Will an American feel welcome on the QM2

nitnyleo

Of course they wear boots! And having trudged through a few cow pastures in and around Fort Hood, I can understand why :eek:.

Fort Hood being about the biggest military base in the world, I'll bet you were wearing boots as well. Featuring all four breeds of poisonous snakes, scorpions, centipedes and various other fauna and flora that can hurt you, the cows were the least of your worries!!:)

If I went barefoot where I live for more than a few weeks in the summer, I'd have severe frostbite . . .

Aside from your own lawn, going barefoot in Texas is not a good idea.

Who needs the mint? The bourbon is just fine.

I don't need the sugar they put in a julep, so make mine a Tequila Shooter.

I had to Google Mint Imperials of course.

Of course they wear boots! And having trudged through a few cow pastures in and around Fort Hood, I can understand why :eek:.

If I went barefoot where I live for more than a few weeks in the summer, I'd have severe frostbite . . ..

I thought you lived in Connecticut???

I do. This spring, except for the few days of heat we had, I'd probably get mildew on my toes.

Not to mention Lyme disease . . .

Yes, I agree a little mold and possibly Lyme Disease, but not frost bite--not in the summer, anyway.:) And don't forget West Nile Virus--that's a possibility too.

Yes, I agree a little mold and possibly Lyme Disease, but not frost bite--not in the summer, anyway.:) And don't forget West Nile Virus--that's a possibility too.

So we have just as bad as Texas!! :D

So we have just as bad as Texas!! :D

Well, they beat us so far in the swine flu category, but we have an awful lot pending--we could beat them yet!!! Oh, I forgot--it's the H1N1 flu!!! And we have quite a few bear and dear and eagles--and I saw a wolf going down my street a while ago. Now, more than likely they don't see those in Texas, do they?:D

And even George W. was born here--so they can't even claim him, can they? Not that...... . . .!!!:D

Well, they beat us so far in the swine flu category, but we have an awful lot pending--we could beat them yet!!! Oh, I forgot--it's the H1N1 flu!!! And we have quite a few bear and dear and eagles--and I saw a wolf going down my street a while ago. Now, more than likely they don't see those in Texas, do they?:D

And even George W. was born here--so they can't even claim him, can they? Not that...... . . .!!!:D

Much like George who was born up your way but moved to Midland TX for his up-bringing, I was born in California, but raised in West TX..

West Nile?? Can you identify the Tiger Mosquito the one that flies by day and has stripes? We can and do more mosquito control than about any state. I work at a major medical University that just opened a BSL 4 lab that researches things much worse than West Nile.

But, we shouldn't upset our friends across the water with this media blown pandemic of swine flue that will have even Gari and Pugwash breaking out in pig snouts!!:D

A wolf would be very interesting, PM, a large coyote would be more likely unless they've relocated wolves out of Wyoming?? Yes, coyotes can get as large as a shepard.

But, we shouldn't upset our friends across the water with this media blown pandemic of swine flue that will have even Gari and Pugwash breaking out in pig snouts!!:D

Twas a day in late September

A day I well remember.

I was walking down the street with drunken pride.

When without a word to utter

I slipped into the gutter

And a pig came up and lay down by my side.

As I lay there in the gutter

Without a word to utter,

A lady passing by was heard to say.

'One can tell a man who boozes

By the company he chooses'

And the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Gari

A day I well remember.

Without a word to utter,

Gari

Autobiographical? Was this whilst you were a scrum half? Or, was this yesterday?

At least, the slowness of the pig's gait indicates a degree of affection.

Much like George who was born up your way but moved to Midland TX for his up-bringing, I was born in California, but raised in West TX..

West Nile?? Can you identify the Tiger Mosquito the one that flies by day and has stripes? We can and do more mosquito control than about any state. I work at a major medical University that just opened a BSL 4 lab that researches things much worse than West Nile.

A wolf would be very interesting, PM, a large coyote would be more likely unless they've relocated wolves out of Wyoming?? Yes, coyotes can get as large as a shepard.

But you remember where George W. went for his highter education, don't you?:)

WE don't spray for much of anything, any more. They would rather we get the West Nile Virus.

I have seen coyotes many times and they are quite a bit smaller and stragglier. This animal was nearly as large as my 60 pound poodle, a little shorter, but heavier. I am quite sure it was a wolf. And he acted wary like a wolf, quite beautiful, really.

This animal was nearly as large as my 60 pound poodle, a little shorter, but heavier. I am quite sure it was a wolf. And he acted wary like a wolf, quite beautiful, really.

After the Derby, I think I would like to place $100 on the poodle.

Having read about the pirate attack on MSC Melody, apparently it was a Welshman who was the first to throw a lounger over the side as a way to thwart the attack.

In my attempts to explain this to myself, I have come to the conclusions that:

Southern Englanders were either nodding off in the Commodore or had already gone to their cabins.

Northern Englanders were still up, but were celebrating in the Golden Lion.

The Scots had passed out hours earlier.

(And, best not bring up what the Irish were up to).

But, still, it was the Welsh who threw the first chair.

But you remember where George W. went for his highter education, don't you?:)

WE don't spray for much of anything, any more. They would rather we get the West Nile Virus.

I have seen coyotes many times and they are quite a bit smaller and stragglier. This animal was nearly as large as my 60 pound poodle, a little shorter, but heavier. I am quite sure it was a wolf. And he acted wary like a wolf, quite beautiful, really.

Coyotes can be that big, rarely, tough.

No mention of bears? We have black bears in CT, maybe 300 or so spread out over 5,000 square miles.

We learned this on our Alaska cruise:

HOW TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A BLACK BEAR AND A BROWN BEAR (hard to see colors when you are panic-stricken);

After you climb the tree, the smaller black bear will climb up after you. The larger brown bear will stand at the bottome, and shake the tree until you fall out . . . ;)

Autobiographical? Was this whilst you were a scrum half? Or, was this yesterday?

At least, the slowness of the pig's gait indicates a degree of affection.

It couldn't have lasted as he had to walk around front to kiss her!!

Loved that BTW, as I've never seen it before, although Steinbeck might have alluded to something similar in "Cannery Row".

You are correct PM, W got an MBA at Yale something for which he's never given credit. Yeah he wasn't the most articulate Texan, that honor goes to me of course, but the man wasn't stupid.

And if you say it was a wolf, it was a wolf, we've got a plenitude of 60 lb coyotes down here, Northern Timber Wolfs go about 120..

It couldn't have lasted as he had to walk around front to kiss her!!

Loved that BTW, as I've never seen it before, although Steinbeck might have alluded to something similar in "Cannery Row".

You are correct PM, W got an MBA at Yale something for which he's never given credit. Yeah he wasn't the most articulate Texan, that honor goes to me of course, but the man wasn't stupid.

And if you say it was a wolf, it was a wolf, we've got a plenitude of 60 lb coyotes down here, Northern Timber Wolfs go about 120..

Actually, the CEO Prez got his undergraduate degree at Yale in the city of his birth, went down a step and got his MBA at Haaavaard . . .

There are black bears in far West TX and plenty more in New Mexico next door, but neither black nor brown bother me, it's Ole Griz you've got to worry about and the Sasquatch of course. We did sit and watch a beautiful Cinnamon brown up in the pass North of Skagway in the Yukon on an Alaska cruise. That is the only wild bear I've ever seen in years of camping. There are none down here anymore but if you favor alligators we've got a ton of them.

Thanks Lurker for correcting me as to W's MBA, as a UTEP grad, I'm a little vague with the facts and illiterate in two languages.:)

It's been a beautiful day in SE TX, I've been out pruning Maples and a Camphor tree and then cooking some Chilaquiles. We are watching to see if anyone breaks out in pig snouts.

A day I well remember.

Without a word to utter,

Gari

To Gari,

I know you're really clever,

At whatever your endeavor,

Even when you write when you are drunk.

But I fear you went too far.

You should have left that bar,

Much sooner than you really would have thunk.

'Cause that silly little pig

Turned out to be a rig,

For when he tried to get away from you.

He staggered and he sneezed

And felt weakness in his knees,

And discovered he had a case of Swine Flu!!!

Gari

Gari, thank you so much for the trip down memory lane.

LOL - To put us to bed, this was one (no lie) of several songs my mother sang to my siblings and me when we were all wee tykes.

About two years ago (and 50 years after the fact!), we were all sitting around after Christmas dinner and trying to remember how the "pig song" went. All we could put together was the last half of the song. My parents could not remember the beginning words of the song or where they had learned it, but they thought it was a drinking song used by my Dad's college fraternity.

How it got from your side of the pond to ours (or vice versa) probably involved several pubs. Anyway, I just sent the completed song to the rest of the family.:) Wonder if the tune is the same here as it is there - can you hum a few bars?

Edit -> WooHoo, I just saw that this is #496, someone has to take it to 500!

Gari, thank you so much for the trip down memory lane.

Wonder if the tune is the same here as it is there - can you hum a few bars?

Dum di dum di dum di dumdi

Di dum di dum di dum di.

Dum diddly dumdi dum di dum di DUM

Dum diddly dum didumdi di dum di dum di dum DI

Dum diddly dum di dum di

Dum dum dum di dum di dum di dum di DUM.

There now - do you recognise it?

A tuneful Gari

Dum di dum di dum di dumdi

Di dum di dum di dum di.

Dum diddly dumdi dum di dum di DUM

Dum diddly dum didumdi di dum di dum di dum DI

Dum diddly dum di dum di

Dum dum dum di dum di dum di dum di DUM.

There now - do you recognise it?

A tuneful Gari

Yes, it's the same as the version we sing here - although it sounds slightly different when I sing with my southern accent!

Is this #500? :D Edit: Doh! almost, nitnyleo beat me to it. You snooze, you lose :P

I think the help would be joining in at this point.

Archived