Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

I was shocked to get the email from RCCL about all the changes. Are you kidding me?? We just reached Diamond status on our last cruise and was looking forward to the Diamond benefits. Now we cant use the concierge lounge? How much does RCCL think we're gonna eat/drink?

The other issue I have is with the "balcony credit" not being combined with the savings certs or the pre-cruise bookings. It infuriates me when I get the savings certs in my email or regular mail when RCCL KNOWS I cant use them! Why would I use a $50 or $100 cert when I can get a $200 diamond balcony credit?? To me this is false advertising.....and at least a tease. "Here are coupons but you cant use them!"

And now RCCL are going to nice and dime their customers? Its not like they are the only cruise line...they should encourage people to book with them...not discourage them.

We did book two cruises for next year before all these changes took place. We are seriously considering cancelling both cruises and rebooking with Norwegian.

If you think that Royal Caribbean does the nickle and dime job, wait until you try Norwegian.:rolleyes:

My husband also received the* letter and "worthless" coupons from Adam GOldstein. We were VERY MAD when we were told we couldnt combine them with our balcony credit. THEN WHY SEND THEM TO US???? Wouldnt you think the vice president would know whats going to happen when his "loyal" guests try to use them? The other thing we were told* that was uncombinable was our stock holder credit. My husband owns over 500 shares of RCCL and they wont give him a $100 credit???

Actually, those coupons are of use to those who are not planning to book a balcony or suite. We are on the Enchantment in July and taking an oceanview. There are no coupons for that sailing date, and no Diamond discount as it is not a suite. The purpose of the coupons is to try to generate interest for sailing dates that may not be as popular and are sent to all Crown and Anchor members, including those who are not Diamond or Platinum and do not get a balcony discount. They have no idea if you are going to book a balcony cabin and qualify for a discount or take an oceanview or inside cabin and use the coupon.

I get coupons all the time, from a variety of places. Some are useful and some go directly in the garbage, but I do not get angry at the people sending them.

I THINK IT IS IMPORTANT THAT ALL PAST AND FUTURE CRUISERS KNOW WHAT CHANGES ROYAL CARIBBEAN IS MAKING TO THE CROWN AND ANCHOR SOCIETY PROGRAM. IN THE PAST DIAMOND LEVEL WAS ACHIEVED AFTER TAKING TEN CRUISES ON ROYAL CARIBBEAN. THIS LEVEL CAME WITH SOME PERKS. THESE PERKS INCLUDED THE USE OF THE CONCIERGE AND THE CONCIERGE LOUNGE EACH AFTERNOON FROM 5:00 - 8:30 FOR COCKTAILS AND SNACKS. ROYAL CARIBBEAN HAS NOW DECIDED THEY CAN'T HANDLE THE CROWD AND IS TAKING THIS PRIVILEGE AWAY FROM ALL DIAMOND MEMBERS ON ALL BUT THREE OF THEIR CURRENT 20 SHIPS. THEIR MAIN STATED REASON FOR THESE CHANGES IS THAT THEIR IS NOT ENOUGH SPACE FOR THE SUITE PASSENGERS IN THE CONCIERGE LOUNGE. KEEP IN MIND THAT THESE SUITE PASSENGERS COULD MOST LIKELY BE ON THEIR FIRST CRUISE ON ROYAL CARIBBEAN. I GUESS ROYAL CARIBBEAN HAS DECIDED THAT THESE FIRST TIME PASSENGERS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THEN THE LOYAL RETURN CRUISERS WHO HAVE SAILED OVER TEN TIMES WITH RCCL. MY WIFE AND I HAVE TAKEN 22 CRUISES ON ROYAL CARIBBEAN AND FIND THIS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. WE HAVE A LARGE FAMILY WITH EIGHT DIAMOND MEMBERS WHO HAVE IN TOTAL OVER 140 CRUISES ON RCCL. WE WERE ON THREE CRUISES LAST YEAR, ALL OF THEM ON SMALLER SHIPS AND THEY HAD WORKED OUT THE CROWDING PROBLEM QUITE NICELY. FROM 5:00-8:30 THEY WOULD OPEN UP ONE OF THE UNUSED LOUNGES FOR DIAMOND MEMBERS TO ENJOY DRINKS AND SNACKS. IT WASN'T CROWED, AND ON ALL THREE CRUISES WE HAD NO PROBLEMS. NOW I GUESS THEY HAVE DECIDED TO USE THE CROWDING AS AN EXCUSE TO DISCONTINUE THIS PERK. IT SEEMS THAT THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR HAS TAKEN OVER IN THEIR DECISION MAKING PROCESS. THE USE OF THE CONCIERGE WAS ALSO A VERY NICE PERK FOR GETTING ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS AND SOLVING SMALL PROBLEMS. THIS TO IS NOW GOING AWAY. AS A LOYAL LONG TIME SUPPORTER OF ROYAL CARIBBEAN I FIND THESE CHANGES A SLAP IN THE FACE. MY FAMILY HAS SAILED OVER 140 TIMES ON ROYAL CARIBBEAN AND HAS SPENT A LOT OF MONEY TAKING CRUISES TO ACHIEVE THE DIAMOND LEVEL THEY PROMISED. NOW WITH VERY LITTLE CONSIDERATION THEY HAVE PUT US IN THE CATEGORY OF "JUST ANOTHER PASSENGER". THANKS FOR NOTHING ROYAL CARIBBEAN. WE WON'T BE SPENDING ANY MORE MONEY ON YOUR CRUISE LINE !!! :mad::mad::mad:

I was shocked to get the email from RCCL about all the changes. Are you kidding me?? We just reached Diamond status on our last cruise and was looking forward to the Diamond benefits. Now we cant use the concierge lounge? How much does RCCL think we're gonna eat/drink?

The other issue I have is with the "balcony credit" not being combined with the savings certs or the pre-cruise bookings. It infuriates me when I get the savings certs in my email or regular mail when RCCL KNOWS I cant use them! Why would I use a $50 or $100 cert when I can get a $200 diamond balcony credit?? To me this is false advertising.....and at least a tease. "Here are coupons but you cant use them!"

And now RCCL are going to nice and dime their customers? Its not like they are the only cruise line...they should encourage people to book with them...not discourage them.

We did book two cruises for next year before all these changes took place. We are seriously considering cancelling both cruises and rebooking with Norwegian.

Well WS,

You obviously haven't been following this thread for the last two weeks - this is sort of old news. As amazing as you may be finding what RC has done to the loyalty program, you will find that if you protest and complain on this thread, you will be labelled a whiner, as there may posters here that don't seem to care what all-wonderful RC does . So, consider your new Diamond status now officially changed to Cubic Zirconium. I especially feel for you since you never got a chance to try the benefits.

I found your post especially interesting, since you didn't get the info from reading these boards. If your RC email happened to be filtered to junk and never read, I wonder how you would have felt when showing up at the Concierge Lounge on the first evening? I think we'll be seeing a lot of those fireworks in a few months.

Well WS,

You obviously haven't been following this thread for the last two weeks - this is sort of old news. As amazing as you may be finding what RC has done to the loyalty program, you will find that if you protest and complain on this thread, you will be labelled a whiner, as there may posters here that don't seem to care what all-wonderful RC does . So, consider your new Diamond status now officially changed to Cubic Zirconium. I especially feel for you since you never got a chance to try the benefits.

I found your post especially interesting, since you didn't get the info from reading these boards. If your RC email happened to be filtered to junk and never read, I wonder how you would have felt when showing up at the Concierge Lounge on the first evening? I think we'll be seeing a lot of those fireworks in a few months.

Your right, I havent been following this thread from the beginning. I just started reading it today after being sent an email from Cruise Critic. I dont mind being a whiner and I know it wont get me anywhere! LOL.

Actually, those coupons are of use to those who are not planning to book a balcony or suite. We are on the Enchantment in July and taking an oceanview. There are no coupons for that sailing date, and no Diamond discount as it is not a suite. The purpose of the coupons is to try to generate interest for sailing dates that may not be as popular and are sent to all Crown and Anchor members, including those who are not Diamond or Platinum and do not get a balcony discount. They have no idea if you are going to book a balcony cabin and qualify for a discount or take an oceanview or inside cabin and use the coupon.

I get coupons all the time, from a variety of places. Some are useful and some go directly in the garbage, but I do not get angry at the people sending them.

I think the point is why bother sending the balcony and suite coupons to platinum and diamond members UNLESS the amount $$$ off the cruise is actually greater than the member's balcony discount. It does seem rather pointless to send a coupon for $100 off a balcony cabin to me if I already get $200 off for being a diamond C&A. I figured RC keeps sending the coupons in the hopes that someone won't realize the non-combination changes that have occurred and will use the coupon for their cruise. That way the cruiser ends up with less money off because the higher balcony discount will be removed and the lower coupon value applied.

I think they should continue to issue the inside and ocean view coupons to everyone, but limit the balcony coupons to gold C&A members.

I THINK IT IS IMPORTANT THAT ALL PAST AND FUTURE CRUISERS KNOW WHAT CHANGES ROYAL CARIBBEAN IS MAKING TO THE CROWN AND ANCHOR SOCIETY PROGRAM. IN THE PAST DIAMOND LEVEL WAS ACHIEVED AFTER TAKING TEN CRUISES ON ROYAL CARIBBEAN. THIS LEVEL CAME WITH SOME PERKS. THESE PERKS INCLUDED THE USE OF THE CONCIERGE AND THE CONCIERGE LOUNGE EACH AFTERNOON FROM 5:00 - 8:30 FOR COCKTAILS AND SNACKS. ROYAL CARIBBEAN HAS NOW DECIDED THEY CAN'T HANDLE THE CROWD AND IS TAKING THIS PRIVILEGE AWAY FROM ALL DIAMOND MEMBERS ON ALL BUT THREE OF THEIR CURRENT 20 SHIPS. THEIR MAIN STATED REASON FOR THESE CHANGES IS THAT THEIR IS NOT ENOUGH SPACE FOR THE SUITE PASSENGERS IN THE CONCIERGE LOUNGE. KEEP IN MIND THAT THESE SUITE PASSENGERS COULD MOST LIKELY BE ON THEIR FIRST CRUISE ON ROYAL CARIBBEAN. I GUESS ROYAL CARIBBEAN HAS DECIDED THAT THESE FIRST TIME PASSENGERS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THEN THE LOYAL RETURN CRUISERS WHO HAVE SAILED OVER TEN TIMES WITH RCCL. MY WIFE AND I HAVE TAKEN 22 CRUISES ON ROYAL CARIBBEAN AND FIND THIS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. WE HAVE A LARGE FAMILY WITH EIGHT DIAMOND MEMBERS WHO HAVE IN TOTAL OVER 140 CRUISES ON RCCL. WE WERE ON THREE CRUISES LAST YEAR, ALL OF THEM ON SMALLER SHIPS AND THEY HAD WORKED OUT THE CROWDING PROBLEM QUITE NICELY. FROM 5:00-8:30 THEY WOULD OPEN UP ONE OF THE UNUSED LOUNGES FOR DIAMOND MEMBERS TO ENJOY DRINKS AND SNACKS. IT WASN'T CROWED, AND ON ALL THREE CRUISES WE HAD NO PROBLEMS. NOW I GUESS THEY HAVE DECIDED TO USE THE CROWDING AS AN EXCUSE TO DISCONTINUE THIS PERK. IT SEEMS THAT THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR HAS TAKEN OVER IN THEIR DECISION MAKING PROCESS. THE USE OF THE CONCIERGE WAS ALSO A VERY NICE PERK FOR GETTING ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS AND SOLVING SMALL PROBLEMS. THIS TO IS NOW GOING AWAY. AS A LOYAL LONG TIME SUPPORTER OF ROYAL CARIBBEAN I FIND THESE CHANGES A SLAP IN THE FACE. MY FAMILY HAS SAILED OVER 140 TIMES ON ROYAL CARIBBEAN AND HAS SPENT A LOT OF MONEY TAKING CRUISES TO ACHIEVE THE DIAMOND LEVEL THEY PROMISED. NOW WITH VERY LITTLE CONSIDERATION THEY HAVE PUT US IN THE CATEGORY OF "JUST ANOTHER PASSENGER". THANKS FOR NOTHING ROYAL CARIBBEAN. WE WON'T BE SPENDING ANY MORE MONEY ON YOUR CRUISE LINE !!! :mad::mad::mad:

Welcome to CC.

This has been discussed on many threads/postings on here for quite some time now and

your post is rather late on this topic.

Perhaps you should send it directly to RCCL's main offices. That is who took away your benefits.

I would suggest that you do not use Capital letters though. That is not appropriate in an email.

Well WS,

Oh I can see the fireworks now... not only directed towards the Concierge, but also the Loyalty Ambassador and Guest Relations. It will not be a pretty sight.

Hey, please do refrain from the yelling. I do understand your frustration. I am far far away from Diamond or + or whatever else they have so I never had the lounge to begin with. Theres been alot of these type posts on the boards and folks seem pretty uptight. But ya know the best thing about being an American (or a citizen of any other country) is that you have the right to switch to any other cruise line you see fit to. Whatever your decision, I hope you enjoy your cruise, land based vacation or whereever else life takes you.

Folks, its tough times right now but we all need to be thankful that we can even afford to go on these cruises in the first place. Hopefully if things turn around they will offer the lounge to you again. But for now along w/ the millions of other companies they are cutting back and if you choose not to patronize their company then thats Ok and entirely your right and choice.

As a fellow resident of NC, please behave and represent our state in a good way.

Thanks

I think the point is why bother sending the balcony and suite coupons to platinum and diamond members UNLESS the amount $$$ off the cruise is actually greater than the member's balcony discount. It does seem rather pointless to send a coupon for $100 off a balcony cabin to me if I already get $200 off for being a diamond C&A. I figured RC keeps sending the coupons in the hopes that someone won't realize the non-combination changes that have occurred and will use the coupon for their cruise. That way the cruiser ends up with less money off because the higher balcony discount will be removed and the lower coupon value applied.

I think they should continue to issue the inside and ocean view coupons to everyone, but limit the balcony coupons to gold C&A members.

Yes, you get the point, but why send ANY of these coupons to people who own stock in RCL? The $100 OBC for being a stockholder trumps the $50 off every time.

I am surprised that they spend all that money sending worthless coupons and inaccurate letters to the wrong target audience. I mean, aren't they supposed to be trimming costs?

Think of all the Diamonds getting on Brilliance and Voyager Class ships in July expecting their CL Key and letter from the concierge. Those poor Cabin Stewards and Concierges! The lines at Guest Relations will be long!

What this public relations disaster boils down to is how it was handled. Plain and simple. RCI blew it and it certainly isn't over yet.

Colleen

... and just to add...

This won't be just a one week problem. This will be an every week problem for a long time. There are people who only cruise once a year or once every other year who won't find out until they board the ship. :(

Yes, you get the point, but why send ANY of these coupons to people who own stock in RCL? The $100 OBC for being a stockholder trumps the $50 off every time.

I am surprised that they spend all that money sending worthless coupons and inaccurate letters to the wrong target audience. I mean, aren't they supposed to be trimming costs?

It would be much harder to figure out who owns RC stock. Your C&A number and status is linked to the coupons so they should know that I'm going to throw the coupons away unless there actually is one for more than my balcony discount. The stock information that I receive doesn't have my C&A number or C&A status linked to it. I guess they could run a program to cross reference C&A names with shareholder names but my guess is the information is stored in different servers and not worth the effort to them.

Yeah, we get it. Diamond members are ticked. Got the message loud and clear.

Since you're no longer cruising RCI, I guess we won't be seeing you on this board anymore. Farewell.

Yes, well the reason Diamond members are "ticked" is that we got the message "loud and clear" from RCI that they no longer value return guests.

Some won't be cruising RCI anymore. I never say never. I informed RCI by phone that after my 3 RCI cruises in the next year that are already paid for or booked, we will only book RCI when the price hits rock bottom at the last minute. No more advanced bookings with my money sitting in their accounts a year or more out. And anyone who thinks the prices don't hit rock bottom at the last minute might want to check it out.

Also, my family usually books ship excursions through the ship. Well that will change as well. There are ways people can continue to cruise RCI but make their displeasure with the changes known by just spending less with the cruise line than they did when Loyalty was still a two-way street. Won't change my experience much, I will still spend plenty, it just won't all go to RCI. Apparently that is what RCI wants and I will be happy to oblige.

Colleen

... and just to add...

This won't be just a one week problem. This will be an every week problem for a long time. There are people who only cruise once a year or once every other year who won't find out until they board the ship. :(

Oh yeah, like I said, this is just the tip of the Iceberg. This is going to be a nightmare for the Employees dealing with this problem on the Brilliance and Voyager Class Ships. Probably the last straw for many of the best employees as they have been getting kicked in the head with many of RCI's wonderful and innovative new changes and choices and added benefits!!!!

I doubt they track who owns stock and who doesn't. If you used a stockholder credit some time ago, it does not mean you still own stock. Big difference between a customer database and an owner database.

You just might be surprised to know what they know about each passenger and that much of it is at their fingertips. I recently found out how quickly they can pull up exactly what you spent, what OBC you received , etc. on past cruises. This was on another issue and not related to the topic at hand.

My point is the "gift" they sent me is worthless. The letter contained a major untruth (lie). It wasn't worth the paper it was written on and certainly not worth the manpower and mailing fee. A waste of good resources that could be better used to keep their most loyal and frequent customers coming back. The CL, anyone?

Hey, please do refrain from the yelling. I do understand your frustration. I am far far away from Diamond or + or whatever else they have so I never had the lounge to begin with. Theres been alot of these type posts on the boards and folks seem pretty uptight. But ya know the best thing about being an American (or a citizen of any other country) is that you have the right to switch to any other cruise line you see fit to. Whatever your decision, I hope you enjoy your cruise, land based vacation or whereever else life takes you.

Folks, its tough times right now but we all need to be thankful that we can even afford to go on these cruises in the first place. Hopefully if things turn around they will offer the lounge to you again. But for now along w/ the millions of other companies they are cutting back and if you choose not to patronize their company then thats Ok and entirely your right and choice.

As a fellow resident of NC, please behave and represent our state in a good way.

Thanks

So good to see someone with the same attitude:) Everyone needs to remember just how lucky they are IMHO

You just might be surprised to know what they know about each passenger and that much of it is at their fingertips. I recently found out how quickly they can pull up exactly what you spent, what OBC you received , etc. on past cruises. This was on another issue and not related to the topic at hand.

My point is the "gift" they sent me is worthless. The letter contained a major untruth (lie). It wasn't worth the paper it was written on and certainly not worth the manpower and mailing fee. A waste of good resources that could be better used to keep their most loyal and frequent customers coming back. The CL, anyone?

Just because someone got the OBC for the share holders benefit does not mean that that those shares are still owned. The flip side of this is you get home and sell your shares and the cruise line sends you stuff about share holder's benefits. They simply can not win here.

It seems to me that the cruise line decided to let those spending the most money on-board a sailing (suite passengers) keep the lounge benefit. Those seem to be the customers they value most in the current econonmy.

Just because someone got the OBC for the share holders benefit does not mean that that those shares are still owned. The flip side of this is you get home and sell your shares and the cruise line sends you stuff about share holder's benefits. They simply can not win here.

It seems to me that the cruise line decided to let those spending the most money on-board a sailing (suite passengers) keep the lounge benefit. Those seem to be the customers they value most in the current econonmy.

You might want to revise this statement to say "let those spending the most money on their cabin fare" because I know people who sail in suites who spend almost nothing onboard but spend $7000 on their cabins. I also know people who book balconies or junior suites for $4000 but spend over $3000 on excursions, drinks, photos, etc. Using those examples, if you factor in the add-ons, RC makes more from the non-suite guests than the suites. ;)

Yes, well the reason Diamond members are "ticked" is that we got the message "loud and clear" from RCI that they no longer value return guests.

Some won't be cruising RCI anymore. I never say never. I informed RCI by phone that after my 3 RCI cruises in the next year that are already paid for or booked, we will only book RCI when the price hits rock bottom at the last minute. No more advanced bookings with my money sitting in their accounts a year or more out. And anyone who thinks the prices don't hit rock bottom at the last minute might want to check it out.

Also, my family usually books ship excursions through the ship. Well that will change as well. There are ways people can continue to cruise RCI but make their displeasure with the changes known by just spending less with the cruise line than they did when Loyalty was still a two-way street. Won't change my experience much, I will still spend plenty, it just won't all go to RCI. Apparently that is what RCI wants and I will be happy to oblige.

Colleen

Well said. Same here. I have enough ill-fitting Crap and Anchor hats and cheap picture frames anyway. RCCL has leveled the playing field to the point that I can now see all the other cruise lines out there.

Father Guido Sarducci's Five Minute University course in Business 101 stated: It's always cheaper to KEEP a customer than to FIND a new one. And, never give your customers a reason to try your competition.

Knowledge that seems to be lacking at RCCL.

:D

Do you know as a fact that suite passengers spend more money onboard or is this your assumption? You may be correct, but I didn't know this was public info.

As has been said numerous times on this thread, the CL was implemented to honor suite guest as a perk for spending more money on a cabin than others.

Archived