Cruise Inc interesting article

fpat

Thanks for the link.

The similar " Week in the Life of an Airline" focused on American Airlines.

That was a real eye opener in that some flights were profitable by $6, not per passenger....the whole dang flight. And then a weather front rolled in and put the flight into the red.

Cruise lines are nowhere near the dire straits of the U.S. domestic airlines, for one reason. The majority of employees are not U.S. citizens.

It was IMHO a good piece of journalism. It was neither a puff piece nor a "gotcha" piece of muckraking. I doff my hat to NCL for giving the journalist such free rein and access. And I for one am pleased that the on-camera NCL executives and representatives were so forthright about the fact that they are in business to make money. The central point, though, in this regard was that they make money by helping the pax have a great vacation.

There was no evidence, so far as I saw, of cutting corners or wringing the extra dollar out unfairly through manipulation.

Two ominous notes:

* The ubiquitous, all-seeing eye was reminiscent of Big Brother. Does HAL practice the same type and level of security?

* What passes for a good time on NCL is not my cup of tea. DW and I are better suited to the more sedate (dare I say, serene?) style of HAL. The shots of pax dazedly wandering on the pier or gyrating in the disco made me shudder! It looked as if there is no place on NCL for a graceful waltz or foxtrot?

Petronillus I agree with you. We thought it was a great piece and was glad to hear the honesty. I laughed when Peter wanted to know how much they made at the end and was told they broke even. My husband had a hard time swallowing that one.

Kathy

Archived