Bringing wine on board-logistics?

Shelle2

Our son just went on AOS out of San Juan, he had a case of wine in a checked wine suitcase (which we have taken on many, many cruises without problems), they took all of the wine out except one bottle and would not give it back to them not even at the end of the cruise. We call this stealing!

NCL, RCCL - No WAY!

Carnival - Probably Not, but ya never know.

Celebrity - As long as its in your luggage, you could bring a still!

HAL - No problems and you are allowed to bring as much wine on as you like.

Princess - Our 1 bottle of luggage scotch was confiscated (which we didn't know yet), so when we walked off the ship in San Juan, went to the liquor store in the terminal and bought some scotch and my favorite gin and vodka, we didn't think anything about it. All brought on board no prob. Got the Ca'oila back about 10 am on St. Thomas day. Spent some time in San Juan post cruise, so we enjoyed it anyway......

That's it for my knowledge.

Rainman - Wow - well, we have been very lucky on RCCL - lol! But, we have never taken hard liquor - only wine and beer. We are going on the MOS in the fall out of LA - guess we won't be bringing more than our one bottle of wine each - at least I think that they are still allowing you one bottle of wine each - lol - I have been concentrating more on our upcoming Princess cruise so forgive me if I have the different cruiseline policies mixed up. We will take a few bottles in our hand luggage on Princess. I no longer want to put any in the checked bags as after the cruiselines have damaged a couple of our bags - I would hate to see what would happen to a bottle of wine in the case!:eek:

Canuck

For Canuck Cruiser - for your upcoming RCCL MOS cruise, I think you will find if you check the RCCL boards here at CC that RCCL does not allow ANY alcohol to be brought on board - not even wine - not even if you offer to pay a corkage fee. RCCL is very strict on alcohol...

Just do not want you to be disappointed...

LuvTheGoodLife - Thanks for the tip! I normally read both boards all the time but I haven't been able to keep up lately having to do so much port research for our upcoming CB cruise! I always check the current scoop on everything before we cruise!:D

Cheers!

Canuck

We cruised out of FLL on March 21st on the Ruby. I carried on 6 bottles of wine in a wine bag from our local grocery store. No one even looked at it (besides the port security when I put it through the X ray machine) Both of my brothers-in -law carried on 8 bottles each, again with no problem. We regularly brought 3-4 bottles of wine to dinner each evening and just paid the corkage fee with no questions asked.

Just keep in mind that it could take 24-48 hours to chill wine that isn't already cooled, they aren't super frigs, but just minis. Enjoy!

You can also take your bottle of wine to the dining room early in the day and ask them to chill it for you. They'll mark your cabin number on the bottle - then, just mention to your waiter when you go to dinner that you brought your wine in earlier.

Yes RCCI has the tightest wine policy. None to be brought on and no corkage fee. I have heard of a few bottles getting through to be drunk in the cabin but not in the dining room.

NCL allows wine to be carried on and pay the corkage fee when boarding. That's reasonable to me. then you can drink you wine where ever you like to. Of Cource, Princess, HAL, Disney, Oceania and Carnival have the best wine policy/enforcements anywhere.

RCI is off our list. Last time we cruised them we did not carry on wine, played by their rules. We bought the wine package of which only two wines were a deal compared to the by the bottle prices they offer. They ran out of one the second time we ordered it and did not replace it in the package. Not an enjoyable experience.

We've had no problem taking wine on Princess ships before. It was easier when you could pack it and fly with it, for sure. Pack well, and plan on building muscles or having a rolling bag of some kind. We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess in May, flying in on Sunday and the ship leaves on Sunday. Does anyone know if you can buy wine in P. R. on Sunday and is there a wine store near the pier?

• 2 weeks later...

Hit or miss on RCI. My husband had a bottle of room in his suitcase and it was not confiscated. I had 6 of the single serve wines in mine - each wrapped in a different piece of clothing and they got everyone. They totally had to unpack my suitcase and repack it again! I am looking at Princess for my next cruise even if they only allow 2 bottles as they list in their official handbook

I am leaving Friday on the Star out of San Francisco. Prior to leaving, I am placing on online order for a case of wine from BevMo. As someone already stated, BevMo has styrofoam packers -- I confirmed with the store directly. So BevMo will pack the wine for shipping. We plan to place a luggage tag on the box and give it to the porters with some extra tip money! :D

Total Wine is about three blocks from the 17th Street entrance to the port. That entrance is closest to pier 2 which is where Princess docks. We have never had any difficulty carrying wine on board although I do not usually bring a case. I do pack several bottles in my carry-on tote. Also, Total Wine sells a six bottle carry tote for $2. ( My corkscrew is packed in my checked luggage.

We are sailing from New York in August and I plan on bringing 3 or 4 bottles aboard.

Have a great cruise!

Our family is taking our first Princess Cruise next week and have some wine questions. Based on what I've seen, Princess has very reasonable wine prices but a somewhat limited selection. We are thinking about pre-ordering some wine from Total Wine and picking it up before we board the ship. I heard the store isn't to far from Port Everglades. Has anyone ever done this? We are thinking about bringing several bottles of wine and a couple of bottles of champagne. I'm not sure how to bring it on board. I'm assuming the cardboard wine box isn't a great idea. Any suggestions?

Is the cabin refrigerator big enough to chill a full-size bottle? I'm assuming the room steward can bring us glasses. We plan on packing a corksrew.

I know we will pay corkage fees in the dining rooms and don't mind.

A huge thank you to everyone for participating in these boards. I'm not sure how I'd plan without them!

We just sailed the Crown this past week and had no problem bring 8 bottles of wine on board with us. We called room service every day and requested an ice bucket and glasses. The wine fits in the refrig nicely. We always carried a Princess Cocktail napkin with us and brought our wine into the shows and dinner with us. It was nice to enjoy your own bottles.

We are taking the Island out of Whittier in June. Has anyone bought any wine there? Their stores are VERY limited I know, but how about wine? Fortunately, I'm not really fussy.lol:cool:

If you are driving in Anchorage, there are liquor stores next to some of the grocery stores - I'm thinking of Carr's on Huffman. There is also Costco.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Princess's current policy on wine was that you are welcome to bring it on board. However, if you plan to consume it anywhere besides in your room, you will be charged a $15 corkage fee per bottle.

I wasn't under the impression they had any rule limiting you from taking any on-board, nor that they would try to confiscate it.

Is this correct?

Since u cannot bring wine on airplane carryon,do u guys think it safe to bubble wrap 2 bottles,wrap that with duck tape and pad around in a spare bag? or not worth the risk of breaking>?:eek:

We just got off the crown a couple of weeks ago and had a laugh because someone during embark. had 3 or 4 cases of Arbor Mist on a dolly that they were using as carry on. That just made me giggle a little, of course knowing that we were about to board may have had something to do with my happiness.

Archived