Transatlantic Clothes..is this too much?

hazeleyez3

My husband and I will be taking a 13 night transatlantic cruise in a couple weeks (going to Portugal, Spain, and London) We are also spending two nights in FL before the cruise, and one night in London after.

I believe it is supposed to be 50 or so at the different ports, so I am guessing we might want to steer clear of tees, shorts, etc?

This is what I am thinking is good to pack:

• Bathing suit (for FL)
  • 1 pair of shorts
  • 2 t-shirts (or summer type daytime shirts)
  • 5 daytime shirts
  • 2 pairs of daytime pants.... or should I do 3?
  • 3 dress slacks for dinners
  • 5 blouses for dinners
  • My formal dresses
  • 4 bras...1 white, 1 black, sports bra (for the gym) and one corset)
  • 5 pairs of underwear
  • Pair of pajamas
  • Pair of tennis shoes
  • Boots (casual kind that you may see a lot of women wear daily)
  • T-shirt for gym
  • Pants for gym
  • 3 pairs of socks (2 for everyday under my boots, one for the gym)
  • lightweight jacket
  • Dress heels

I figure I'll make use of the laundey service about halfway through the trip.

Now, from that I will be wearing some of the clothes on the plane...boots, socks, jeans, bra, underwear, casual shirt, and I 'll wear the jacket on the plane.

With that said, I still feel like I am overpacking. Is there anything you guys would eliminate...or change?

I'm no help because I take more than what you have for a 7 day cruise.:eek:

Of course, we don't have to fly so I'm only limited to whatever my "sherpa" can comfortably, or uncomfortably handle.:p

Seriously, since you can make use of the laundry you should be alright. I would probably throw in another tee shirt, daytime shirt and daytime slacks...but that's just me.

With temps in the ranges you are talking about I'd probably take 1 short and Tshirt outfit, 3 pairs of slacks and tops, my evening clothes and a sweater. The swimsuit is a must (not just for FL but for the pool on the ship) and I would include a cover up of some sort. Laundry service is a real blessing on a trip of this length, make sure the pieces you are packing will handle the stress of professional laundry - high heat dryers for instance. My very best advice is to make sure you have one color scheme and that all the pieces mix and match. This makes light packing much easier. Have a great cruise!

My husband and I will be taking a 13 night transatlantic cruise in a couple weeks (going to Portugal, Spain, and London) We are also spending two nights in FL before the cruise, and one night in London after.

I believe it is supposed to be 50 or so at the different ports, so I am guessing we might want to steer clear of tees, shorts, etc?

This is what I am thinking is good to pack:

• Bathing suit (for FL)
  • 1 pair of shorts
  • 2 t-shirts (or summer type daytime shirts)
  • 5 daytime shirts
  • 2 pairs of daytime pants.... or should I do 3?
  • 3 dress slacks for dinners
  • 5 blouses for dinners
  • My formal dresses
  • 4 bras...1 white, 1 black, sports bra (for the gym) and one corset)
  • 5 pairs of underwear
  • Pair of pajamas
  • Pair of tennis shoes
  • Boots (casual kind that you may see a lot of women wear daily)
  • T-shirt for gym
  • Pants for gym
  • 3 pairs of socks (2 for everyday under my boots, one for the gym)
  • lightweight jacket
  • Dress heels

I figure I'll make use of the laundey service about halfway through the trip.

37 pcs of clothing, not incl formal attire for you...I'm going "land" to Spain and Port for 22 daze..and havd 36 pcs plus shoes n undies.. I did a dry run list/visual..if I couldnt wear an item 3x or more, it went back to closet/drawer. I have an 8 days school scenario, 4 days in Madrid on our own, and a 10 day tour. I take "picnic/room stuff..my 29 in case weighs 10#'s empty...with just the clothing it totals 25#'s..so 10#'s of the survival stuff..will bring it under my limit. I will take it to my post office at the end and weigh it. I have a smaller rolly that fits in the ovehead bin, and a large Handbag" for under the seat", with my "In case I need it without digging overhead..stuff", ie: reading /travel /tour info, meds, face and freshen up stuff, docs, $,raincoat,water and snacks.This will be about my 30th trip abroad, and I have it down to my personal needs science. I'm curious how close I will come to my free baggage limit..you trip sounds devine..voyage safely

Your list looks good, I would tweak it just a bit if it were me. I would probably take at least two more pair of socks and one more pair of daytime pants. We used the laundry and found it didn't come back until the late afternoon of the second day.

You could possibly eliminate one night time blouse, I took about the same amount for a 13 night cruise and found that I didn't wear a couple of them. I took only two pair of slacks for casual dinners and it was plenty. If I did this type of cruise again, I'd take one formal dress in black and change accessories for two of the nights, with a second dress in between, not three different dresses.

I would add a pair of rubber shoes, like flip flops, for the pool or solarium.

We're also going on a TA in April ( our 2nd), followed by one day in Barcelona and one week in London. I plan to pack as light as possible, as we'll be flying to London, and airline restricts checkin luggage to 44 lbs.

For day time wear, I plan to take 4 Columbia t-shirts ( the nonwicking, handwash type, that dry overnight). On our last TA cruise, I packed 2 lightweight sweaters and used them both. I wear capris rather than shorts, so for day time wear, I'll pack 3 pr. of capris and 3 long pants ( one I'll wear on flight). Will also wear lightweight jacket on plane.

For casual evenings, 2 pair of dress pants ( mine are both black, for easy mix and match) and 5 tops/blouses should suffice. I'm limiting my formal wear to one long, black, crepe skirt, and 2 tops.

For the gym, I'll pack 2 tops and one pr. of pants. Shoes will be limited to one pair of Merrills for walking and gym, sandals,dress shoes and flip flops.

Usually pack 4 or 5 pair of socks (they don't take much space and can be stuffed into shoes).

Will also pack one bathing suit and coverup.

Hope this helps.

with Stelladora; her list sounds very close to what I packed for our TA last April. It could be sunny, warm, windy, rainy depending on the day and port. A hat/sunscreen/umbrella are essential for me plus very comfy walking shoes for the cobblestone walkways.

No shorts but did take a pair of zip off pants (not European taste but worked for me)

While at Herculaneum (sp?) I saw the European ladies in their linen dress and high heels or in nice tight jeans, leather jacket, and boots while there I was, looking very Canadian in my zip off pants, walking shoes, Tilley hat etc. So...call me a tourist!:D

have fun packing.

My suggestion would be to take one less blouse and one less shirt and substitute a small umbrella. Being from Europe originally, I can tell you that Europe can be quite rainy in April and not terribly warm either although you could get really lucky, particularly in Spain. Just my two cents' worth!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am from the UK and would just add that you ought to have a warm cardigan or jumper with you as at the end of April it can be cold (and wet). You definately need a waterproof of some sort and an umbrella would be good, however you could leave the brolly behind and buy one if you need it.

Hope this helps

Emma :D

We did 12-nights last March/April from San Juan to the Azores, Spain and then to London. It was pretty darned cold some days. One at least two days I wound up wearing a t-shirt, tunic, hoodie and my trench coat. My advice would be to make sure you can layer if it gets chilly. And my gloves & scarf were indispensible!

For day I had two pairs of pants - a pair of khakis and a pair of jeans, plus a pair of capris. They were all cleaned once. I had my dresses plus a skirt & pair of tuxedo pants for dinners. Plus tops to mix & match with those. I did pack a light evening jacket that I wound up wearing virtually every evening - except when we were still in the Caribbean.

Laundry is quite reasonable. I sent bags out at least twice, but I brought a bit of detergent to wash out undergarments and our workout gear. I'd bring more socks - they take forever to dry!

I did wear many things at least twice, if not more, and that was really okay. And I know they say that people don't notice if you wear the same thing twice, but I noticed that a woman seated close to us in the dining room wore the same dress 10 out of 12 nights. But I actually admired her for it. If she could take a transatlantic flight with one little carry-on bag, good for her!!

Hi,

I am from the UK and would just add that you ought to have a warm cardigan or jumper with you

Emma :D

In the interest of total clarity, a "jumper" in Britain is a sweater. A "jumper" in the US is a sleeveless dress that is worn over a shirt or sweater.

Archived