Alcohol - Product of USVI

Frank12

According to customs regulations, On a Virgin Islands cruise one of your 5 liters of duty free alcohol must be a product of the US Virgin Islands.

Can anyone tell me what products are made in the USVI?

Thanks.

That's an interesting question, and it may be more complicated than one would think.

Yes, Cruzan rum is made in St Croix, so it's definitely a VI product.

BUT, I see a Paradise Rum that says it's "100% Virgin Islands rum" but it's bottled in NY. It probably qualifies.

A.H. Riise has their own line of rum, which probably qualifies, and now Blackbeard's Castle is making rum in their Rum Factory, so that should also qualify. It says on the label "Made in St Thomas."

I think those are the only ones now.

Havensight Liqueur has a unique taste, sweeter than bourbon. Supreme Liquors at Crown Bay carries it as does Dazzlers & Dynasty, both downtown & the Havensight Mall. AH Rise does NOT carry it. We buy a 3 or 4 bottles on each visit to St Thomas.:)

We're about to go on an eastern cruise visiting St. Thomas, St. Martin, and Nassau. How many liters should we be allowed to carry back duty-free? And do most of you buy your stuff off the ship, or just stick with the onboard shop? In the past, I have found their prices onboard to be very, very good, and less hassle too since they box it up and deliver it to your room for you. Any tips?

We're about to go on an eastern cruise visiting St. Thomas, St. Martin, and Nassau. How many liters should we be allowed to carry back duty-free? And do most of you buy your stuff off the ship, or just stick with the onboard shop? In the past, I have found their prices onboard to be very, very good, and less hassle too since they box it up and deliver it to your room for you. Any tips?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=931666

From what I've read on this thread, St Martin prices will beat the ships by a mile.

Havensight Liqueur has a unique taste, sweeter than bourbon. Supreme Liquors at Crown Bay carries it as does Dazzlers & Dynasty, both downtown & the Havensight Mall. AH Rise does NOT carry it. We buy a 3 or 4 bottles on each visit to St Thomas.:)

How do you drink it? Straight, with mixers or both? If you mix it, what with? Thanks.

Thanks for the replies.

Not so sure about Southern Comfort. It was invented in New Orleans and I'm pretty sure the current distillery is in Kentucky.

I've always bought it on St. Thomas and they've always said it was bottled locally. Even frommers dot com mentions it as being bottled in the Virgin Islands! I was surprised by it because I thought it was only bottled in the states too.

• 2 weeks later...
is of a lower proof and has more sugar to it. Cruzan Reserva and 5 yr old are full bodied rums. Bought them at Supreme at Crown Bay but should be available at Riise or Dynasty in Havensite.

Sounds good. I like rum, but not the flavored Cruzan. I think I'll give the 5yr old a try!:)

Archived