suggestions for older parents

lisa.coughlin

I will be on the Explorer on 6-20 and have never been to Bermuda. I am travelling with my family and parents who are 75 and have some mobility issues.

We are planning on taking a taxi to Horseshoe the first day but there will be 8 of us so I am assuming we need 2 cabs. I was going to take the ferry to Hamilton the next day and walk around the town. Any suggestions of what to do there to see some sights and maybe do a little shopping? I will also have my 21 and 17 year old with me so I don't want to bore them for too long.

Thanks for any suggestions? ALso, any idea of how warm it may be?

I will be on the Explorer on 6-20 and have never been to Bermuda. I am travelling with my family and parents who are 75 and have some mobility issues.

We are planning on taking a taxi to Horseshoe the first day but there will be 8 of us so I am assuming we need 2 cabs. I was going to take the ferry to Hamilton the next day and walk around the town. Any suggestions of what to do there to see some sights and maybe do a little shopping? I will also have my 21 and 17 year old with me so I don't want to bore them for too long.

My husband and two children (then 17 and 20) went on NCL two years ago and loved it. Bermuda is extremely safe - even at night time. Bus service is fantastic. If you are on the cruise that stops there for 4 days - you are going to love it! Say goodbye to your kids! Tell them to make friends immediately when boarding and not to wait because this is a piece of advice that will serve them well forever. If you make friends near the end of a cruise they are missing out on precious moments they can spend making great relationships. They will say to the newly made friends: I wish I met you sooner. Tell them to make friends with the cruise ship members because they will be in good hands when they leave the boat. And they will want to go out in St-George's at night because there are a few clubs there.

Now if you are docked in St-George's - the beach is walking distance. It takes about 12 minutes to walk. It's a hot walk. But do-able.You can take a cab. It is absolutely breathtaking as you walk down a hill and view the watering holes!! No waves - great for the elderly. Beautiful sand.

Horshoe Bay - has waves and by the afternoon they get pretty rough. But stillllllll gorgeousssss! You can easily take a bus there. It depends where you are docked - because a cab can cost a pretty penny. The beauty is that there are no hidden costs at the beach . You are not obliged to pay to sit on a beach. You don't have to buy any food or drink. You are really on your own. It's JUST BEAUTIFUL. I love Bermuda. We rented 2 Vespas and toured the island with our two kids. We let them drive and we sat on the back of them. Something to note: it does rain quite a bit in Bermuda but it clears up fast too. You might get caught in a couple - I hope not cause it can be scary. If you want more information don't hesitate to contact me.

Temperature should be 80 to low 80's.

Don't know what you might be interested in but a carriage ride in Hamilton may be nice to give you an overview since your parents have some mobility issues.

There are some nice historical things in Hamiilton but they require walking and from the ferry terminal, there will be some uphill areas. Par-La-Ville Park is a very pretty place to walk around...there are some benches along the way. The Perot Post office is interesting and the Historical Society Museum are all close to the park and an easy walk from the ferry.

If you take the carriage ride, you may see somethings that you want to explore a bit more afterwards.

Now if you are docked in St-George's - the beach is walking distance. It takes about 12 minutes to walk. It's a hot walk. But do-able.You can take a cab. It is absolutely breathtaking as you walk down a hill and view the watering holes!! No waves - great for the elderly. Beautiful sand....

What is the name of this beach?

You can also hire a taxi for the the day, or several hours, to take your parents on a tour of the island. My DH had to work one day on our trip to Bermuda and it was raining; so, I took this option. I am not usually a "taxi tour" person, but I really enjoyed this for 4 hours in Bermuda. Even though I had been to Bermuda before, I learned and saw lots of new things. It cost about $60.

I am not usually a "taxi tour" person, but I really enjoyed this for 4 hours in Bermuda. Even though I had been to Bermuda before, I learned and saw lots of new things. It cost about $60.

Just as a "heads up" if the OP would decide on a taxi tour. The rates are anywhere from $36-$50 an hour depending on the number of people.;)

Just as a "heads up" if the OP would decide on a taxi tour. The rates are anywhere from $36-$50 an hour depending on the number of people.;)

I only paid $60 for the 4 hours, but I was in the taxi by myself. I pre-arranged the tour on-line.

Archived