Wine packages on Carnival

cruisininva

I saw on Carnival's website that they have a "Cruise the Vineyards" package -- one gives you 5 wines for $104 and the other gives you more expensive wines 5 for $150. Has anyone bought these before? How does it work? Do you pick a different bottle every night at dinner? Thanks for any info!

Christine

I saw on Carnival's website that they have a "Cruise the Vineyards" package -- one gives you 5 wines for $104 and the other gives you more expensive wines 5 for $150. Has anyone bought these before? How does it work? Do you pick a different bottle every night at dinner? Thanks for any info!

Christine

Hey Va Beach.....I'm in Va Beach also. We bought this package on our last cruise. It saved us a few bucks. They give you 5 coupons. On the back of each coupon it lists all the wines that are available for the package you purchased. You can use one a night or all 5 at the same time. Just remember to carry them down to the dining room with you. You can use them for different wines or all the same.....the choices are yours. Had some decent choices.

Hey Va Beach.....I'm in Va Beach also. We bought this package on our last cruise. It saved us a few bucks. They give you 5 coupons. On the back of each coupon it lists all the wines that are available for the package you purchased. You can use one a night or all 5 at the same time. Just remember to carry them down to the dining room with you. You can use them for different wines or all the same.....the choices are yours. Had some decent choices.

Cool! Thanks for the info, neighbor! :) It seems like a pretty good deal . . . especially since I like to have wine at dinner.

Christine

I assume you mean carry the coupons, not the wine?

The coupon thing sounds like a PITA. On RCCL (years ago) I got the package, and they kept track of how many bottles we had coming.

I usually go through a bottle or more by myself anyway, so the package sounds like a plan.

Anyone know first-hand if the coupons work in the supper clubs?

Are the packages the same on the shorter cruises as they are on the longer cruises? We bought a 5-bottle package on RCCL a few years ago because we like to have wine at dinner. That was plenty for a 7 day cruise. We'll be on a 4 day cruise this summer. Just wondering. Can anyone direct me to a site where I can look at more details?

I found it on Carnival's website -- it doesn't say that it's only available on longer cruises, so I think you'd be able to buy it for a shorter cruise.

Christine

We were on a 5 day Inspiration cruise when we purchased the package.

Oh crap it's only 5 bottles. I will have to bring 2 of my own.

I have seen that info before, but never actually read it, apparently.:o

I'd still like to know if they work in the supper club, which has a different wine list than the DR.

It's funny now, but it wasn't so funny when it happened: we once asked the waiter in the supper club to recommend a bottle of wine, which he did. $150 later....LOL, that may not be steep for some but it was for us! :eek:

Nope, that is steep. There are many great wines at 1/3 that price. Most people couldn't even tell the difference between the two.

They really tried to upsell me on the wine the first time I went to the supper club. I had to be persistent to keep it under $50, but the sommelier had major attitude. The next time, I brought a wine from my local wine shop for around $30 and paid the $15 corkage. I paid $45 for a wine that would go for $70-80 on their list (including tip),

Funny thing is the sommelier opened the wine and brought it over, and started telling me about the wine (I had already had it so knew it was great). So I offered him a glass and he said "Oh, I already tasted it".

D'oh! Kind of forward of him to help himself, I thought. Anyone know if that is SOP?

Does one have to purchase the coupons before the cruise or can they be purchased on board and if they can be purchased on board where does one get them?

Thanks' date='[/quote']

From the Carnival website:

To purchase a "Cruise the Vineyards" wine package during your cruise,

visit the Formalities Shop or ask your Dining Room waiter.

Wow, he tasted the wine that you had brought on the ship???? I think that's rude. Hmmm, even if you bought it on the ship and he tasted it, it would still be rude. I wonder if he had a sample of your food too? :eek::p

I didn't mind. There is not much that bothers me on the sea. I chalked it up to him being better informed about the wine he is pouring. TBT he was spot on about the description/pairing suggestions.

Along those lines, one time in Cozumel (Senor Frog's I think) the waiter took a sip out of one of my party's drinks.:eek: I was fuming. The dude denied it, but the drink was taking a long time, so I was watching.

They gave us a new drink on the house.

• 3 weeks later...

At the risk of over-analyzing the wine issue, here is a quick comparison of wine prices that I could find with the program and without. I've included a column to show how much you save with the wine program. Notice that sometimes the package rate is actually higher.

Last summer, we cruised on RCCL and someone had posted a much more detailed evaluation of their wines and prices. For fun, I did my homework, tried the wines at home (for much less $), decided which ones I liked best, then decided which plan, if any, saved me the most.

Deluxe Package

$104/5 bottles - $20.80/bottle

Korbel, Brut $3.20 savings

Beringer White Zin $2.20 savings

Robert Mondavi Pvt Selection Chardonnay 6.20 savings

Folonari Pinot Grigio $1.80 more

Brancott Sauvignon Blanc 3.20 savings

Alban St. Pré Vouvray 5.20 savings

Rex Goliath Pinot Noir ??

McGuigan Merlot 4.20 savings

Black Opal Shiraz 4.20 savings

Fetzer Cabernet Sauvignon 2.20 savings

George Duboeuf Beaujolais Village 2.20 savings

Premium Package

$150/5 bottles - $30.00/bottle

Domaine Chandon, Brut 3.00 savings

Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio 7.00 savings

Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc 1.00 savings

William Fevre Chablis $2.00 more

Kendall Jackson Grand Reserve Chardonnay 8.00 savings

Jekel Pinot Noir ??

Rutherford Hill Merlot 7.00 savings

Wolf Blass President Select Shiraz 8.00 savings

Sebastiani Cabernet Sauvignon ??

Castillo D’Albola Chianti Classico Reserva ??

Oh crap it's only 5 bottles. I will have to bring 2 of my own.

I have seen that info before, but never actually read it, apparently.:o

I'd still like to know if they work in the supper club, which has a different wine list than the DR.

Yes, it works in the Supper Club. We were on the Spirit week before last and several of us in our group of 28 bought the $150 package and a few folks used them in the Supper club. When DH and I ate there, we carried in a bottle of wine one of our friends had given us on board for our anniversary, so paid the corkage fee. The sommelier tasted our wine too, but after he asked.

Wow, he tasted the wine that you had brought on the ship???? I think that's rude. Hmmm, even if you bought it on the ship and he tasted it, it would still be rude. I wonder if he had a sample of your food too? :eek::p

That's what sommeliers do. DH works at a winery and with several sommeliers, it's their job....

At the risk of over-analyzing the wine issue, here is a quick comparison of wine prices that I could find with the program and without. I've included a column to show how much you save with the wine program. Notice that sometimes the package rate is actually higher.

Last summer, we cruised on RCCL and someone had posted a much more detailed evaluation of their wines and prices. For fun, I did my homework, tried the wines at home (for much less $), decided which ones I liked best, then decided which plan, if any, saved me the most.

Deluxe Package

Premium Package

Jekel Pinot Noir ??

So are the savings that you posted in red, the savings as compared to the package store prices?

If so, let me be the first to say, that I completely agree. Buying a bottle of wine at almost any restaurant, resort, or ship is a complete rip-off. That said; when you are at sea, and are only allowed to bring two of your own bottles, where else can you turn?

I compared some of the wines from the Premium list, to Carnival's listed price (as noted by the Bon Voyage Dept.) and there were a handful of $50 bottles on the premium list. Again, let me clarify. I know it's a rip-off. But if I am going to end up buying a few bottles (at their prices) anyway, why not do it for cheaper?

I guess it all boils down to how much wine you drink. We drink a lot:)

Just off the 5 night Destiny and they were only selling 3 bottle packages. It was $63 for the three. yes, not enough. So between the two of us, for cocktails on our balcony and to take a glass to a show and dinner wine, we just had to buy three packages.

We had hoped to get into Miami and find a liquor store for a box of wine to pack on, but didn't find the time.

Originally Posted by pearlandmom viewpost.gif

Wow, he tasted the wine that you had brought on the ship???? I think that's rude. Hmmm, even if you bought it on the ship and he tasted it, it would still be rude. I wonder if he had a sample of your food too?

That's what sommeliers do. DH works at a winery and with several sommeliers, it's their job....

No, that isn't their job. Their job is to be the subject matter expert on wines, make sound recommendations on food/wine pairings, what you might enjoy, etc.

Tasting the wine that you brought into the restaurant with you (without your permission) is like stealing. First of all, s/he should have opened the bottle at your table and would have therefore never had the opportunity to sip off the top. He had no right to taste your wine, whether you brought it with or whether you purchased it there, without being invited to do so. Frankly, as a professional, a sommelier should not even ask to try your wine but should wait to be invited to try it. That said, if I am being served a wine that my sommelier or waiter has not tried, I always ask them to taste it with me. But, that's my perogative. I would be very upset if s/he took it upon themselves to taste it without my invitation. But, then again, I would not accept a bottle of wine that was not opened in front of me at my table side.

Like someone said, did s/he or the chef for that matter sample the food off of your plate? It's about the same type of thing.

My apologies for coming across a bit harshly. That is kind of a hot button item with me. No hard feelings intended to any of the previous posters.

Take care,

Deluxe Package

Premium Package

Jekel Pinot Noir ??

Wow - very interesting! Thanks for doing that!

I presume these are Carnival prices from their wine list. If anyone has prices for the missing ones that would make the premium list much better. Great work!

Archived