Huatulco mountain bike excursion??

tskaar

Greetings fellow cruisers,

Have any of you taken the mountain bike excursion through Princess in Huatulco, Mexico?

I'm considering this tour and would love some feedback.

Thanks so much,

Tracey

• 2 weeks later...

My husband I took a similar tour (same place) with CCL about 5 years ago. It was a very small group, just us and a single woman with 2 pre-teens. It started with a van ride out to an old church, where we met up with 2 locals with an old rusty pickup full of cheap, old rusty heavy mountain bikes. It toook me 3 times to find a decent size that actually had inflated tires. We commenced an interesting ride through rural Mexico on dirt roads through several villages. It was like a movie--there were children and chickens scooting across the yards and dogs sleeping in the middle of the road. We just followed our guide, who was from Cancun and was a travel & tourism student. He would stop here and there to point out local interests. The strangest thing was that the kid had a machete strapped to his leg. At one point we all got off the bikes and followed him into a brushy area. He pulls his machete out and the first thing I thought was "we're dead!" Turns out he was showing us the yucca plants, a very important crop to the area. Whew. Truth be told if we were in trouble, we had no cell service and no idea where we were! I also found it irritating that the entire time we were biking, the 2 guys in the pickup were driving right behind us, too close for my comfort. (They drove around the sleeping dogs!) We passed by a ceynote and ended up at an old estate, where we could explore on our own and use the pool. After that, we took a van back to the market. On the way, we stopped at what seemed to be a local's house. The driver ran in and came out with a bag of corn tortillas to try. The trip surely gave us something to write home about and laugh about later, but I wouldn't do it again.

Archived