St. Lucia ... what to do??

bhughey

We aren't sure what to do in St. Lucia? Usually, we like to rent our own car and tour the islands, but apparently the roads in St. Lucia are pretty scary... we also looked into a land and sea kind of excursion, but it's a 7.5 hour tour that leaves at 7:30 in the morning... and we are not morning people, especially on vacation. So... what would you suggest? We love just hanging on the beach-- so a beach suggestion is always a good one! Thanks in advance!

Some roads are good, some are bad. If you could rent an off road vehicle I think you could go about anywhere. Obviously the beach at Anse Chastanet (resort) would be an excellent choice near the pitons and all, but I think most of the cruise ships stop at Castries which is a long ways away. I would contact the resort and see if they have any suggestions for getting to them for a day at their beach. We did a ships tour when we were there to visit waterfalls , and I wish we had taken one of the snorkeling boats to the pitons.

jc

We had a port day in St. Lucia a couple of years ago. We wanted to see the volcano (I had been to it as a small child). Taxis at the pier were too expensive, so we took a taxi into town for a couple of bucks, not sure what to do. We found that they had two cool markets, one with tourist stuff, and one across the street that was geared to the locals. We checked out both. The local market had nice little souvenir spice collections - pretty unique. We hooked up with a cab driver who was cheaper to hire than the ones at the pier, but still licensed and everything. (I think it was $20 each round trip to the volcano, which is great because it was an hour away). He stopped along the way so we could see a boa constrictor that his friend had caught, and pick a "wild" banana out of someone's banana orchard. The trick seemed to be to have plenty of small change and just let the driver suggest things, as most things involved a $1 or $2 tip or admission fee, and there is a bunch of stuff to see. The volcano itself was pretty neat, but really smelly, and you can't walk around in the caldera anymore since someone fell through the crust. All in all a good port, and less touristy than some others.

We were in St. Lucia last Nov. and a lot of the people went on the Caribbean Pirates Extravaganza. It is the actual ship used in the Disney movie, Pirates of the Caribbean. It left once in the am and once in the pm. They loved it.

Check it on the RCCL website under tours and see if it is for you.

When we were there last year this time a group from the ship went to Sandals and got a day pass that entitled you to everything the guest can do. We had a great time lounging on the beach, drinking and enjoying the scenery.

Are you on the Serenade Dec 11th -18th? Are you still interested in seeing the island?

We are doing a few hour tour with Frank that you are welcome to join in on. So far it is just the 2 of us (dh and I). I believe the tour ends up at the beach. You could probably stay at the beach longer.

Contact Frank at franktax@hotmail.com for details.

~Deena

We rented a car in St. Lucia, and it was quite an adventure! The driver's side is on the right, the clutch is to the driver's left, you drive on the left side of the road: So everything that could be askew, is! But once my husband got the hang of it (after a few attempts to drive on the "right" side)it was great! We drove down to the Pitons, to a resort that I remember as maybe a Hyatt?? situated in a bay between the two pitons. Absolutely beauiful. We feel that we really got to know that island best because to the driving. Whatever you choose, enjoy! The island is very beautiful, lush and green!

We did the Land and Sea to Soufriere and really enjoyed it -- really got to see a lot on the bus tour out (banana and coffee farms, drive-in volcano), fishing villages and the sail back was very relaxing. We stopped to snorkel -- lots of neat fish. There were four of us and none of us thought it was too long of a day.

We were in St. Lucia 2 years ago on the Norwegian Sky. Just did some shopping, a little touring in town. This time, on the Brilliance, we are booked on the Pirate cruise. It's the same ship that was featured in Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean". Our research tells us that's it's quite a lotta fun and you spend some of the time on a local beach (and rum punch!). What ever you do in St. Lucia, have a great time!

If you want a wonderful tour that will be the highlight of your cruise go on a tour with Frank!! Go to the St. Lucia board and you will read many testimonials about Frank and the tour he provides! We had a tour with Frank in October and it was Awesome! Plus he includes includes admission to the parks and he provides beer, rum punch(yummy),water and soft drinks! We were very thankful to have the drinks as places to get drinks are few and far between plus expensive! We snorkeled at Anste Chastenet and many of the taxi drivers won’t even go there! Anyone who has taken his tour will tell you there is no one like Frank!

I have talked to Frank twice since taking his tour. He called while we were on tour with Lawrence(another tour operator) in Antigua plus he called while I was at the airport to see if we’d arrived home safely!

Only a friend does things like that!

http://www.*****/

Archived