voltage nz / uk / aus appliances

astrocat

Kia Ora .. I posted a query in the ironing thread below but in an effort to be more specific, here goes.

I initially inquired about the power on board Summit and was told that it was the US system ... so consequently I planned to bring along my 'step up transformer' for use in the US with NZ and Australian equipment. It's quite a heavy beast but I've used it succesfully in the States many times.

I've now learnt of a note on the Celebrity website which says no transformers allowed which fills me with fear as my mobile phone and vid camera will surely need to be plugged in before the trips end.

Now I've confused myself even more by reading that in some situations, NZ / Aus / European equipment can be used / charged normally aboard ship WITHOUT need for transformer.

Can any Antipodean or UK travellers with experience on Celebrity help me please!

I'm not so worried about the different pins for the power plugs as I have some of those .. it's just that I want to know if I need the transformer itself?

Many many thanks!

Kia Ora .. I posted a query in the ironing thread below but in an effort to be more specific, here goes.

I initially inquired about the power on board Summit and was told that it was the US system ... so consequently I planned to bring along my 'step up transformer' for use in the US with NZ and Australian equipment. It's quite a heavy beast but I've used it succesfully in the States many times.

I've now learnt of a note on the Celebrity website which says no transformers allowed which fills me with fear as my mobile phone and vid camera will surely need to be plugged in before the trips end.

Now I've confused myself even more by reading that in some situations, NZ / Aus / European equipment can be used / charged normally aboard ship WITHOUT need for transformer.

Can any Antipodean or UK travellers with experience on Celebrity help me please!

I'm not so worried about the different pins for the power plugs as I have some of those .. it's just that I want to know if I need the transformer itself?

Many many thanks!

Your mobile phone and camera will NOT likely need a transformer, but rather just an adapter for the plug, which you can use. This is because most camera chargers and mobile phone chargers have a transformer built in. To determine whether yours does, look at the back of the plug (the transformer) for your charger. If it says 220 V, you CANNOT use it. If it says 110~220V, it will work fine without using your step up transformer.

This is generally just limited to a mobile phone charger and camera charger. It will not work with irons or more complex pieces of equipment.

I hope this helps.

You beauty! That's great, I've just checked the back of both chargers and they say 100 - 240 volts so all looks good and will save taking the rather bulky transformer.

So now I will just need the US plug with the different pin setting ...

My wife and I have sailed many times with Celebrity and Azamara, and have never had any problems in re-charging the batteries in our Australian-purchased cameras. All that we take with us is a simple adapter that allows us to plug our gear into the two-pin US power sockets.

Nevernever

Fantastic, thanks Nevernever!

I"m now rather regretting carrying the transformer to the US four times previously ... it seems I didn't need it after all as these items (and camera batteries) are all I ever charge!

Take a mulity box with you as well. That way you can plug phones, cameras etc into it using one power point. ( learned that from Cruise Critic) Last trip on Coral Princess we had one video camera, two digital cameras and a collection of three mobile phones. The only phone you have to check on is some types of Vodafone chargers but can't remember which ones as other people we have been with had trouble in the States charging their phones

Many many thanks!

On Summit, there are two sets of outlets near the desk. One set is 110v and fits a US style plug, and the other set is 220v and fits a two-round-prong European plug. So all you will need for your equipment is an adapter.

Lisa

Archived