Cruised out of Baltimore? What Say You?

Dan Askin

For a 5 day cruise in an inside room? To each his own for sure, but I think that's exorbitant. Especially considering I'm sailing in a suite for 7 days for that $1000 price. 2 extra days, breakfast and lunch in specialty restaurants, butler, concierge etc. That's a lot of perks for an additional $200.

CG

It may be expensive for the Caribbean, but departure ports where there is little to no competition (such as New England & Baltimore) are different. Btw, I am looking at the Veedam to Bermuda (from NYC) next year and the insides start at around $1,000.00 for 7 nights (Verandahs are in the $2,000 range). I do think its a little expensive but the rate you gave was under $1,000.00. Of course the Veedam only has 1,200 pax and all staterooms on HAL ships include 24/7 room service including hot breakfast at no extra charge, fruit basket & robes and included shoe shine. I guess the large ships are cheaper.

We live in Baltimore and were introduced to cruising when Celebrity's Galaxy sailed from the old Dundalk terminal. We were sold. The next year we took the Galaxy again, but from Charleston. The following two years we took the old Zenith from Jaksonville.

We have now taken a total of ten cruises and all but the first one have been from other ports. The reason: Baltimore ships, prices and itineraries leave a lot to be desired.

Why, for example, would I take a Bermuda cruise from Baltimore, when the effective land time on that fantastic island is just over 24 hours? By going to New York, I can get a seven-day cruise for the same money with three days in Bermuda.

For us, cruising is all about itineraries and price. Baltimore has been unable to compete so far.

Because of the economic situation we are uncertain about cruising later this year (having done an 18-day8 trans-Atlantic in October and a 17-day Fort Lauderdale to Buenos Aires in February). But if we do, it's likely to be to Bermuda, either from New York or from Philadelphia, although the cheap cabins on the Majesty are small and crummy. As to NCL, we have nothing against it. Particularly on the cruise to Bermuda, Bermuda is the destination and not the ship.

I have cruised from Baltimore three times and will do so again, probably Celebrity's Mercury. I am disenchanted with RCI because of the new Crown and Anchor changes. But that is another thread!

If the costs are extra, it is worth it to me just to avoid the hassles of flying. My most recent airline experiences have been horrendous. There is no consideration for the dignity and comfort of the passengers.

Baltimore is not only my native city, but only a two-hour drive from my current residence.

The trip down the Bay, even at night, is great! I love going under the Bay Bridge while the poor folks on the bridge are driving over my head. Cooool!

• 2 months later...

I've cruised out of Baltimore twice - both times on Grandeur, w/one repositioning cruise that was supposed to go to New Orleans, but bc of Katrina it went to Miami instead. Usually RC is organized when it comes to herding people off of the ship, but there was that one time that others on this board mentioned, during which something went wrong w/the ships engine, I believe. It was horrible for people who had to fly out of MD bc of all the confusion w/flights, pick-up times, etc. While RC was offering money, we heard many people complaining that it barely covered their flight costs and hotel prices.

As far as parking's concerned, it was fine the 2nd time. The first time, we got dropped off.

While it's nice not having to fly into a dif state and pay for plane tickets, luggage, etc, I, for one, am sick of Grandeur. After my 1st cruise on carnival, the decor in Grandeur seemed very boring to me; though, I can understand how some with a more mature taste may prefer this. Actually, I haven't heard of one person who didn't prefer Grandeur's decor over Carnival's. Grandeur doesn't offer the same activities (golf, rock climbing, basketball court, H20 zone, flowrider) as some of RC's newer ships...which also makes it less intriguing to me. The only way that I would go on this ship a 3rd time would be if both my family AND my BF's family were cruising together - any destination would be fine. Otherwise, I'd rather pay the other charges to cruise out of another state. Also, while Carnival Pride is here...I'm not sure about others' experiences, but going on the 1 Carnival cruise...it definitely is a party ship. While I am 25 and love partying, I don't want to be constantly surrounded by the life of the party while I'm on vaca....at least for now ;)

Archived