Any idea what cruiselines for 2011

goat rancher

We've noticed that there has a been a big cutback on cruiseships based in Tahiti...and not really sure where this trend is going to go...

Does anyone have any idea what cruise ships will be offering Tahiti cruises in 2011...specifically Jan-March timeframe...10-14 days...either entirely among the islands or from Tahiti to Hawaii...

We were hoping for Princess, but noticed they are down to Fall 2009 and then no word as to any future....I don't think we can afford Paul Gauguin, so if that is the main/only choice, we are going to be out of luck :(

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any way you can get away for 30 to 33 days? We did the HAL Ryndam 30 day round trip from San Diego Jan. 4, 2009 that went to Hawaii and Tahiti. It was a great cruise. The HAL Rotterdam is doing this cruise, 33 days Jan. 4, 2010, and March 8, 2010. I would guess they will also be doing 2011, but the schedules are not out yet.

I used to think I could not afford the PG - however you can now book for 2010 with FREE AIR. Also there are no extra charges for wine at dinner and no tips. If you book the cheapest cabin it really is no more $$$ than some of the better cabins on other ships.

If you want to go to Tahiti - go to Tahiti and don't take a passing cruise that gives you 3 days. That's okay if you want a taste (I did in 2002).

Larry

PG 1/16/2010

I am also interested in what will be available in the January to March 2011 time-frame. Of the cruise lines in the South Pacific for 2009, Princess is the most compatible with my budget. I hope that they will continue the 10-day round trips out of Papeete in 2011.

I've also like some of the one-way cruises involving Sydney or Honolulu. But, the one things I've noticed is the international air-fare can be really high if you don't fly a round-trip out of the same destination. For example, a one-way airfare between LAX and Tahiti (PPT) is more expensive than a LAX-PPT round-trip.

Paul Gauguin, Aranui 3, and the Star Clippers also have very interesting itineraries in 2009. But their prices are a bit dear for me. I'll just have to wait and see what's available in 2011 and at what price.

• 2 weeks later...

Princess will be sailing 21 FP cruises in the Sept 2010 to May 2011 season.

From http://www.princess.com/news/article...ticleId=na1020

Princess' 2010-11 worldwide cruise program includes:

Royal Princess to Tahiti and Hawaii -- Royal Princess will offer an extended seven-month season sailing among the islands of the South Pacific tropical paradise. The ship will sail on 13 cruises on a 10-day Tahiti & Polynesia itinerary featuring Princess' two-day experience in Bora Bora, an overnight stay in Tahiti (Papeete) and calls at Huahine, Rangiroa, Raiatea, and Moorea. The ship also sails on eight 12-day Hawaii & Tahiti voyages between Honolulu and Tahiti (Papeete), calling at Moorea, Raiatea, Bora Bora, Hilo, Maui (Lahaina), and Kauai (Nawiliwili). In addition, passengers can enjoy sailing the Pacific between Vancouver and Honolulu (or extend to Tahiti) on two 10-day journeys to Hilo, Kona, Maui (Lahaina), and Kauai (Nawiliwili). Royal Princess will sail in the region from September 14, 2010 to May 8, 2011.

Exotic cruises are available for booking on May 21, 2009

• 2 weeks later...
Is there any way you can get away for 30 to 33 days? We did the HAL Ryndam 30 day round trip from San Diego Jan. 4, 2009 that went to Hawaii and Tahiti. It was a great cruise. The HAL Rotterdam is doing this cruise, 33 days Jan. 4, 2010, and March 8, 2010. I would guess they will also be doing 2011, but the schedules are not out yet.

Hi Debshomespun,

I am also interested in the 33 day RT San Diego.South Pacific route. I called HAL, and the representative I spoke with said that the itinerary for 2011 should be out the end of June.

When you cruised on 1/09 did they vary the menu? What about the entertainment? Were there any enrichment lecturers re culture and marine life of the region?

This would be the longest cruise I've ever been on. Did you pack for 1 week and do laundry? I can't see any way around that! Yikes!

Rose-Ann

Hi Debshomespun,

I am also interested in the 33 day RT San Diego.South Pacific route. I called HAL, and the representative I spoke with said that the itinerary for 2011 should be out the end of June.

When you cruised on 1/09 did they vary the menu? What about the entertainment? Were there any enrichment lecturers re culture and marine life of the region?

This would be the longest cruise I've ever been on. Did you pack for 1 week and do laundry? I can't see any way around that! Yikes!

Rose-Ann

Rose-Ann--Yes, they did vary the menu. There were things that were on the menu twice, but there was always a variety of items. I don't think they had the exact menu repeat any night. The entertainment was very good. We had the HAL dancers, a ventriloquist, a puppeteer, just to name a few. Alot of the entertainers got off in Tahiti, and we got some new ones on then. They never had the same show repeated. The HAL dancers did I think 3 different shows during the whole cruise. There were lecturers, about stargazing, and the islands. The stargazer had a couple nights where everyone all met at maybe 10:00PM to look at the stars. We went out one of the nights in the South Pacific. I've never seen so many stars, and they seemed so close, you could almost reach out and touch them.

I probably packed for about 10 plus days. We each (DH & myself) about 15 pr. undies, and I had 5 or 6 swimsuits, and DH had about 6 pr swimtrunks. I did wash out some things in the sink, and hung on the clothes line in the tub (I brought about 6 clothpins). We did laundry once, about halfway through. Many things you can wear a couple times before they need laundered. On the sea days (17 of them total for us, there were 5 that we didn't sunbathe) we would lay around the outside pool and relax. Also had a pair of jeans, and couple sweatshirts, for the chilly nights, moreso at the beginning and end of the cruise. We had fantastic weather. First 2 days @sea, and last 2 were chilly. We only had 1 other day @sea with rainy weather. All our other days were wonderful. One morning in Raiatea, it was rainy, but did clear up quick.

In Hawaii, (i think Hilo) there were some Hula dancers from the island that came on and did a show. Also, in Raiatea, there were the "children of raiatea" that came on to do a show just before we left port. Also, in Tahiti, that evening, there were french polynesian dancers that did a show on the ship (can't remember the time), and they were all very very good! Try not to miss these shows. Also, the ship had a movie theatre, and we went to watch a couple movies. After I made the reservations, I started to have second thoughts about being away for so long. I am so very glad we did the cruise. We loved every minute of it. Never got bored. Had a wonderful time, and can't wait to go back and do it again.

Here is a link to our pictures from the trip:

http://community.webshots.com/user/debshomespun5229

Hope you enjoy the pictures, and if you have any other questions, let me know. You can also email me at debshomespun @ hotmail . com, all smooshed together, and put Ryndam 30 day cruise in the subject line.

• 2 weeks later...

Rose-Ann, as Deb has said that is a wonderful cruise and itinerary. In March 10' they added 3 new island stops. Fanning Island, Raratonga and Rangiroa. We are so looking forward to these new ports. We have done this cruise three times and will do our fourth in March 2010.

The link to our photos is posted in the sig

Archived