Jewel and Dental emergencies

avabrooke

We are sailing on the Jewel this Friday, April 3rd. We are going with my daughter and family and another couple. The man with the other couple has had many problems with his teeth the last couple of months. Some of them dental emergencies. He is nervous that this will happen on the cruise. This is their first one. What does the ship do if this were to happen? I know there is a doctor on board what about dental problems? Has anyone had this happen to them?

We are sailing on the Jewel this Friday, April 3rd. We are going with my daughter and family and another couple. The man with the other couple has had many problems with his teeth the last couple of months. Some of them dental emergencies. He is nervous that this will happen on the cruise. This is their first one. What does the ship do if this were to happen? I know there is a doctor on board what about dental problems? Has anyone had this happen to them?

There is no dentist on board. This is a cruise ship, not a hospital ship. He'd be treated for pain, and perhaps they'd try to help find a reputable dentist at one of the ports, but other dental care would be extremely limited.

njhorseman,

I, like you, broke a tooth while out on an excursion on NCL Pearl. I also had to wait until I got home to see my family dentist. Thank goodness I was not in terrible pain and still was able to enjoy my cruise.

My cousin is married to a dentist. Often he (along with his wife and kids) goes on cruises free to be the crew's dentist. The crew gos in for cleaning, check up's and minor repairs. If there is a dental emergency with a passenger, he will take care of it, fee for service. The passenger then takes the paid bill and submits it to their insurance. He works every morning and has the afternoons and evenings to spend with his family.

I guess IF they have a dentist on board during your cruise, you're "covered".

avabrooke,

Like your friend, I have many dental problems and it is a worry when I go on a trip. Since I see my dentist more than most, he always gives me an antibiotic and a prescription for a few pain killers while away. I always have them filled and know that if an emergency should arise I have medication with me.

Since I have had so many problems in the past, I usually know what the problem is and most often the medication will take care of it until I return home.

There are crown repair kits in most pharmacies, but your friend could ask his dentist for a recommendation.

Enjoy your trip and may your friend have a wonderful time.

Sandy

Hi AvaBrooke,

Have you and your friends joined the Jewel's 4/3 sailing cc roll call?

There is about 80 of us right now and we have two meet & greets planned, including the official one from NCL on 4/4 at the Azure Restaurant.

Please feel free to come and join the group, the more the merrier!:)

I have had the terrible misfortune of needing root canals before two of my cruises this year (the day before we left both times!). It really, really sucks to be in terrible pain, unable to eat and distant from your dentist.

I was fearful of the teeth absessing as that has been a pattern for me over time. My endontist sent me with a filled prescription for painkillers, antibiotics and prednisone for inflammation in case the teeth were a problem. If the friend has regular dental issues, it is quite likely his dentist would fill a prescription 'in case' of emergency.

One thing I did on my last cruise was use the onboard accupuncturist. She did a specific treatment for dental pain and OMG did it ever make a difference. I went from weeping to relief-- not total by a long shot, but it was tolerable immediately and she offered to do a second round if I needed it without charge. I don't know if the family friend would go for this if a problem occured, but there is nothing like horrible pain to motivate one to try something new.

I also looked up on the net names of dentists at each port and had the numbers handy.

You can find them over-the-counter in most any large pharmacy, near the tooth products.

These are great for temporary repairs. I usually carry Dent A Temp with me just in case. Keep in mind they do NOT work if you have lost the post for the crown.

can you tell me where the meet and Greet is going to take place and where? I would love to attend.

Visit the ROLL CALL section to find others cruising with you. directions are in the sticky at the top of this page, and in the notes below.

The ship's medical department will have a list of recommended dentists in each port of call if an emergency develops. Don't worry, this happens more than people realize, especially with about 1000 crew members on board with up to ten month contracts. The cruise lines know which dentists to go to.

One time I went and as soon as we left port the filling in my front tooth fell out. Luckily I had some temporary filling stuff from the drugstore. I had to put it in the front tooth. BOY did I have a WHITE tooth during this cruise, but no toothache. I'm so used to dental problems like that I always carried the stuff, now I have a full denture. I wondered if the ships Dr. would prescribe and antibiotic and some pain killers for someone if they had a toothache and we were at sea it can happen to anyone.

My cousin is married to a dentist. Often he (along with his wife and kids) goes on cruises free to be the crew's dentist. The crew gos in for cleaning, check up's and minor repairs. If there is a dental emergency with a passenger, he will take care of it, fee for service. The passenger then takes the paid bill and submits it to their insurance. He works every morning and has the afternoons and evenings to spend with his family.

I guess IF they have a dentist on board during your cruise, you're "covered".

OMG! Where do we sign up for that deal? Hubby and I would happily work mornings in exchange for a free cruise. I've never heard of such a thing and didn't even realize that a ship would have any kind of a dental unit on board.

ee

Archived