Aft balcony cabin in mid-May and worried about seasickness...should we move?

AllyPV

We are on the Pearl on May 17th, RT Seattle and have a BA Aft Balcony cabin. I am very excited to have the "coveted" aft cabin but am a little worried b/c I tend to get seasick about once every cruise. I'm worried that being aft will make the motion worse.

Anyone have experience with the motion out of Seattle in mid-May? Is it something I should worry about and move cabins, or should I just enjoy the wonderful scenery and take bonine/ginger/anything else that can help?

Thanks!

Ally, Sorry can't help about motion out of Seattle, just take your Bonine to be safe.

On our cruise on HAL last summer, the absolute best place to be was on the Promenade deck aft (if we had an aft balcony it would have been better!). There was no wind in the back of the ship like there was at the front and sides, and the sun just shined down on us. So peaceful and warm to watch the scenery go by. Hope you enjoy your room!

Cheryl

Hi Ally --

I wouldn't worry too much about the motion with the aft balcony cabin. Alaska waters are some of the calmest. The most motion is generally the stretch between Seattle & Inside Passage, and that will be at night on your way up, and over many hours on the way back (so the captain will probably not be at high speeds...).

You know we love our aft cabins and on ships the size of Norwegian Pearl there should not be appreciably more motion there.

Plus .... this way you get a fabulous panoramic view, instead of the view of just one side at a time...

You and Enrique are going to love Alaska. We're going back in September... just bring your Bonine as a precaution ...

Bon Voyage!!

Carol in SC

Thanks Cheryl, that's the biggest reason I wouldn't want to give up that cabin...I've heard from everyone that the views are unbelievable!

Hi Carol!! Long time I don't hear from you! Hope you and TJ are doing well! We are very excited for Alaska, except I'm having some trouble keeping the aft cabin a surprise, I'm not good with secrets... :) BTW, your cabin on the Solstice was great ;) Thanks for the heads up! :D

Sorry but the above information is completely wrong. You have chosen the roughest sailing routing of Alaska cruises. You will have 2 open ocean sea days with this itinerary and definately the potential for rough sailing. Aft cabins have the MOST movement. Also aft is not the best choice for glacier bay, if a priority for glacier viewing, unless you have a port corner cabin.

Consulting your health care professional may be a good suggestion for you??

Hi Ally --

I wouldn't worry too much about the motion with the aft balcony cabin. Alaska waters are some of the calmest. The most motion is generally the stretch between Seattle & Inside Passage, and that will be at night on your way up, and over many hours on the way back (so the captain will probably not be at high speeds...).

Sorry, this is not accurate. I've been sailing Alaska since 1994 on at least 16 cruises. You most certainly have a lot of potential for rough sailing on these two sea days. It is a myth that Alaska is some of the "calmest".

rough seas that has got my attention:eek: I am on the Volendam cruise departing Vancouver on August 5th. Having been on many European cruises I have experienced some rough seas in The Baltic, North Sea, Bay of Biscay and the Med. I was hoping:rolleyes: that for a change I would not be lying in my cabin near to death thinking to myself what am I ding here, I could be on a beach in Spain. :D

As I am keen on photography I only hope that port days are are not spoilt by bad weather.

wonder how the weather is the later part of June 2009 when we will be traveling on the Veendam :confused:

Sorry but the above information is completely wrong. You have chosen the roughest sailing routing of Alaska cruises. You will have 2 open ocean sea days with this itinerary and definately the potential for rough sailing. Aft cabins have the MOST movement. Also aft is not the best choice for glacier bay, if a priority for glacier viewing, unless you have a port corner cabin.

Consulting your health care professional may be a good suggestion for you??

wonder how the weather is the later part of June when traveling on the Veendam.

Got a crystal ball???? :) :) :) You are best to be well prepared for a wide range. Even on a single trip, you ARE going to encounter variables, glacier viewings will require those knit hat and gloves, the next day you can be in ports in shorts and t shirts. :)

We are on the Pearl on May 17th, RT Seattle and have a BA Aft Balcony cabin. I am very excited to have the "coveted" aft cabin but am a little worried b/c I tend to get seasick about once every cruise. I'm worried that being aft will make the motion worse.

Anyone have experience with the motion out of Seattle in mid-May? Is it something I should worry about and move cabins, or should I just enjoy the wonderful scenery and take bonine/ginger/anything else that can help?

Thanks!

I think you have it right...enjoy the scenery and don't worry about movement. I am addicted to aft balcony cabins and am taking my third cruise in one to Alaska (my first time there) in May. The views can't be beat and I've felt only gentle swayinig back there...more like rocking a baby (that would be me ;) ) to sleep. Since you tend to get sea sick, come prepared in case you hit rough seas. The motion is not worse at the aft but you will feel more movement than in a lower deck midship cabin. You'll be very glad you booked this cabin. They're "coveted" for a very good reason. Enjoy!

Diane

Archived