What is the best way to reward and punish employees via tipping?

SirDomino

LOL.. It's really too bad employees can't "punish" jerks with a god complex.

Wouldn't it be possible to convey your message without the nastiness and condescension? IMHO saying nothing is agreeing with your nasty message, which I do not.

Dictionary.com defines gratuity as:

1.a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip.2.something given without claim or demand.

tip as:

a small present of money given directly to someone for performing a service or menial task; gratuity: He gave the waiter a dollar as a tip.

No service = no tip.

Adequate service = adequate tip.

Great service = great tip.

HOWEVER, one time the maitre d NEVER came to our table (six or eight at table, can't remember). In lieu of the fact that he never stopped by to chit chat, ask what we did in port, make a recommendation for the next port, ask how our meal was, etc., we didn't tip him on the last night when he, of course, made it to our table.

Were we wrong?

This is a great question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_Steve

I've seen numerous times, not just in this thread, where a poster states if the Service charge is left in place, workers get to keep extra cash tips. I've also seen statements that state if a service charge is adjusted, any worker getting a cash tip has to kick it into the pooled tip/service charge money.

That's rather intimate knowledge of how these workers get paid. I'm wondering how that information was found out?

I spoke directly with our cabin steward one night, when she invited us to join her at Spinnakers Lounge. She was there as a reward, and spent an hour or so with us watching the show, and even shared one dance with her. She confirmed how important it is to leave comments, and how much they appreciate the extra tips they get to keep.

Tom -- You have the same info I have received in my many trips on NCL. The comment cards (positive) are very important to the crew, because they do in fact receive extra time off if they get positive comments. This is done by department, and normally involves those associated directly with the guests. Some departments not directly involved with the guests reward crew members time off based on the supervisors observations because of their lack of contact with the public.

I do not believe NCL is stringent in tracking cash tips to the crew. We reward the crew members in various ways, and even they don't know they are getting cash until we tell them how to find it. It is fun, and they love it.

We gave stuff to the cooks one night, and the next day, we heard many comments about us being the talk of the ship because nobody had done that before.

Don't sweat the details. Have fun with the crew and give them a chance to like you !!!

MIMISANDY: We haven't cruised on NCL so this is just a general cruise response. We like to give our tips in CASH on the last night. We like to give extra to those that have been fun, extra attentive, helpful, whatever. We have never shorted anyone the recommended tip. We have always felt like they work very hard for their tips and commend them for this.

HOWEVER, one time the maitre d NEVER came to our table (six or eight at table, can't remember). In lieu of the fact that he never stopped by to chit chat, ask what we did in port, make a recommendation for the next port, ask how our meal was, etc., we didn't tip him on the last night when he, of course, made it to our table.

Were we wrong?

LOL.. It's really too bad employees can't "punish" jerks with a god complex.

The poor woman, it seems to me asked a reasonable question and got an answer that was quite condescending in a personal way... I jut thought I'd speak up on her behalf because I'd want somebody to do the same for me. That's all.

MIMISANDY: We haven't cruised on NCL so this is just a general cruise response. We like to give our tips in CASH on the last night. We like to give extra to those that have been fun, extra attentive, helpful, whatever. We have never shorted anyone the recommended tip. We have always felt like they work very hard for their tips and commend them for this.

Were we wrong?

The poor woman, it seems to me asked a reasonable question and got an answer that was quite condescending in a personal way... I jut thought I'd speak up on her behalf because I'd want somebody to do the same for me. That's all.

I hadn't even read mimisandy's question when I posted. I was responding to the thread question.

Let's just chock this one up to a misunderstanding and the challenges associated with a fourm such as this. It is great but has limitations. I just felt badly for the woman who asked "were we wrong?"

Happy cruising!

Agreed.. I like to stick up for folks too.. And I can see where you were coming from.. It's all good. :)

Seriously - more time in the hot tub? or are you just guessing? Incidentally I have never seen any employee use the hot tubs at the front of the ship (the ones that appear in the web cam).

I'm curious how you would know.:p Maybe they are required to wear their uniforms when they enjoy the hot tub?;) (Just kidding with you.)

We haven't cruised on NCL so this is just a general cruise response. We like to give our tips in CASH on the last night. We like to give extra to those that have been fun, extra attentive, helpful, whatever. We have never shorted anyone the recommended tip. We have always felt like they work very hard for their tips and commend them for this.

Were we wrong?

It is understandable for us as cruisers to feel neglected by the head waiter or the maitre d' if that person never comes to the table during the week. We've had both kinds--the best, and then the one who comes by only on tip night.

HOWEVER, it's probably a matter of personality. The head waiter and the maitre d' are promoted to those positions because of their leadership qualities. They are in charge of the waiters, and if your wait staff are doing a great job, that is a testimony to how they are trained and supervised. I believe that deserves the small suggested tip amount.

(Of course, on NCL you don't have to worry about that because it is all handled automatically.)

Hope that answers your question. Kathy

I actually took no offense at the response. I assumed what they meant was how would it be if the employees were tipping us as consumers based on our behavior. I have seen cruisers be insufferably rude to the staff.

I think the response also about the maitre d in effect doing his job if we find our waiters doing their job was a point well taken.

I have noticed that you can post to a remark right above you and then it comes out in a different spot so it looks like you are responding to something different.

Punish!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I cringed at the word punish and I know many of you did as well thinking of all the wonderful crew we have encountered. In fairness,I am certain it was a stronger word than was meant by the poster to convey the message.

A ten hour day seven days a week is punishment enough for anyone. That is a normal schedule for a waiter and a room steward. It is a schedule that should allow for the benefit of the doubt if someone has a bad moment.

I cringed at the word punish and I know many of you did as well thinking of all the wonderful crew we have encountered. In fairness,I am certain it was a stronger word than was meant by the poster to convey the message.

A ten hour day seven days a week is punishment enough for anyone. That is a normal schedule for a waiter and a room steward. It is a schedule that should allow for the benefit of the doubt if someone has a bad moment.

Very, very true.

I will tell you as a former NCLAmerica housekeeping employee, an employee sees VERY little of the "service charge". Of course, this might be different for their foreign ships, but the American line, I know for a fact, does not recieve all that money you put in. If an employee is not good, please use the comment card, and if the employee goes above and beyond, PLEASE USE THE COMMENT CARDS. The employees do get feedback and its wonderful hearing from guest that they loved your service.

Well said!

I will tell you as a former NCLAmerica housekeeping employee, an employee sees VERY little of the "service charge". Of course, this might be different for their foreign ships, but the American line, I know for a fact, does not recieve all that money you put in. If an employee is not good, please use the comment card, and if the employee goes above and beyond, PLEASE USE THE COMMENT CARDS. The employees do get feedback and its wonderful hearing from guest that they loved your service.

My understanding is that it is different for NCLA, which is why there is a mention of staff welfare programs. I understand that a large portion of the NCLA service charge goes to the employees benefit packages which are very different than the employees on their foreign flagged ships.

I hope someone else who has more intimate knowledge will chime in.

I would love to hear more from you on the job and the interaction with passengers. I'm sure you have a lot of interesting stories!

I appreciate your comments. Can you give us any idea how much does make it to the employees on NCLa? And is the remainder used for the employees in any fashion?

Oops-sorry, looks like I may have been typing when SuiteCruiser hit enter.

I'm curious, keikotrinity...you mention you saw very little of the DSC, but I would assume if you were a cabin steward, you would receive about $3 for each passenger served. If by housekeeping, you mean someone who works in the laundry, or some other servce, then I could imagine you wouldn't receive as much. We are being told that most or all of the DSC goes directly to the workers. If that's not the case, I for one, would like to know. :confused:

DT

I'm curious, keikotrinity...you mention you saw very little of the DSC, but I would assume if you were a cabin steward, you would receive about $3 for each passenger served. If by housekeeping, you mean someone who works in the laundry, or some other servce, then I could imagine you wouldn't receive as much. We are being told that most or all of the DSC goes directly to the workers. If that's not the case, I for one, would like to know. :confused:

DT

Keikotrinity said he/she worked for NCLA, so that means America flagged, American crew, ship subject to USA labor laws including minimum wage, etc. It's always said here the NCLA ship(s) are different in that a lot of the DSC money goes toward employee benefits, etc, which again, are required by USA law.

On the foreign flagged ships, with an international crew, such laws are not in place, therefore, salary is lower, benefit programs are few, and a larger part of the DSC goes directly to the crew.

CG

Isn't the $12 per day service charge because of free style? There really isn't any way to tip a server, you may never have the same server twice on a cruise.

Right. But some people can't seem to fathom this simple concept.

Regarding head waiters and maitre d's, what difference does it make if they never come to your table? Who needs them unless you have a problem? That's another good reason for NCL's automatic tipping. You don't have to figure out who they are and run after them with an envelope while you're supposed to be on vacation. Same with assistant housekeepers, whoever they are. That's always been one of the great annoyances on lines like Celebrity.

We're just back from a Red Sea cruise where you had to tip the entire crew with a lump sum in cash and couldn't put it on your on-board account. What a convenience it is to have NCL add it automatically to your account where you simply see it on your credit card bill.

According to NCL, 100% of the DSC is divided between the cabin stewards, the restaurant wait staff and the Maitre d' staff. This is not the case on the American flagged ships, but they wouldn't discuss that with me.

According to NCL, 100% of the DSC is divided between the cabin stewards, the restaurant wait staff and the Maitre d' staff. This is not the case on the American flagged ships, but they wouldn't discuss that with me.

Good for NCL employees, not so sure for NCLA crew.

DT

I have noticed that you can post to a remark right above you and then it comes out in a different spot so it looks like you are responding to something different.

That does often happen. The safest way is to hit the "quote" button and proceed from there. That way, there will be no question. If you like, you can delete all of the quote except the bit you are responding to. (Be sure to leave the quote information in the beginning and ending brackets.)

Archived