How is Windstar from a sailing point of view?

EdSails

I sold my sailboat several years ago. Since then I've done cruises on RCCL and Princess. I've missed the beauty of the sails, especially at night. So here's my question----from a sailing point of view, are the Windstar ships really going to give me the "sailing feeling"?

Also, if anyone can give me an idea of the menus on the ships I'd appreciate it. I've looked at various posts and while they say the food is good, no one seems to have posted a menu or described the food on board.

Thanks!

If you are a sailor and are looking for a sailboat, you'll probably be disappointed. If you are looking for something different than the bigger (huge in comparison) ships you have been on and are willing to entertain the novelty of the sails, you'll have a great time walking on deck at night and enjoying 'sail'. The open bridge at night is terrific for a sailor as you can sit back and talk to the captain/officer while learning and studying the equipment and nav tools. A real treat IMO. You are also close to the water, especially in your stateroom.. getting you a much more 'authentic' experience to what you might be seeking.

Windstar ships are not sailboats, more like sail yachts. You will laugh at their 'sailing' but then really enjoy the smoothness and the beauty the ships have with the sails up.

Food, I'm sure others will step in on. I would say they try really hard to be excellent dining. Unfortunately they fall a bit short in quality of goods. That being said, i think it's better than the mainstream large ships but a good amount.. It's just not near their desired competitors (silversea, seabourne, seadream). Then again, those companies are about double the price of a windstar cruise. The presentation/description of items are always top notch.. just consistently they miss the quality on certain items (fish/breads come to mind off hand. i think the fish was frozen).

I hope that gives you an idea.

Thank you, inaflash. I've done tall ships also. If I can have a "tall ship" feeling with gourmet food, I'm there!

We are sailing on Wind Spirit next weekend for the first time but have sailed previously on Star Clippers and suggest you take a look at them too.

You will get more of a feeling of the sails on the smaller Wind Star and Wind Spirit than on the larger Wind Surf.

On the Surf it is quite difficult to find a place onboard where you can get a good view of the sails. It looks more impressive if you are not onboard and are watching it.

On the smaller ships you can stand on the aft deck and watch the sails unfurl.

It is wonderful when the captain announces that he is switching off all engines and just using the sails.

As with any sailing, it depends on the weather. In certain weather conditions they will not raise the sails but only use the engines.

With regard to the 'open bridge' policy: On our last cruise the captain said on the first day that with increased security the bridge was only open to 'authorized' people. Everyone gasped in disappointment. He then said "I hereby authorize all passengers to go to the bridge for the duration of the cruise". He got a great applause for that one.

I forgot to add that I was referring to the smaller ships. The Windsurf, I agree, would probably not yield much of a sailing feeling in comparison. The smaller ships are great! Pleasant and quiet at night especially. You'll enjoy. I haven't been on the star clippers but I read that it is just not as refined/luxury... but basically the same cost or more anyway (they do have interesting itineraries though worth comparing). Personally, I think the service/food/ship/passengers deem the windstar ships worthy before the clippers. You'll be spoiled and never go back to the large ships! I haven't (except a jaunt on the QM2.. ugh)

Actually that was one of the activities on the Royal Clipper. It was a blast.

Interesting. I did that when I sailed on the Golden Hinde and still remember looking down, seeing the sails billowing below me and down in the water, some dolphins swimming alongside. It was one of those "once in a lifetime" moments. I guess I will have to do some research on the Royal Clipper too!

I have been on all 3 Windstar ships and the 3 Star Clippers ships.

Star Clippers ships : the Royal Clipper (largest), Star Clipper and Star Flyer (sister ships, smaller). If you are looking for the sailing experience, they are the ticket. They are very nice -- equal to the Windstar ships -- but different. Perhaps a bit more casual, different pax mix, plus the real sailing experience complete with lots of rocking and rolling, heeling over (hang onto that wine bottle at dinner!) and ripped sails :-)

Have fun -- whatever you decide.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been on all 3 Windstar ships and the 3 Star Clippers ships.

Star Clippers ships : the Royal Clipper (largest), Star Clipper and Star Flyer (sister ships, smaller). If you are looking for the sailing experience, they are the ticket. They are very nice -- equal to the Windstar ships -- but different. Perhaps a bit more casual, different pax mix, plus the real sailing experience complete with lots of rocking and rolling, heeling over (hang onto that wine bottle at dinner!) and ripped sails :-)

Have fun -- whatever you decide.

We sailed on the Royal Clipper for 10 days, and never felt a heeled=over time. The full day under sail (the only sea day on the cruise) the Capt. couldn't even demonstate 'tacking' after trying 3 times, for lack of enough wind. How would you like the old days, when you were totally dependant on the wind?:eek:

A most comfortable ride ( and I was hoping for a little less!)

We sailed on the Royal Clipper for 10 days, and never felt a heeled=over time. The full day under sail (the only sea day on the cruise) the Capt. couldn't even demonstate 'tacking' after trying 3 times, for lack of enough wind. How would you like the old days, when you were totally dependant on the wind?:eek:

A most comfortable ride ( and I was hoping for a little less!)

There's a reason why the ships have an "iron jib"!:D

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at the smaller ships like Wind Spirit, when cruising in the Med will they use sail in the evening and at night or use the engines as well ?

When the engines are being used will you hear them or feel vibration in some staterooms ?

When sailing in the Med, will you feel much movement underfoot or is it pretty much as smooth on a larger ship ?

Up to now we have only cruised on the larger ships but quite like the idea of sailing on a smaller ship so we are looking at possibly cruising with Windstar but just a little bit concerned about the movement of the ship and any vibrations will affect us.

I sold my sailboat several years ago. Since then I've done cruises on RCCL and Princess. I've missed the beauty of the sails, especially at night. So here's my question----from a sailing point of view, are the Windstar ships really going to give me the "sailing feeling"?

Also, if anyone can give me an idea of the menus on the ships I'd appreciate it. I've looked at various posts and while they say the food is good, no one seems to have posted a menu or described the food on board.

Thanks!

Why don't you just go on a real tall ship? Windstar is fabulous, but it's a totally different experience. If you're looking to veg and be pampered.. then Windstar is for you. But if you want to SAIL, there are plenty of tall ships you can sail on... many of them, you will become part of the voyage crew. (climbing the rigging and setting the sails).

I do both. Sometimes I just need to relax, so I cruise... other times, when I want adventure, I do a tall ship. I run a tall ship forum on GoJabber for tall ship sailing enthusiasts. Stop by if you're interested in tall ship sailing and we can help you find a ship that's right for you. We're just a group of tall ship sailing fans on the forum, we don't make any money on it.

But do try Windstar too. I love it and am looking forward to my next trip.

Why don't you just go on a real tall ship? Windstar is fabulous, but it's a totally different experience. If you're looking to veg and be pampered.. then Windstar is for you. But if you want to SAIL, there are plenty of tall ships you can sail on... many of them, you will become part of the voyage crew. (climbing the rigging and setting the sails).

I do both. Sometimes I just need to relax, so I cruise... other times, when I want adventure, I do a tall ship. I run a tall ship forum on GoJabber for tall ship sailing enthusiasts. Stop by if you're interested in tall ship sailing and we can help you find a ship that's right for you. We're just a group of tall ship sailing fans on the forum, we don't make any money on it.

But do try Windstar too. I love it and am looking forward to my next trip.

Thanks, Surfgirl. I first got into sailing after crewing on the "Golden Hinde", the copy of Sir Francis Drake's ship that circumnavigated the globe in the late 1500's. You're right----it was amazing, climbing up to the crow's nest while we were off the CA coast, looking down on the cross-emblazoned sail below me. That got me hooked, 20 years ago!

These days I do prefer sleeping in a cabin------on the "Hinde" we slept in the traditional canvas hammocks. But I will visit your website-----maybe I still have enough in me for another tall ship sail too. In the meantime, I hope that something like Windstar will satisfy my urge for a little sailing with my pampering!

• 3 weeks later...

How often do you think they use sails only on a trans atlantic crossing? Or should I rephrase it and ask -do they use the sails while crossing the ocean? Thanks, Helaine

Last December we sailed on Windstar in Costa Rica. We had the opportunity to be as active or inactive as we liked. I obtained my scuba certification during my 7 day cruise and had the opportunity to do two other fantastic dives in addition to my certification dives. There was an experienced and knowledgeable "dive couple" aboard who, in addition to running the scuba program ran water sports including windsurfing & waterskiing off the back of the boat. The service aboard Windstar is outstanding. We've sailed on Crystal, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Uniworld and Regent. Those lines' service pales by comparison to that of Windstar. Windstar's crew truly enjoys their work...and it shows. Our cruise with Windstar was such a pleasure! The cabins are very thoughtfully laid out and the amenities are some of the best. I am very critical regarding cuisine, picky and a "taster." The only line we've experienced whose cuisine could begin to compare with Windstar's was Crystal's. Windstar's chef is creative and the food was superb. The variety of food was impressive and I did not experience frozen (ugh!) fish during our cruise in Costa Rica and I DO know the difference. The only criticism I can level at Windstar is that while not using the sails, the engines can be a bit too noisy in certain areas of the lowest passengers' deck. Aside from that, I'm at a loss to find anything to criticise. Our Costa Rica cruise was a delight from beginning to end. So much so that we're cruising with the Windstar line again on The Windsurf June 7th Venice to Venice. I hope my report on that cruise will be equally upbeat! I'm sorry I can't really comment with respect to your question on the "sailing feel" except to say that you should surely enjoy Windstar more than a line that doesn't utilize sails at all. The quiet and the feeling of moving along the water with the wind was so nice!

• 2 weeks later...

Last year we were on board of the Windstar from Dubrovnik to Venice. Marvellous experience!

Now for routined sailing people you have to know that:

- sailes are controlled electronically from the bridge, which you can visit during cruising.

- sales are put out as an extra power withe the motor of the ship. It safes them some fuel, and it is nice for the passengers.

- at anchor you will see that one sail is opened. On my question about this (thinking it was only "show") there was a straight answer. At some anchor places there is sometimes strong current in the water and with the sail / wind they can correct the direction of the ship without use of the motor.

The Windstar with only 148 is a big sailing yacht.

The style and the service is something you will not forget. Staff is absolutely friendly!

ps note the Windsurf is a former ClubMed ship with 308 passengers.

I did 2 weeks on the Windstar - and I was a sailor in my youth (for fun). I didn't think it did a lot of sailing. I enjoyed my cruise a lot - for sailing, I would rent a yacht - Though, I havent sailed on Star Clippers etc. For me, being heeled over is the best part of the experience.

Archived