Will an American feel welcome on the QM2

nitnyleo

First . . . I did sail the QM2 once across the pond, as they say. It was a last minute thing . . . I had to get over there in a hurry and I don't fly . . .

so, it was my only alternative.

But, I would like to do a longer, more leisurely sailing . . . like a full-week, with a couple stops so I can catch my breath.

However, I couldn't tell if I was being accepted, just tolerated or being made fun of behind my back. Dinner was not a problem since there was a french man (he was from France) at the table and the English couples and I had much fun with him.

However, when I roamed the ship during the day, I didn't feel like part of the "club". They would smile, but it didn't seem like they meant it. I tried to fit in...like, they had a hat contest and I showed up and they treated me like a leper.

So, I'm wondering whether there are enough Americans on board so that I don't wonder about the boat alone? Are there enough, like, to have an All-American table in the restaurant?

PS: I know that some of them are still mad about us throwing away their tea, but that was like a 100 years ago! I'm sorry . . . but I wasn't around then. Besides, y'all are now stealing our beef kidneys

I think perhaps more of it is in your mind but you also have to remember that each sailing produces a different type of crowd. Its hard to repeat the same experience twice. I've done the QM2 in the Caribbean (very American crowd), a 5 day British long weekend sailing in Europe on the QE2 (almost all British) and a transatlantic on the QE2 (I would say 50-50). OKay so I am Canadian but I never felt like I never fit in and know for a fact there are a lot of Americans who sail with Cunard. I say don't worry. Enjoy! Life is too short.

I feel that way you described on some of the threads here on CC - not Cunard - sometimes. I think you'll do fine on the QM2.

David

Firstly I forgive you for the 'tea thing', but please don't do it again! ;)

Gosh I am surprised to hear that you felt out on a limb, on our last crossing we dined with two yanks and had some great conversations about our differences & similarities. We all loved each others accents, different ways of describing things, different cultures and loved discussing them all, it was fascinating, fun and a real education. In fact I would go as far as saying it made our trip!

I know British humour & sarcastic wit can sometimes come across to others elsewhere in the world as something unpleasant, but I promise promise promise you, we laugh at ourselves as well as different UK regions & cultures in exactly the same way as we do those from abroad and its all meant in very lighthearted terms! :)

To know us is to love us!:rolleyes:

Come back soon, have a nice day, thank you & your welcome !!!

I have cruised seven times on QM2 and some of the best times have been over lunch in the Brittania Restaurant where we have told the Maitre'D we dont mind sharing and have shared tables with Americans as well as other nationalities. Our language may be common ish with minor differences, our sense of humour may be slightly different, but those differences accepted the lunch usually carries on for a couple of hours, and is most enjoyable. Brit Abroad has made some interesting points with which I agree, maybe its you:D:D but as far as I am concerned, you will be most welcome.

First . . . I did sail the QM2 once across the pond, as they say. It was a last minute thing . . . I had to get over there in a hurry and I don't fly . . .

But, I would like to do a longer, more leisurely sailing . . . like a full-week, with a couple stops so I can catch my breath.

However, I couldn't tell if I was being accepted, just tolerated or being made fun of behind my back. Dinner was not a problem since there was a french man (he was from France) at the table and the English couples and I had much fun with him.

However, when I roamed the ship during the day, I didn't feel like part of the "club". They would smile, but it didn't seem like they meant it. I tried to fit in...like, they had a hat contest and I showed up and they treated me like a leper.

So, I'm wondering whether there are enough Americans on board so that I don't wonder about the boat alone? Are there enough, like, to have an All-American table in the restaurant?

PS: I know that some of them are still mad about us throwing away their tea, but that was like a 100 years ago! I'm sorry . . . but I wasn't around then. Besides, y'all are now stealing our beef kidneys

The Qm2 is a great ocean liner and always has a wonderful mixture of nationalities. If you are not comfortable, you should not sail her. If you think you will not have a good time, you probably won't. We can assure you the overwhelming majority of Americans we have sailed with do not agree with your analysis.

the answer is yes! you will be accepted for whom you are. The French and the Brits never get along(just kidding) after all they helped us in the revolution..

Three things to look out for:

Brits are very reserved sometimes, and hide behind irony and dry humour. The thing to remember is that if they are taking the trouble to try and make you laugh, they probably quite like you.

Secondly, we are much more irreverent about public figures than you. We will assume that you think your President (although not this one quite yet) is an idiot, because it is the law in the UK that we treat the Prime Minister as one. Therefore don't be offended at apparent attacks on your politicians and way of life. We may also viciously attack your foreign policy - but we do ours, too. This is just conversation.

Thirdly, we feel that Americans are essentially children, to whom some idiot gave some dangerous toys to play with. Don't be offended - deep down, you know it's true.

The best thing is to come back in the same vein. You will be respected for this, and once the shadow-boxing is finished, you can get down to the serious business of getting pissed (drunk) and agreeing that we all hate the Germans.

Believe it or not, the above isn't that far from the truth......

Most Brits seem to love individual Americas they meet, but have enormous problems with America. Strangely, for Americans, it may almost be the opposite.

I think cultural differences are wonderful, a great source of humour, and your trip will be all the more fantastic because of it.

Oh boy... :rolleyes: here we go again...

Enter stereotype:

The English are _________

Americans are _________

French are _________

Germans are _________

blah blah blah..... and around and around and around we go! :confused:

You'll take the bate each and every time... :eek:

I suspect that "Nintyleo" is a fan or alumus of Pennsylvania State University (their mascot is the "Nittany Lions". Have no idea why that is).

On our QM2 cruise to the Carribbean a few years ago, there was a complaint that the daily trivia quiz was too American Oriented. So they chose British themes, and the first question was about Lady Godiva. DW won the contest. :eek:

Thirdly, we feel that Americans are essentially children, to whom some idiot gave some dangerous toys to play with. Don't be offended - deep down, you know it's true.

But we usually show up with our toys in time to bail your butt out of some mess you've gotten into. "It's Tommy this and Tommy that and Tommy mind your way, but it's Thank You Cousin Johnathan when the band begins to play!"

The best thing is to come back in the same vein. You will be respected for this, and once the shadow-boxing is finished, you can get down to the serious business of getting pissed (drunk) and agreeing that we all hate the Germans.

Well, I certainly can't fault those values, and Germany was not exactly the friendliest country in which I've ever traveled.

Be careful, there are Canadians who think they are French & French people who actually do live in other countries

Yeah, but they never seem real happy about it especially the Quebecois!! Our Coonies (Cajuns) are about as happy as any, but they are so far removed they have their own culture.

Carry on, flame away!!

As you can see in these replies nitnyleo, the British are a diverse group so be careful when you travel about which 'club' you would wish to join ;)

Britabroad and ovccruiser make relevant comments re understanding the sense of humour.

Pat has traits of the earth mother -a warm welcome to the table.

Grandsix- dismissive- shape up or ship out.

Somewheresoon - somewhat crude - we don't all get drunk and become xenophobic.

Take the risk and make your own mind up - I am sure you will enjoy!

So many sincere replies to my post . . . even Somewheresoon gave a mostly sweet response.

But, when I wrote it, I was pissed (in the American sense; and, in the British sense) . . . about the killing of the "dead body" thread and was looking for some entertainment.

However, I'm sure some yank might learn something from the responses.

But, I really did sail the QM2 to England and it ended too soon. Dinner was a delight; even tho I was the only American. . . and the gent who spoke French was from Belgium.

PS: However, I am still not happy about not being able to buy a beef kidney at the market. They've disappeared over here . . . if it ain't the Brits, who else would be stockpiling the darn things?!?!

I suspect that "Nintyleo" is a fan or alumus of Pennsylvania State University (their mascot is the "Nittany Lions". Have no idea why that is).

Nittany is a derivation of an old AmerIndian word for mountain lion ... nee-tah-nee. These lions roamed the area until the 1880's (about 30 years after they started the Uni. . . hmm, sounds like the lions may have been impeding the growth of human progress on a personal level).

Oh well, they live on . . . sort of . . . .

If one of you colonials tells us what form of cuisinary atrocity a "beef kidney" is we'll help you look for it, as long as it's not in the Middle East.........we fell for that one once before.....................

The problem with the boats sailing from Southampton, England, Europe is that they are 95% or more British and you can't blame foreigners for anything that goes wrong. Or, once sufficiently aneasthetised to protect from culture-shock, converse with them.

Met an East German (or eastern Germany as it now is) lady once who turned out to be the little girl in the family who escaped the East in the home-made balloon - you'll remember the film (in which it was all going wrong until Tom Cruise or some other diminutive colonial turned up, killed the Red Army with a blunt knife and saved the day, and the world, and an actress shortly but temporarily to become his wife).

I live in the middle of tourist north Scotland. In summer, all the Scots go to Spain to drink in Irish theme pubs, turn red and complain about the food. They are replaced by about 45.9 million pairs of gargantuan tartan trousers encompassing Americans, 45.899 million of whom apparently fought in the Battle of Culloden. I usually pose as a haggis farmer, and sell them photos of my dog for £5 a time.

All of which is to say that I would love to sail on boats with more mixed nationalities. As long as they weren't Welsh, obviously. It's all good fun, and rarely to be taken seriously.

And as for Xenophobia - I blame the bloody English.

A beef kidney is what it is and nothing more . . . however, an Angus beef kidney would be extra special . . .

As a child, I was introduced to kidney stew by my grandmother (from Dartmouth) . . . (apparently, my grandfather (from Plymouth) enjoyed it). I loved it! My father took her recipe and came up with an excellent steak and kidney pie. (And, there was a time when they sold tinned steak and kidney pies imported from England at the market - I'm not sure when we stopped importing them (they weren't very good) . . . perhaps, when the cows got mad?) However, the markets always had a kidney laying about . . . but, it has now been years since I've seen one for sale. The US slaughters more beef than any other country (no need to go the the Middle East) . . . it makes no sense . . . It wonders me who is doing what with them all.

And, the highlight of my short stay in Southampton was finding a "quaint" restaurant that served steak and kidney pie. (They cater to all sorts, there, don't they?)

PS: I only ever got to tourist south Scotland. But, I would certainly like to try venturing further north for some farm-fresh haggis.

Nittany is a derivation of an old AmerIndian word for mountain lion ... nee-tah-nee. These lions roamed the area until the 1880's (about 30 years after they started the Uni. . . hmm, sounds like the lions may have been impeding the growth of human progress on a personal level).

Oh well, they live on . . . sort of . . . .

Thanks for the explanation. My college mascot is the Husky (as in UCONN Huskies).

I suspect there are few if any college basketball fans among our British friends. I do have a friend in the UK who follows the NFL, however, and is a fan of the Patriots.

So to get back to the original theme of the thread, there are compatabilities if you look for them.

WHEW!!! We had some concerns about booking the Queen Victoria for the June 23rd voyage, but, after reading these delightfully witty and satirical comments, we will be "right at home"! We can mix it up with the best of 'em. I guess we'll have to bring along our own coffee. Booking, booking, booking.........

One question...Will the Duchess of Cornwall, be on board?

Archived