Weather for Western Carib in August?

kiraryker

It's hot and humid, unless of course it happens to be bright, sunny and pleasant, which or course excludes the windward side of the island where it's cooler, or if you're in the rainforest where it's pratically a sauna, unless of course it starts to raining and cools everything off, which of course is all meaningless if a hurricane is coming...

sorry, couldn't resist! It tends to be hotter that time of year, but you'll likely notice the biggest difference in Florida and not the ports themselves.

I would suggest if it is an option, doing the Western in December.

(especially if you plan to visit any Mayan ruins inland at any port or any zip lining, etc. in the jungles)

We are doing Bahamas in September and saving the Western (Cozumel and Grand Cayman) for January for the less HUMID, but still 80's weather.

Bill

It'll be hot...and humid at times. And all that heat and humidity causes some weird weather you may have to divert around.

But you'll be safe and you'll have a blast!

I cruise almost exclusively in August. Fits my schedule. Prices are good.

Have always had a great time.

Go!

HURRICANE SEASON: August is the beginning of the peak hurricane season in the Gulf (Aug 15-Oct15). There will almost assuredly be tropical depressions or storms in the Gulf of Mexico in August. That doesn't mean they will be present the week you sail, nor does it mean they will affect the ports you visit. However, if the possibility of 15-20 foot seas and 50 MPH winds worries you, you may want to consider another month.

As other writers have posted, the captain will sail around bad weather, which may cause a change in ports.

I can tell you, I have sailed twice in August without a problem. However, you should always consider the weather that time of year.

We did the Western Caribbean at the end of August. It was the hottest cruise I have been on. It was fine on the ship, but at the ports it was extremely hot! I mean dripping hot! We had no rain and very smooth sailing. I remember looking out at the water several times and amazed how smooth the water was. There were no waves at all!

Archived