Tundra Wilderness Tour vs. Kantishna Experience

ShawninFL

We will be in Denali on the last day of bus service in September 2009. My question, is which bus tour should be book. The TWT or Kantishna Experience. We want to see as much wildlife as possible, but we also want to see as much of the park as possible. Which would you recommend and why?

Thanks,

Shawn

I don't recommend either. Both very high cost, triple priced compared to the shuttle buses. The Kantishna day trip is basically an overpriced lunch. You will have no time for the several activities that the overnight guests have and in my opinion, then only reason to go there. Superior is the Wonder Lake Shuttle bus and bring all your own food and drink with you.

The Tundra Wilderness tour, doen't cut it for me either. Only gets 53 of the 90 miles into the park. My min. is mile 66 Eielson. Wonder Lake is mile 85. ALL go the same road. So, for scenery and wildlife it is ALL about distance, not "what" bus (shuttle or tour) you take.

The Kantishna Tours only run until September 11 or 15, depending on whether you look on the NPS or Aramark site. The last day of bus service is the 20th, with the only tour being run the shorter Tek tour. Shuttle buses stop on the 17th. If you are driving, you can drive your vehicle to Tek, the same distance as the TWT after Sept. 17.

Which day exactly will you be in the park?

We are in Denali on September 11th, but taking Budget Queens advice and some more research we reserved the Shuttle Bus to Wonder Lake. If Mom and Dad get tired or uncomfortable, they can hop off the bus and head back early. Plus this option was $100 cheaper per person than the Kantishna tour. This savings may allow us to financially squeeze in another air tour during the cruise.

Thanks for always being so helpful.

Shawn

Archived