Traditional dining vs. Open Seating

jax430

Which type of dining do you prefer, and why?

I haven't been on a cruise in several years, but I have always enjoyed having my assigned dining time and table. I like having the same wait staff, and I like the idea of becoming friendly with our table-mates. I've also liked that I don't have to think about when/where to eat each night - it's all scheduled for me.

I saw a lot of threads about the open seating today, and it sounds like by the time I go on my cruise in August, this will be an option. I am still leaning toward traditional dining though (maybe I should actually discuss this my DH too ;)). I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same way.

Let me first say that I have never tried open seating. However, I don't think that I want to. In my opinion, I can get open seating by going to the buffet. I enjoy the whole dining room experience. To me that is just part of the overall cruise experience. Like you said, I like having the same staff throughout the entire cruise and enjoy the scheduled meal - app through dessert.

I never thought I would like open seating but just went on an RCI cruise (my first) and did their open seating. It was fantastic. I had the same wait staff each night and made my reservation for dinner the night before...it was the best of all dining worlds!

We have never tried open seating on Carnival, but we went on a Princess cruise that offered this option (traditional was also an option, but they were "sold out" 6 months pre-cruise). We HATED it. A LONG line formed outside the dining room an hour before dining, if you weren't in the line by 5 or 5:30pm you probably wouldn't get a table until 9pm or so. We missed out on the dining room experience and had to "rough it" the entire cruise in the informal dining room in order to dine at a reasonable time.

I for one would not choose this option, and hope Carnival doesn't.

We also tried open seating for the first time on Princess and LOVED it. Only had to wait about 10 minutes one formal night for a table. And we were asking for tables for two each time. The only drawback was that we had different waiters each night so never got to know them (or they us). But we gladly traded that for the convenience of being able to eat when we were hungry and when it fit in with our schedule. PLEASE continue it, Carnival!

We love the open seating. We like to eat at different times depending on what we are doing that day. We have never had a wait for a table for 2 so far on 2 Legend open seating cruises.We also did anytime dining on Princess 6 cruises. Dessi, who is in charge of open seating is wonderful. We can also avoid the waiter show this way. I think it is degrading for the waitstaff to have to perform songs and dances.

I am not in the catagory that has tried the open dining yet, but did choose it for my Sept cruise. I have only sailed NCL so far(yes, I know you all will think it is horrible since you are carnival) I did like the "freestlye" Sorry!! I am open to other cruise lines. :) We do not really want to dine with strangers...don't really want to even meet them for more than a few minutes at a time. We really aren't anti-social, just like each other and are really wanting to spend our vacation time together.:) The anytime dining gives you flexiblitly of when you want to dine. I can't imagine having to rush through something I want to do just to get to dinner on time. You will still be in the dining room. I could care less if I have the same wait staff. I don't necessarily want the same drink everynight anyway so for those who think it is great that the staff "know what you want" ...are they reading my mind?? Hopefully I haven't offended anyone but...:D

We have never tried open seating on Carnival, but we went on a Princess cruise that offered this option (traditional was also an option, but they were "sold out" 6 months pre-cruise). We HATED it. A LONG line formed outside the dining room an hour before dining, if you weren't in the line by 5 or 5:30pm you probably wouldn't get a table until 9pm or so. We missed out on the dining room experience and had to "rough it" the entire cruise in the informal dining room in order to dine at a reasonable time.

What do you mean by the informal dining room? You ate in the buffet?

Been on Princess a couple of times with another cruise booked in September.

I don't know what ship you were on but that doesn't sound close to anything we experienced.

We always book anytime dining and usually eat early around 6pm.

There certainly wasn't anybodylined up at 5pm waiting for a table.

We were seated immediately each and every time we went to dinner and the one cruise only had 1 anytime dining room available due to a large group that used the one anytime dining room.

Anyway to each their own. We loved it and will continue to book anytime whenever it's available.

Bill

Which type of dining do you prefer, and why?

I haven't been on a cruise in several years, but I have always enjoyed having my assigned dining time and table. I like having the same wait staff, and I like the idea of becoming friendly with our table-mates. I've also liked that I don't have to think about when/where to eat each night - it's all scheduled for me.

I saw a lot of threads about the open seating today, and it sounds like by the time I go on my cruise in August, this will be an option. I am still leaning toward traditional dining though (maybe I should actually discuss this my DH too ;)). I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same way.

I've done both. Open seating on NCL and assigned seating with RCCL. I found the open seating caotic and the staff certainly didn't treat you the same as if you were to have assigned seating. They don't take the time to remember your name, don't remember what you like to drink, and you can't always get the same waitstaff. I

I like structure and the security of knowing what to expect. Everyone is different. Maybe it was just the cruiseline, as I have only been on one NCL cruise. But it ruined my taste for it.

I am excited to be able to try the open dining option in the future but have a question ...for those that have tried it do they seat you with other couples like they do at breakfast and lunch or are most of the tables set up at dining for 2? I've seen it mentioned several times that couples were seated alone. If that's the case I wouldn't be as fond of it as I really enjoy meeting other people even if it's someone new every night. Do they have one dining room set up as open seating and the other traditional?

First of all...a 3 1/2 hour wait for a table? I don't think so!! Also, you are the only one who had this experience? C'mon! And the "informal" dining room...where exactly was that if not the MDR...the buffet?? Strange.:confused:

Open, open, open.......

Loved it....will never go back.....

K,

I assume you have done this on CCL? Can you request to be with the same wait staff? Can you make your reservation for the next night when you leave the dining room? Can you request your table size? Just did this on RCI and loved it!!

K,

I assume you have done this on CCL? Can you request to be with the same wait staff? Can you make your reservation for the next night when you leave the dining room? Can you request your table size? Just did this on RCI and loved it!!

Sorry we have only done this on Princess and will be doing it in May on Royal Caribbean........

Our last 2 cruises on Carnival we just ate in the buffet because we hate traditional.....

First of all...a 3 1/2 hour wait for a table? I don't think so!! Also, you are the only one who had this experience? C'mon! And the "informal" dining room...where exactly was that if not the MDR...the buffet?? Strange.:confused:

I don't believe it:D

Sorry we have only done this on Princess and will be doing it in May on Royal Caribbean........

Our last 2 cruises on Carnival we just ate in the buffet because we hate traditional.....

So you never even tried "traditional" on Carnival?? Could it really be that bad? I could be wrong but a "change-up" from the buffet at least one night would have worked for me!

You will love it on Royal as well!

It just works out great for our group.......when we are on vacation we don't like to be on any type of schedule lol! Just like a resort vacation we eat when we want to.....

Looks like eventually all mass market cruise lines will be doing this fleet wide.....yeah!!!

So you never even tried "traditional" on Carnival?? Could it really be that bad? I could be wrong but a "change-up" from the buffet at least one night would have worked for me!

I'm platinum with Carnival.......so yeah we have done the tradtional lol!

I'm platinum with Carnival.......so yeah we have done the tradtional lol!

But why do you hate it so much? Is it just the time constraints? (I've never done anything...first cruise coming for me...so serious questions here!!).

Let me first say that I have never tried open seating. However, I don't think that I want to. In my opinion, I can get open seating by going to the buffet. I enjoy the whole dining room experience. To me that is just part of the overall cruise experience. Like you said, I like having the same staff throughout the entire cruise and enjoy the scheduled meal - app through dessert.

As you stated, you obviously have never had open seating since you are comparing it to the buffet.

Archived