Anyone on Voyager 5/1/05

aljen

I was wondering if anyone knows how RCCS gets us to Funchal ? Do they do commercial airlines all the way or is there perhaps a charter ? Do you go a day early and overnight there ? We will be leaving out of SF Ca. Any feedback would be great !

Yes, Yes, I'm going! I've been trying to find anyone else going on this cruise. I did connect with one other person in here, but the problem is that there isn't a "roll call" board for RSSC, so our roll calls go into the dreaded "other lines" oblivion. ;)

Anyway, unfortunately I can't answer your question about RSSC flights, because I booked my own air travel. I found it to be much less expensive this way (although that's not always true with RSSC, unlike most other lines). I do know that they use commercial airlines, not a charter.

If you are interested in booking your own flights, there is lots of info I can give you on my experience. Apparently it's quite a hassle to get to Funchal! Many flights require you to make difficult connections that either change airlines, change AIRPORTS (!), or both. My flight ended up being both -- our connection in Paris requires changing from Delta to TAP Air Portugal, and changes airports as well, arriving CDG and departing from Orly. And we are responsible for transporting ourselves and our luggage to Orly. What a pain. I wish I'd done more research into this before I bought our non-refundable tickets.

Regarding when to fly in, we've decided to actually arrive two days early, so that we can have time to recover from jet lag, and have some time to explore Funchal. But I would definitely advise you to arrive at least one day early. I've been hearing that flights into Funchal can be inconsistant, and if you miss a connection or experience a delay, you will want to have that day for a buffer.

If you'd like any further info, such as where to stay (if you're not going to book through RSSC), let me know.

LeeAnne

Hello!

Yes, we too, are going on that cruise. We have made our own plane reservations from Lisbon to Madeira on TAP Airlines. We fly there on the

29th of April. We want to have time to see some of the area before the

cruise. We live near you....Walnut Creek, CA!

This is the first note I've replied to ...so I hope it works!

Hello la mer! I haven't been able to reply in a couple days (too busy) but I did want to say -- welcome! Let's keep in touch. There are now three of us in this board who are on this cruise.

I live in Thousand Oaks, not exactly close to you and aljen, but it's still Cal-ee-for-nee-ah! ;)

I've been considering some private guides in certain ports, which is usually better and less expensive than the shore excursions -- interested in discussing joining us to get a better deal for less?

LeeAnne

Never actually been to Lisbon -- this will be my first time. Most of my time in Europe has been spent in Italy, with a lesser amount in Paris and Germany. In fact, all of the ports on this cruise except the Italy ones are new places for me. And even Portofino is new -- one of the few spots in Italy I HAVEN'T been to!

I've got some research on private guide options at my office -- I'll post something on Monday. Oh, and I was wrong -- there are actually four of us from this board on this cruise:

Leejnd4

La mer

Aljen

Kimiata

Any more out there? Join in! :)

LeeAnne

RSSC contracts primarily with TAP (Air Portugal) from Newark with a connection in Lisbon for the international portion. TAP does a reasonably good job, but if you can upgrade to business class, by all means do it. You'll save a lot of time waiting in line and really appreciate their airport lounge and other services if there are delays. When I checked, RSSC was not able to book on non-contracted airlines so they should be able to give relatively specific information at the time of booking. They'll use any one of a variety of carriers to get you to Newark, depending on your departure city.

BE SURE TO HAVE THEM CHECK YOUR BAG ALL THE WAY THROUGH TO FUNCHAL! They may say they can't, but if you are insistent, they absolutely can! I emphasize that because if you don't, you'll have to claim your bag in Lisbon, go through customs, and recheck it...a real hassle especially if it is a tight connection. If it is checked through, you go directly to the gate and the bags will go straight through to Funchal. I posted rather extensive information on another list that you may want to check out. Otherwise, feel free to backchannel me for specifics. I've made so many trips on this itinerary over the past year and a half, that I could do it in my sleep.

Because you are booking one-way, it may be easier and far less expensive to let RSSC book you. Some of the carriers have become reluctant to sell one-way tickets. Never a problem before, but I had to document my cruise information to be included in the reservation before I could book one-way to London (connecting on a separate ticket to Funchal) in October.

I would strongly recommend that you go into Funchal at least two days early. This is a grueling trip and you will want at least a day to rest...and at least one day to explore Funchal and the island. There are several very good websites providing information on Madeira to help you plan your tours. Since it is so difficult to get to, it's worth exploring while you are there!

There are a number of very nice hotels in Lisbon. My favorite is the Avenida Palace, on a main square at the train station. Very convenient location! It has been very nicely renovated, retaining the old world feel. Splurge on a junior suite if you can! But it is imperative to book early as it is frequently sold out.

The Four Seasons is expensive, but beautiful, with large rooms, balconies, and luxurious, oversized bathrooms. Buses and underground are only a block or two away, but it is an uphill climb back to the hotel. There is a pleasant family-style Italian restaurant within walking distance that we always enjoy. Can't remember the name, but if you are interested, email me backchannel. Otherwise, hotel dining is quite pricey, especially with the weak dollar.

Lisboa Plaza is closer in and very pleasant. The rooms are small, but more than adequate. It's an easy walk to the main shopping area and restaurants.

The Radisson near the airport is very friendly. We always overnight there on the return from Funchal, and they always manage to upgrade us to a suite or large junior suite. They have a decent restaurant with a good selection of traditional Portugese foods, and there is also a friendly casual Chinese restaurant in the hotel complex. The hotel is very close to the underground connection to downtown and only minutes from the airport (with a complimentary shuttle to...but not from...the airport) .

These would be my first choices, but there are also some luxurious small hotels and most of the major chainsare represented as well.

We will be sailing with you. We live in NY and will be leaving from Newark on Continental, connecting to TAP in Lisbon to Madeira. Continental flies back non-stop from Rome. Definitely try to leave a day or two early to enjoy Madeira which is beautiful this time of year.

Welcome! Now there are several of us in CC who are on this cruise. I'm going to open up a roll call thread on the roll-call board, hopefully we'll all go there and chat, and perhaps make some plans.

Meanwhile, I'm still searching for anyone who wants to join us on a private tour from Monte Carlo - we have Michel Legrand of Revelation Tours, who comes VERY highly recommended, reserved, with a van that seats 8. We can't afford it on our own, so we'd love to share! Interested?

LeeAnne

RSSC contracts primarily with TAP (Air Portugal) from Newark with a connection in Lisbon for the international portion. TAP does a reasonably good job, but if you can upgrade to business class, by all means do it. You'll save a lot of time waiting in line and really appreciate their airport lounge and other services if there are delays. When I checked, RSSC was not able to book on non-contracted airlines so they should be able to give relatively specific information at the time of booking. They'll use any one of a variety of carriers to get you to Newark, depending on your departure city.

BE SURE TO HAVE THEM CHECK YOUR BAG ALL THE WAY THROUGH TO FUNCHAL! They may say they can't, but if you are insistent, they absolutely can! I emphasize that because if you don't, you'll have to claim your bag in Lisbon, go through customs, and recheck it...a real hassle especially if it is a tight connection. If it is checked through, you go directly to the gate and the bags will go straight through to Funchal. I posted rather extensive information on another list that you may want to check out. Otherwise, feel free to backchannel me for specifics. I've made so many trips on this itinerary over the past year and a half, that I could do it in my sleep.

Because you are booking one-way, it may be easier and far less expensive to let RSSC book you. Some of the carriers have become reluctant to sell one-way tickets. Never a problem before, but I had to document my cruise information to be included in the reservation before I could book one-way to London (connecting on a separate ticket to Funchal) in October.

I would strongly recommend that you go into Funchal at least two days early. This is a grueling trip and you will want at least a day to rest...and at least one day to explore Funchal and the island. There are several very good websites providing information on Madeira to help you plan your tours. Since it is so difficult to get to, it's worth exploring while you are there!

Thank you! I'm not sure this is how to reply!

We are also on this cruise.

I would recommend spending a couple of days in Madeira.

Funchal is easy to walk around.There are several things one can do independently,eg visits to Blandy's Wine Lodge,the (undercover) fish market,the Cathedral,and now the cable car offers a direct link ,Monte,and the Monte Palace Gardens.The sledge trip is great fun,and gets the adrenaline flowing.

The are several excellent hotels in Funchal,and we have always enjoyed our stay at the Savoy.

Welcome English Voyager! Come visit the roll call thread for this cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=108169

We're coming into Funchal two days early, staying at the Best Western Hotel Estrelicia. Not the most luxurious place, but we were looking for something affordable, and this place was only 44 Eu per night. It looks perfectly fine if somewhat basic.

We're still debating what we're going to do in terms of sightseeing in Funchal. I'd definitely like to do the sledge trip! Mainly, we want to be sure we over our jet lag before the cruise starts. :)

LeeAnne

LeeAnne

We are also on this cruise. Can't wait to see Funchal. We are arriving there 2 days early. We are from the San Jose, Ca area. It does not look like too much of a problem to get to the ship in Funchal. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, we've never been to Rome and are planning on staying there for 3 nights after the cruise. Is it hard to get to Rome from the port? Thanks for your help!:)

Wow, a real cc group is getting together for this cruise! See, Lee Anne, keep asking and you just never know! Some of my best times on ships were getting together with other cc posters aboard. I hope you will arrange a get together for sail away. It is a nice way to meet everyone, and perhaps get some dinners going together for those who wish to dine with others. Also cc is a great place to organize private tours beforehand. They are so much better than getting on a big coach, and wait and wait through the day and sometimes they are less costly than the ship's tours. I try to look at the itinerary for the ship's excursions, and combine the things I think I'll like. Or the guides also have very definite opinions on what cruisers like to see, and they will design an itinerary for you any way you like. The important thing is getting one who has been recommended here or on other boards from people with actual experience. Looks like Lee Anne has done homework on that!

Ssimba95 -- welcome! I've begun a thread over in the roll-call forum for this cruise. Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=108169

If you go check that out, you'll see a few others who are on this cruise too. Also, I'm searching for anyone who might be interested in joining us on a private tour for our day in Monte Carlo, with a VERY highly recommended tour guide. We currently have two couples, and are looking for two more to spread the cost. It will be wonderful, trust me!

Also, I've been doing lots of research into the various ports, and would be happy to share it with you. It might be better if we do it in that thread, so any others who might be on this cruise can join in the discussion.

Again, welcome! :)

LeeAnne

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza last time we were in Funchal. It was brand new at the time and prices were reasonable. We were taking a Radisson cruise on the Navigator. The most exciting thing was when we woke up early in the morning on the day of our cruise we looked out our hotel window and saw the ship all lit up, waiting to come into the port. It was as if our private yacht was coming to pick us up. The ship had come across the Atlantic, as it will be doing this time also.

Archived