St. Maarten - Shopping/Beach ?

maryr65

In looking at the excursions, my DH and I are thinking we'd take a cab to Marigot for shopping and then cab to the beach instead. Can anyone give me an idea how much a cab to Marigot and/or to Orient Beach would cost from the dock? I assume cabs are available at the beach since there are some resorts in that vicinity. I'm also thinking that there is better shopping on the French side than the Dutch side based on what I've seen posted. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A full cab to orient beach is $5. In the AM leaving the port area this will not be a problem. When we returned, however, we didn't have a full cab and were charges $6pp. (There is a sliding scale clearly posted at the port taxi stand).

Marigot is a bit farther. so probably is more $$. The best shopping in St. martaan, however, is in Phillipsburg. We've been to St. Martaan on cruises 3 times. On our 2nd visit we did a tour that included 2 hours in Marigot. We didn't like the shopping options there and ended up spending most of our time in a litle bar/restaurant overlooking the water.

- PAGA

Just returned from a cruise to the Eastern caribbean and decided to go to the beach at st. Maarten. we went to Divi Beach , had a bar-b-q, and swam all day. They supply the chairs and you can rent umbrellas. we spent the whole day there for 40.00 each. we decided to do the shopping in St. Thomas. if I can answer any other questions, let me know. I never went in December before, most in April. This was my first November vacation. It was good. It was between 80 - 90 ~.

Crusin 04

Ann25

Orient Beach is wonderful--part of it is "clothing optional." Beautiful sand, aqua water--a perfect beach.

Shopping is great on the Dutch side--jewelry, booze and perfume. Like St. Thomas.

We always go to the beach and come back in time to shop before we have to board the ship. My hubby gets so turned on at Orient Beach, he'll buy me almost anything I want in the jewelry department.

We were just in St. Marten a week ago today and did the exact same thing you're thinking of doing. A few things to know:

1. When you get off the cruise ship, there are lots of cabs (vans) that will take you wherever you want to go. However, they won't leave until the van is full (about 12 people), so we ended up sitting around for over 1/2 hour before there were enough people going to Marigot. Then it was another 1/2 hour to get there. If you get the chance, grab a small taxi, not the van. Marigot is not the most popular destination and we were very frustrated by the time we left the terminal.

2. Marigot wasn't very nice near the taxi stand (which is where they drop you off). We didn't find out until afterwards that the marina area is where you want to go, so we didn't have a good time in Marigot at all. There wasn't any decent shopping. Maybe it's nicer at the marina.

3. Orient Beach was great. We grabbed a couple of chairs, umbrella and a bucket of beers. Much nicer than Marigot.

Our daughter (12) had quite the anatomy lesson, though. I think we saw more naked men than women. There's alot of flaunting going on.

The cost for the cabs:

From terminal to Marigot - $5.00 each

From Marigot to Orient - I think it was $5.00 also.

From Orient to terminal - $6.00 each.

Hope this helps.

Archived