Are many children on the ships during the "school year"?

gacat93

We plan to sail on the Glory in September with two kids, ages 14 and 12. We are taking them out of school for the week. They are wondering if during the typical school year time period, there will be other children on board? They have visions of being the only ones there, but I suspect we will by far not be the only parents who ever take the kids out of school for a cruise. What has been your experience? Are there generally plenty of kids on the cruises regardless of the time of year you sail?

If it is close to a holiday (like Labor Day)...there will definately be more kids onboard than if it is at the end of the month.

There won't be as many as the summer...but there will be some.

Also since both at Circle C age....they will be together...so that will a plus!!

On our January cruise (after school was back in session), there were quite a few kids on board. Most likely they were out of school for a week, or maybe "Home Schooled". Lot of well behaved kids - didn't see any tantrums or other problems. They seemed to be having a blast (no lines on the water slide) - if I went up those stairs as many times as they did, I would have to be taken off the ship on a stretcher. :)

We typically cruise in February - and there are always some kids on board. Have you checked to see if there is a roll call thread for your cruise? There may be some kids identfied on there.

Have them go to the Circle C activities the first night. I am sure that your kids will find others to hang out with.

We plan to sail on the Glory in September with two kids, ages 14 and 12. We are taking them out of school for the week. They are wondering if during the typical school year time period, there will be other children on board? They have visions of being the only ones there, but I suspect we will by far not be the only parents who ever take the kids out of school for a cruise. What has been your experience? Are there generally plenty of kids on the cruises regardless of the time of year you sail?

Hello!

When are you going in September? I am cruising in September with a 12 and 9 year old.

I believe you are conspiring to break international law. Cruise ship space during school sessions is reserved for those of us that wish to cruise WITHOUT the pleasure of enjoying your beautiful children. Please cruise during school vacations when your children will have many companions.

:D:D

Dan

We never cruised during school vacations when I was younger, and there were always plenty of kids for me to hang out with. One time on a cruise to Bermuda in the beginning of May there were only 10 of us that we could find who were close to our age but we all found each other and made friends.

Nope your not the only one. I'm taking mine out in 3 weeks to go for a week. I have to go off season. Every seen how much it cost for 6 people to go during summer?

I believe you are conspiring to break international law. Cruise ship space during school sessions is reserved for those of us that wish to cruise WITHOUT the pleasure of enjoying your beautiful children. Please cruise during school vacations when your children will have many companions.

:D:D

Dan

I seriously hope you're kidding! We ALWAYS take our kids on vacation in September. They go to year round school and gets a 3 week break in September....... works alot better for us!

When we were on the Freedom in February they announced that there were only about 100 children on board the ship...which out of around 3000 passengers is a very small percentage.

But with many schools going to a year round format, the break times for many kids don't follow the traditional Summer, Spring Break, Holidays off format. Plus with the economy, more families are likely trying to travel during off-peak times to be able to afford a nicer vacation.

Misty

We cruise during my 13 yr old sister's Fall Break in Oct, but the county we live in has their Fall Break in Sept.

My sister's county started school July 31 and they get Fall Break Week in Oct, Thanksgiving Week in Nov, 2 weeks Holiday break in Dec, Winter Break Week in Feb, Spring Break Week in April. Last day of school is 05/29 I think.

We're going on the November 1st Legend cruise and I have the same concerns, mostly with my 13 year old (my 17 year old will have friends traveling with us). In New Jersey, the first week of November is a very popular time for vacations as the kids only have 2 days of school that week and because prices are very affordable. In Disney they call it "Jersey Week." So most of the Jerseyites will be there. Don't know if any go on a cruise and if so there are so many cruises to choose from. Haven't found a roll call for this cruise either. Here's hoping!

Although its been several years since our last cruise, we cruised the Western Caribbean in the first week of October and I honestly cannot remember seeing any children or even teens on the cruise. After looking back through our photos, I didn't see any kiddos in them. If there were any on board, they were very few.

We did though see a significant number of adults acting like children... :rolleyes:

including me... :o

We have cruised a few times in September and there were not alot of children. My daughter was a little disappointed because there were not alot of kids in the kids club and some activities were cancelled.

I always cruise with my child. Carnival is for everyone, with children and those who do not bring children.

Dan: Maybe you should take the suggestion to please take your vacation to an adults only resort and leave the cruising for all who wish to vacation together or not. Your post was offensive and rude.

We intentionally cruise in September to have the fewest kids on a cruise with us each time.

Most parents with kids in traditional schools (starting just before or after Labor Day) seem to pull their kids out less in September, as it is the very beginning of the school year.

On our September Glory Cruise last year, Wee Jimmy, the CD announced there was less than 40 children on board.

I think we only saw a group of about 7 or 8 small kids on an elevator once all week, going to one of their activities.

Never saw any kids at dinner or around the buffett.

Saw a couple of teens at the grill and pizzaria once or twice.

There will definitely at least be a few kids on board with you.

Like someone stated, the options will probably just be more limited, due to them cancelling events for lack of kids.

Bill

We have done a mid-September cruise - almost no children onboard and the few that were there were toddler age and not in school yet. I would say less than 50 kids on that sailing.

I've also sailed the end of October and found there were many more kids then - around 400 on that sailing. Maybe has something to do with more parents willing to pull them out later in the school year and/or possibly a fall break in some places.

I always cruise with my child. Carnival is for everyone, with children and those who do not bring children.

Dan: Maybe you should take the suggestion to please take your vacation to an adults only resort and leave the cruising for all who wish to vacation together or not. Your post was offensive and rude.

And you are easily my equal when it comes to offensive and rude posts. I will take vacations when I want, where I want and you will not be consulted for your judgement of a single nanosecond of my life. As a adult with rights exactly equal to yours, how is it unreasonable for me to not care for children on cruises DURING the school year? I do not and will not take a cruise during the vacation times. [altho I have forgotten about spring break a couple of times]

With no offense meant to the OP, so many children today are monsters that I do not care to have around. And that is the fault of POOR parenting skills, knowledge or concern. I have kids and grandkids. It is not the kids, it is the conduct of way TOO many of them.

Dan

I seriously hope you're kidding! We ALWAYS take our kids on vacation in September. They go to year round school and gets a 3 week break in September....... works alot better for us!

:D:D means I wasn't super serious. If your school break is in September, it is. That is not on the same page as taking kids out of school for something as UNimportant as a cruise.

With 50 cruises, I don't consider cruising unimportant, but in this context, compared to a child's preparation for life. Cruising is almost meaningless.

Dan

Archived