Crown Princess Transatlantic Northern Route

travelscot

I note a number of comments regarding the "Rock and Roll" of the Crown Princess and how it is annoying to some and causes sea sickness in others.

We are booked on a TA taking in Norway, Iceland and Greenland etc and wonder if the weather in the North Atlantic in September will make the trip less than enjoyable if the ship is more unstable than usual. From the comments I have read most people dont seem to think it is too bad just a wee bit uncomfortable???

I would be please to hear other peoples opinion.

Alex:):)

Very difficult to predict sea state and weather.

We did similar crossing, on the former Royal Princess (now P&O's Artemis) in late Aug 98, and it was smooth until leaving Greenland and coming South along Newfoundland's coastline, where there was noticeable chop and swell. The Royal Princess had a liner-like hull, and rode fairly well.

We did another crossing, Venice to New York City, Aug 02, on Golden Princess and it was very rough West of the Azores, where we ran into a couple of Atlantic storms. The Golden Princess has the same hull form as Crown Princess, and did not take well to heavy seas.

I did the Sept 2007 TA on the Grand Princess. Fantastic trip, one of my favorites and would repeat in a minute. That said we had several very rough days, then we hit a hurricane after sailing from Greenland. REALLY rough for a couple for days then.

I note a number of comments regarding the "Rock and Roll" of the Crown Princess and how it is annoying to some and causes sea sickness in others.

We are booked on a TA taking in Norway, Iceland and Greenland etc and wonder if the weather in the North Atlantic in September will make the trip less than enjoyable if the ship is more unstable than usual. From the comments I have read most people dont seem to think it is too bad just a wee bit uncomfortable???

Alex, not sure who is posting that the Crown rocks and rolls more than other ships but if they are, they don't know what they are talking about. There are so many factors that affect a ship's movement that to compare one to another is very, very difficult unless you have all the marine and nautical information from where the ship is sailing. Wind velocity and direction, wave height and direction, ship's speed, currents, etc. all affect how much movement a ship will experience.

The weather in the North Atlantic can be as unpredictable as that in the Southern Atlantic. It could be warm, cold, calm, rocky, etc. September is hurricane season and many hurricanes eventually travel up the East Coast, either inland or offshore and head northeast towards Europe. The jet stream and Gulf Stream are big factors.

Whenever you cruise in September, the rates are usually good because there's always the possibility of a hurricane or other weather disruption whether it's in the Caribbean or north Atlantic. However, if you book on the Crown, you won't experience any more movement than if you were on the Caribbean, Grand, Ruby or one of the other Grand-class ships.

Archived