Need help on which cruise please

Which cruise would you do?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which cruise would you do?

• 7 Day Victory out of San Juan (St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Kitts
    • 7 day Valor out of Miami (Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel)

I am planning a honeymoon for my fiancee and I and we would like to go on a cruise this upcomming Xmas. We were looking at 2 cruises and cant decide which on. She is a first time cruiser.

The first one leaves San Juan on the 20th of Dec on the Victory and it goes to St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Kitts. No sea days

The second one leaves from Miami on the Valor on the 20th as well. it goes to Grand Caymen, Roatan, Belize City, and Cozumel with 2 sea days.

I really like the first one the best, but my fiancee is worried about there being no sea days, and that she doesnt want to run around all day everyday. (she likes the beach and suntaning) My thinking is that there would probably be a couple stops that wont have much to do other than the beach.

Thoughts and comments are very much appreciative. Which of all the ports on both cruises is there not much to do other than beach and shop? She's not a snorkeller, so that might help you. We both like scenery, and architecture, and i love history and old things.

I forgot to mention that they are both 7 day, and that they are the same price approx.

First, congratulations on your upcoming wedding and the choice of a cruise for your honeymoon!! Wonderful!!

Next, regarding the itineraries... I LOVE my sea days so I'm a bit prejudiced.

Grand Cayman has one of the most amazing beaches I've ever seen... 7 Mile Beach and Coz is pretty much party central!!!

Which ever itinerary you choose I'm sure y'all will have a great time!!!

:)

Will be going to Coz soon and looking forward to the Ruins! I can say that on port days when you DON'T get off the ship you really get to enjoy the pools and decks and on sea days it is JAM PACKED...so let her know that more ports doesn't mean you have to leav the ship! Like you, I am thinking the beaches are there everywhere cruise ships stop!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

I really love the sea days so would suggest taking the Valor. I think that your fiance is correct about not wanting to run around everyday.

If you take the Victory, I've only been to St Thomas and it is beautiful. I would suggest either going to Megan's Bay or taking a ferry to St Marks and going to Trunk Bay. Trunk Bay has the most beautiful beach I've ever seen. It's well worth the boat ride.

I know you will enjoy either cruise.

Well, I really want to do the San Juan RT! For the second trip I have done practically the same itinerary but not on the Valor. I love having a sea day, then four stops, and then a sea day. I don't know about you, but I work my butt off before vacation (and if you guys are getting married I am sure you will be too) - so the first day you can relax, then you can be super active at the four stops, and then, rest back up on the last day before you vacation is over.

That said, you can just elect what days you are not going to get off. If you choose San Juan, be sure to post a review afterwards, I am hoping that a So Caribbean will be our next cruise to plan!:D

Valor is a newer and bigger ship. Airfare would have to be cheaper for you to Miami vs. San Juan. Plus I'm with your fiancee on this one...we've done 2 different 3-port itineraries and have been WIPED out by the end of the week. I'm scared to death of what kind of shape I'll be in after our 4 port cruise this fall. And as much as I'd love to do southern islands, there's NO way I'd do it having no sea days.

Congrats on your upcoming marriage!

I voted for the Victory out of San Juan. Those stops look amazing. And just because its a port day does not mean you have to be busy or running around. Some of the best port days can just be days you go to the beach and enjoy the beautiful island. And they do have some excursions that will take you to all inclusive beach resorts (or restaurant, etc) to have all you can drink (and sometimes eat) while being served laying on the beach.

You can't go wrong with either itinerary. We have been on the Western one and had a great time and would recommend the Cave Tubing in Belize and swimming with stingrays in Grand Cayman. (when we went, the ship stopped at Costa Maya instead of Roatan so the Mayan ruins were available, very interesting for those who like history)

But personally, I would rather relax at a beach than on the ship (I have come to the Caribbean for a reason). If you want some shiptime, then just hit a beach and come back to the ship early to relax before dinner.

The Southern Itinerary cannot be matched for scenery and is far more romantic. San Juan is a stop in itself with the rainforest, bioluminescent bay and historical walking tour of Old San Juan with a visit to the Fort. For relaxing, Antiqua is known as the land of 365 beaches, St. Kitts is mostly about beach, and there are no shortages of beaches on the other 4, but if you want to explore, this itinerary offers volcanos in St. Lucia, river tubing in Dominica, St. Thomas is known for it's shopping, etc.

Also, we have been to San Juan 3 times and did not have a problem with the airport. We also found it cheaper than to Miami for us ... go figure... Just go a day or two ahead and enjoy Puerto Rico.

I really like the first one the best, but my fiancee is worried about there being no sea days, and that she doesnt want to run around all day everyday. (she likes the beach and suntaning) My thinking is that there would probably be a couple stops that wont have much to do other than the beach.

You want to have a good start to your marriage? Whatever SHE prefers is what YOU prefer! :D

With that said, go with the Valor. Here are a few things:

• Sea Days: YES you will be happy to have them! IF you're getting married and flying down for your honeymoon right away, you will start your honeymoon EXHAUSTED (trust me, voice of experience here!). Sea Days will give you the chance to sleep in, relax, and not have to worry about what you might be missing ashore.

• The Ship: Although the Victory and the Valor are almost identical, the Valor IS a newer and slightly larger ship. You'll get a couple extra bars, plus a minibar/refrigerator in your cabin. (By the way, the theme throughout the Victory is the seven seas, on the Valor is American heroes)

• Itinerary: A big misconception when doing the islands of the Southern Caribbean out of San Juan is that all the islands are the same. Skipping one island to stay at the ship's pool is almost sinful in my opinion! All these islands are different. One day you're in "shopper friendly" St. Thomas. The next day you're in a rainforest looking at a waterfall in the nature lover's paradise which Dominica is. The following day you're exploring caverns in British Barbados. IF you pick the Southern, do so because you want to explore all these places. Don't do so thinking that you're going to skip some islands. It might be hard to resist any of them once you finally find yourself docked there with the island staring at your face!

• Airfare: Although San Juan is served by most major US airlines, including low cost carriers like JetBlue, AirTran and Spirit, airfare tends to be somewhat more expensive than flying to Miami, although you might be surprised to find an awesome deal to San Juan! I don't think that at the present time, any Canadian airlines fly to San Juan...

With all of this said, I DO love the Southern Caribbean out of San Juan. My first few cruises were on these seven night itineraries, and they are absolutely WONDERFUL! However, it's a hectic vacation and from what you wrote, your future wife has other plans in mind. I would definitely do it, but not for a honeymoon! :)

Hope this is helpful!

Hey, guy. Who wears the pants in your family? You're not even married yet and you're already whipped? Make a decision, and stick by it.

This piece of advice sounds great when a bunch of guys are sitting around drinking some beers, but when reality hits, the OP will be VERY happy to go with what his future wife wants!

Sincerely,

A Non-whipped husband who knows what's best for him.... :D

We have sailed both the Southern route out of San Juan (Adventure of the Seas) and the Western route out of Tampa and Miami. The Western route is much more relaxing and will give you a chance to rest and relax. Doesn't sound like your bride wants to spend all of her time running. So I vote for that. You can always do the Southern route for your anniversary!

Archived