Time needed to go thru Hemingway, Butterfly place,Pirates Soul? Also cab info?

samfine

Can anyone tell me on the average how long to alot for Hemingway House, Butterfly Conservatory, and Pirates Soul?

We will be in port from 7 til 2, and these places don't open til 9 am.

Also, what do you think the cab fare for two would be to the Butterfly Conservatory from the B pier? Would there be cabs outside these things to take us back?

Thanks for any info!!!!!

The Butterfly Conservatory and the Pirate Soul museum are self-guided, so you can spend as much or as little time in each as your interests dictate. The Hemingway museum is led by a tour guide. I'm thinking it took us about forty minutes. There is also time allotted to look around in the book shop. You could leave earlier if you aren't interested in that.

Maybe just as a rough estimate allow thirty to forty minutes for each venue. Then you need to allow time for getting to each venue. I think four hours will be more than enough time to do it all at a leisurely pace, but I don't know what transportation you have or if you are walking. I also don't know how much time you actually have.

Simonton, Duval, and Whitehead Streets parallel each other and are about 1.25 miles long. If you walk off the docks and across Front Street you pick up Whitehead where Hemingway's House is at 907, nine blocks. Then, when you are done there, you might as well continue north on Whitehead to the end to see the Southernmost Point. Then walk the one block back to Duval on South Street and head south on Duval, back towards the docks. The Butterfly Conservatory is about two blocks away on the left. Finally continue south on Duval back to Front Street where you make a right and the Pirate Museum is two more blocks.

There is a small coupon book available arouund the island which has a $1.00 off one for the pirate museum and the butterfly conservatory. And if you stop at the Trolley Tour window across from the Wrecker's Museum, you can save $1.00 by booking the Hem House there.

Pjk

• 3 weeks later...

Hemmingway house took us a little over an hour, but we spent a lot of time wondering around. The cats are very friendly and my friend wanted to pet every cat that was in reach! So if you're not attacking cats, it could be done in 40 minutes. :)

Have fun!

Unless your teenager is a real history buff, or planning on majoring in American Lit in college, then Hemingway House will probably not be terribly interesting to them. But right across the street is the lighthouse and they probably would like climbing to the top of that and seeing the view of the island from their.

The Pirate Soul museum probably would be interesting to teenagers, both boys and girls.

Is it something to do with teenagers?

My 18 year old engineering major was with us who hates lit/history and I was very surprised to hear him say he enjoyed the tour though he had thought ahead of time that he wouldn't!

Archived