the Leeward side on H-3. I often meet friends for lunch at Dixie Grill by Pearl Ridge. I cannot figure out the best way to get there. I have tried coming on to H-1, taking the Waimalu exit and then turning on the back street (forget the name) that empties out into to Dixie Grill's back parking lot, but that seems like a long way. Shorter but awkward is to take the Honolulu exit and get on the Moanalua and go up to Red Hill and turn around. Is there a better way? I have also tried a way that sent me through the stadium parking lot, but I am sure that is not the best route! Any help appreciated.

Hmmm ... not going to be easy.

The easiest route will be to come back across to the town side by using Likelike Hwy instead of taking H3. That'll land you back on Moanalua Freeway and then you can get off at the Pearlridge exit to get to Dixie Grill pretty easily.

The somewhat more direct route will be getting off the Halawa exit off of H3. This should land you on Ulune St - you'll take a left onto it and then take another left onto Kahuapaani St (the overpass over the highway) heading toward the stadium. Take a right onto Salt Lake Blvd and follow it until it runs into Kamehameha Hwy and then take a right. Follow this until Dixie Grill is on the right.

Personally, I'd just avoid H3 and do the Likelike technique. If you're coming from Kailua and not Kaneohe, it may be even easier to take the Pali instead and then go to Moanalua Freeway, then off at Pearlridge to Dixie Grill.

Let me know if this is too confusing.

Spleen

Rereading my directions, I'm struck again on how different directions are in Hawaii than they are on the mainland. If we were on the mainland, these instructions would be filled with phrases like "take I5 up to Hwy 4, go east about 10 miles, get onto Hwy 99N, and then take exit 29". LOL!

Spleen

Yesterday I was listening to the radio and there was an accident south of Kona at mile marker 111 (or something like that). The radio guys were laughing because they had no clue where that mile marker was and wanted a landmark of some kind.

Also, that reminds me of the time I called 911 regarding a car accident and didn't know what the number was of the highway I was on (the upper road between Kona and Waimea) for the 911 operator. She finally figured it out...but we don't know those technical names around here!! To be honest, I've been driving that highway every day for over 2 years now and I still can't tell you what its number is. *smile*

BTW: If I tell anyone where I live, it's about the 8th house up the hill just past the big mango tree on the left.

Emi

Archived