Shape Wear

sotadragon

I have tried searching for a thread on this topic in this forum, but I came up empty.

What do you ladies think of the shaping undergarments? I am a little concerned about the legs of them being slightly visible under some of my shorter dresses. Do you think this is really a faux pas? Even if the undergarment is black and the dress is black and a little "sportier"? I'm not talking about a whole lot of the leg being visible, I mean an inch or less. Please help! :eek:

Are you concerned about the "shapewear" being visible under a dress??? If so, then I certainly would not wear it. And frankly, I've tried on the "spanx" items, (only because I was curious) and they left me looking like a sausage in a casing. And I'm a size 6/8.

I think these things are horrible, and do nothing to flatter anyone. Not sure why anyone wears them really.

The most common reason a person would have trouble with Spanx is if they buy them too small. None of those sausage thingys are going to make you look like you lost a ton of weight. What they do do is smooth and therefore give a more streamlined look. Buy them too small and they will do the opposite. By the way Spanx has added a new style that goes way past the waist and ends under the bust.

I have tried searching for a thread on this topic in this forum, but I came up empty.

What do you ladies think of the shaping undergarments? I am a little concerned about the legs of them being slightly visible under some of my shorter dresses. Do you think this is really a faux pas? Even if the undergarment is black and the dress is black and a little "sportier"? I'm not talking about a whole lot of the leg being visible, I mean an inch or less. Please help! :eek:

No undergarment should stick out or hang below your dress! It would take away from the overall effect you are trying to achieve by wearing the shapewear in the first place. Undergarments are just that "UNDER" garments. :D

Thanks, Ladies! :) I figured out about the sizing problem a lot of women have with this type of undergarment because I bought what should have fit me just fine and it was one size too small. Bleah, to say the least. :eek: But I have the correct size now (does NOT make me look like a sausage, thank God! :p) and I also figured out that the length of the leg is adjustable enough that I will have no problem hiding them under even the shortest dress I'm bringing, which is about 4-5 inches above the knee. And what I bought is supposed to come up about 4 inches below the bustline, but with my short rise it comes right up to the bustline, NO WAISTLINE ROLLS! :D

Target offers two lines that are way cheaper than Spanx--a variety of colors, leg lengths, and waistline heights. One is Hanes. Look by the pantyhose and by the other shapers--found them in two locations in the store, a different range of offerings in each place.

Esther, now you have an undergarment that FITS you will have a nice smooth shape. I meant to add in my last post that those SPANX (and other makes too) that fit under the bust, are usually pretty long. I am 5'6" with a relatively long torso and they could do with being an inch or so shorter on me. So try them on, before you buy, especially if you are short. In fact that is what I would recommend with any sausage thingy. Size means nothing how it FITS is paramount, but that goes with any piece of clothing.

Have a great vacation.

I love Spanx, and I'm a size 4/6. They give a nice smooth line under just about anything (except perhaps a bikini!) and give the perfect amount of "holding in". They're much more comfortable than even control top panty hose. You can get them brand new for a great price on E-Bay, just search for NWT (new with tags) Spanx. I've gotten two pair for about $12.50 each, about half of what they would cost in a department store or from the website.

I love Spanx, and I'm a size 4/6. They give a nice smooth line under just about anything (except perhaps a bikini!) and give the perfect amount of "holding in". They're much more comfortable than even control top panty hose. You can get them brand new for a great price on E-Bay, just search for NWT (new with tags) Spanx. I've gotten two pair for about $12.50 each, about half of what they would cost in a department store or from the website.

Thanks for the tip! I probably can't get anything before this next cruise, but maybe for the one after that. :)

Seagulls, you are very right about that!

• 1 year later...

And Lane Bryant and Catherines are suppose to carry the Spanx. I bought mine off Ebay once I knew what I wanted and the size I did a search. I did a BIN and how it still got it for a fraction of the cost of buying it retail. I bought a size E and don't feel uncomfortable at all.

Archived